Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

What is Pioneer Premier sub ? ? ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 08:19 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by NOLA_tC
Since I've never seen the ED box in person, only in not-so-good photos, can anyone answer why the sides are recessed in??
Doesn't that just waste potential airspace for the inside of the box?
Does anyone know the exact airspace of the ED box? Is it .3 cubic feet?
I don't know what the cubic airspace is, but yes, it is small wasted area that could be added to create more airspace. Their construction of this box is pretty poor.

Here's how they shipped it to me.

Old 10-07-2008, 08:32 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok, and now after all my complaining, here's a few pics of how it looks after I got done with it.

I also built an amp mount to fit in the spare tire out of plywood, and covered it in the same carpet. I think it's looks pretty pro, but please give me your opinions.
Old 10-07-2008, 05:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Looks great after what you did to it with the carpeting and all. That chipped corner of the box would have bugged me too.

Well, I tried that, and after going thru 2 batteries for my drill..... I went to my neighbor's and used his router. I then used the grinder to smooth it up.
But I have a pneumatic one that just runs off a compressor. Would it take too long to do it this way though? If so I might have to see if my neighbor has a router....

I also plan on mounting the amp where you have it on a piece of plywood. I like how you flipped it upside down though to make it even more stealth, but is it ok to run the amp like that? I always thought the heat wouldn't dissipate properly.

Sorry for all the questions/comments but I'm away at school right now and all the parts have been delivered back home. So I can't really see them side by side and I plan on doing this install while I'm home this weekend. Just trying to get as much info as I can.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:37 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by cavalierkid888
Looks great after what you did to it with the carpeting and all. That chipped corner of the box would have bugged me too.

Well, I tried that, and after going thru 2 batteries for my drill..... I went to my neighbor's and used his router. I then used the grinder to smooth it up.
But I have a pneumatic one that just runs off a compressor. Would it take too long to do it this way though? If so I might have to see if my neighbor has a router....

I also plan on mounting the amp where you have it on a piece of plywood. I like how you flipped it upside down though to make it even more stealth, but is it ok to run the amp like that? I always thought the heat wouldn't dissipate properly.

Sorry for all the questions/comments but I'm away at school right now and all the parts have been delivered back home. So I can't really see them side by side and I plan on doing this install while I'm home this weekend. Just trying to get as much info as I can.
Hey, more info is better. Ask as many questions as you can. I wish I had asked more before buying mine.

As far as the grinder, yes, I think you can do it that way, and it would turn out nice. I'm sure that would do it a lot quicker then my drill. Just be patient, and don't rush it.

As for the heat, I don't see mine as a problem, as it's not a huge amp, and there are air holes in the spare. It was my choice to mount it that way, but upside-down doesn't hurt anything. All the components are solid, and nothing will be affected by it. I also don't run my amp that hard like others do, so I'm not worried about overheating it. If it were running 2 sub's, maybe I'd be more concerned, but the load for me is pretty small. I like a little extra bass, but don't need to be heard down the street, hense the stealth setup.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I see, thanks for all the input.

Another thing I forgot to mention...does the sub hit the floor at all when your playing music or is recessed enough in the box. I heard some people putting various objects under the floor to lift it up, is this the same with the pioneer?
Old 10-07-2008, 11:50 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I see, thanks for all the input.

Another thing I forgot to mention...does the sub hit the floor at all when your playing music or is recessed enough in the box. I heard some people putting various objects under the floor to lift it up, is this the same with the pioneer?
Since I used a router to cut the lip, the sub itself is recessed into the box. The box appears to be even in height like the OEM sub was, but there is a bit of space between the amp mount and the false floor. I am looking into adding something there for weight support, but right now it doesn't seem like an issue.
Old 10-11-2008, 05:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Well I i finally finished the setup, router is a MUST. Forget using a die grinder, it would've taken forever. Luckily my neighbor had a router. This sub sounds really good, I'm impressed.
Old 10-11-2008, 05:40 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well I i finally finished the setup, router is a MUST forget using a die grinder would've taken forever. Luckily my neighbor had a router. This sub sounds really good, I'm impressed.
Yeah, it sounds killer. Glad I'm not the only one on here that went through all this trouble. Too bad Elemental Designs misrepresents their product. It shouldn't be this hard to install a 10" sub in a 10" box. For $150, you'd think you could get the hole cut to the right size.
Old 10-11-2008, 06:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

agreed, they should state in the description of the box that It will NOT fit most 10" subs