Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

What's a good 8" Sub

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 05:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

EU-700s would be good for mid-bass, don't count on them as subs. Look at the fs graph. Granted it's not the in car but it gives you an idea. I ran 2 as subs for a little and they can't cut it for me and I'm not going to run like 8 of them just to get the SPL I need.
Old 10-04-2007, 06:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by trialsindude
^^^^^ very sheltered about big subwoofers...
no not at all....but if you wanna compare a 6.5 to a 12 inch....go ahead....you're just gonna look like a retard though. there's a reason that 12" subs are the reference today. 6.5's are meant for midrange and midbass duty...that's what they excel it.

i'd happily recommend a 6.5" tang band neo to anyone looking for a 6.5" sub. i can't say i'd recommend eu-700/7kv.2's.

im not being a dip____ about either.....your impression of 6.5" subs is off of a video...mine is off of owning them. big difference bud. and if you look one post above this one...there's another former eu-700 owner who was dissatisfied with them....they simply dont provide the same bass a 10 or 12 would. there's no denying that. honestly man, dont give recommendations unless you've heard the sub in person.
Old 10-04-2007, 08:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Strictly Scionized
SL Member

So a guy that did 143db with 4 eu700 on a TL mic is way off then? That hellboy video of the 2 8" subs that did 142db on a TL mic is false also? Why is making a small sub loud retarded? The OP wanted to glass some small subs in the corner of his trunk to save space. I was just telling him that there is nothing wrong with small subs.

Who said that 12" are the reference today. LOL

I personally owned a ____ load of subs from eights to fifteens.

Dissatisfied of an eu-700 that you probably didn't build it up correctly?

You're the typical kid that will run around saying oh a 15" will hit lower than a 10". LOL

I right now am currently running a 12" RE/FI semi-hybrid sub in a 2.0cuft box tuned to 32hz and did 139db@42hz with the old dual 4ohm VC. Also have a 15" FI BL in a 3.5cuft box tuned to 34hz that hit 141db@44hz.

Big subs are cool but when I see some guy local to me do 156db with 1 10" sub...there's something cool about making small subs go boom.

You make it sound the bigger the sub the louder it will be. But you forgot one thing....its all in the enclosure.
Old 10-04-2007, 09:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

These's alot of people I know that can get the small subs to go boom. I went to a spl Comp. once to compete with my JLW6 and there was a guy there who hit a 156db with two 8" Kicker squares. Of course it was in a suv that was built for spl and the boxes took up the whole trunk plus some. But all I'm saying is whats a good cheap 8" sub. I've also considered just running 1 10" sub. But anyway everyone on here is listing off subs I've never heard of. Again I just want a good cheap sub that will take up min. space in my corners that will sound decent and have decent thump to it. I do not running this sub for any comp. at all. It will be fiberglassed and stritcly for shows.
Old 10-04-2007, 10:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

These are 8inchers that I've personally tried:
Kicker CompVRs $44.99/54.99
Rockford Fosgates P2 $54.99
Image Dynamics ID8 v3 $99.99
Elemental Designs 9kv2 $55
Currently> TC Sounds TC-1000 $159

The best and loudest one out of the bunch is the TC-1000 since it has the most Xmax, power handling, magnet (135oz) and weight (17lbs). The CVRs and Rockfords were loud but sq was not as good. the Elemental Designs and Image Dynamics were good SQ subs but could not get as loud.
Old 10-04-2007, 10:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

rl-i8s!! but i'm biased.
Old 10-04-2007, 10:50 PM
SL Member

Default great 8" sub

Go with the kisker solo baric L5 or L7 8 " sub. handels great power, three different cu. ft box sizes if you plan ported or sealed. Sounds great and looks sweet in the hatch area. i've had 15's,12's,and 10's I currently have 4 solo Eights in my hatch. Get 'em
Old 10-04-2007, 11:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

TC Sounds makes the rl-i8s which is almost the same as a 8" tc-1000
Old 10-05-2007, 12:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Strictly Scionized
SL Member

Go with the Rli8 if you can find it or go with the tc1000s go to their website they apparently have "less then 10" available for the old price of 169. The Crystal CMP8s are awesome too and they can handle a lot of power. Go to realmofexcursion store and they should have it there. $99 each.
Old 10-05-2007, 12:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

So a guy that did 143db with 4 eu700 on a TL mic is way off then? That hellboy video of the 2 8" subs that did 142db on a TL mic is false also? Why is making a small sub loud retarded? The OP wanted to glass some small subs in the corner of his trunk to save space. I was just telling him that there is nothing wrong with small subs.

Who said that 12" are the reference today. LOL

I personally owned a poop load of subs from eights to fifteens.

Dissatisfied of an eu-700 that you probably didn't build it up correctly?

You're the typical kid that will run around saying oh a 15" will hit lower than a 10". LOL

I right now am currently running a 12" RE/FI semi-hybrid sub in a 2.0cuft box tuned to 32hz and did 139db@42hz with the old dual 4ohm VC. Also have a 15" FI BL in a 3.5cuft box tuned to 34hz that hit 141db@44hz.

Big subs are cool but when I see some guy local to me do 156db with 1 10" sub...there's something cool about making small subs go boom.

You make it sound the bigger the sub the louder it will be. But you forgot one thing....its all in the enclosure.
im not a typical kid buddy....i own my own audio shop k? i'm an authorized retailer for CDT, Stereo Integrity, and Sundown. I do know a little, thank you. I'm not talking about strictly SPL, in fact...i'm really not talking about SPL that much at all....Keeshwah was.....don't come after me for his comments

a 12" sub has the ability to go lower than a 6.5" sub. period. end of sentence.

lets look at something for a sec: Fs of a 7Kv.2: 28hz. to keep stuff in the same company...ill stick with eD stuff. Fs of a 13Ov.2: 21hz.

throw all that you want out there, i dont care what you say. a single 12" sub in a top notch enclosure will sound better than a single 6.5" sub in a top notch enclosure. the 12" will dip lower in the frequency range and play low notes with much more authority than a 6.5" sub. dont believe me? go call eD up and ask em. tell em you want the sub that's gonna play the lowest out of their entire line. tell em you think its the 7kv.2, ask em what their opinion is. ill throw a cool grand down that they tell you they've got larger subs that will play with much better authority at lower notes. you can't argue physics bud. a properly designed 12" will get lower and sound better than a properly designed 6.5"

i never argued with you about SPL and if the 7kv's are capable of hitting it. i never argued with you about the videos. do this for me, cause i've already done this so i can verify this for you....take a 12" SI Mag and compare it to a 7Kv.2......tell me what hits the lower notes with more authority. i anxiously await your answer.

i'm not into SPL. i prefer my subs to sound good....hence sound quality. they dont need to be loud as ****. i'd rather be able to hear the individual drumbeat than have my sub just muddle on through them with no distinction between each one.

congratulations, i'm happy you did 139 on a 12" sub. im very impressed by you. please keep up the good work. in the meantime, stop arguing the laws of physics unless you've got a PhD in physics that i'm unaware about. and stop being a bonehead about what im saying. im not arguing SPL at all. im arguing SOUND QUALITY. you show me a 6.5" sub that can hit lower than a 12" Mag or anything of equal caliber and ill buy it from you for 500% over retail. i dont give a rat's ___ how loud something is. i care about hearing the freakin music, hearing the DETAILS of the music....not hearing my car when im 5 blocks down the road.
Old 10-05-2007, 01:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Strictly Scionized
SL Member

I'm glad you own your own company. WOW

PhD...close enough.

Like I said it's all in the enclosure. I'm pretty sure all the people that have to much time on their hands that build boxes day after day that experiment with small subs can make it "hit lower" than a 12".

I hope people don't buy stuff from you because like I said previously you are basically saying that bigger the better, those poor people all going to be misinformed. Also who said that LOUD=less SQ?
i'm not into SPL. i prefer my subs to sound good....hence sound quality. they dont need to be loud as ****. i'd rather be able to hear the individual drumbeat than have my sub just muddle on through them with no distinction between each one.
Also note that I said I did 139@42hz. People that do SPL comps will tune higher upwards of 60hz...WHICH is not musical for daily.

But also you are missing on thing here, the bigger the sub the bigger the box. Back to the OP that wanted a small sub so he can glass it into the corner of the trunk.

PS I could care less about a 6.5" sub, it was just brought up as an extreme for small subwoofer/midbass that can be used for spl.
Don't worry I'll be back with some 8s that will go lower...
OHHHH maybe I should go with 12s since they are the end of all mankind of subwoofers. 12s are GOD. You have converted me oh great one.

Move on with your life.
The 12" marketing companies will be SO proud of you.
Old 10-05-2007, 02:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

When I meant my eu-700s didn't make enough spl for me I forgot to mention in relation to it's ability to perform at the frequencies I was asking it to play at. Which was 80hz and down. I used 2 sealed in a box that eD made. They were impressive but not as subs. They have no low end extension (at least in the application I used them in) and I can't recommend them to be used as subs because of that. I want as loud of a sub as I can get with as flat of a response as possible.

In regards to trying to convince the OP to get a larger sub, my argument has always been "Why do you want 2 subs when you can have 1 nice one?". 1 nice will be in a smaller box, generally will be louder, and have better low end extension. Also, when you buy one nice one you can always decide later, that hey I want another, and then run 2.
Old 10-05-2007, 02:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

back to my original point......he's taking up the whole corner of his trunk anyways...might as well put it to good use.

Fi BL and SQ have never been in the same sentence. so im glad you're doing well on your BL, i hope you enjoy the SQ that it provides.

i will stick to my original stance. when both in optimal enclosures, a 12" sub will hit lower than a 7Kv.2. sry that offends you.
Old 10-05-2007, 02:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

tens only!!!!! everything else sounds like butt!

just kidding of course. size doesn't have anything to do with how low the sub will play. my single ten extends down as low as anybody will ever need for playing music.
Old 10-05-2007, 02:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Strictly Scionized
SL Member

So the louder the sub is the less SQ then? That's what you are trying to say.
Old 10-05-2007, 02:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So the louder the sub is the less SQ then? That's what you are trying to say.
that towards me or the other guy?
Old 10-05-2007, 02:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Strictly Scionized
SL Member

other...

we all need to live our life 20hz at a time..
Old 10-05-2007, 02:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

nice haha. i have a fascination with seeing subs move far and slow. i like playing 7hz tones and watching it.
Old 10-05-2007, 02:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Strictly Scionized
SL Member

yeah only thing is dropping low is bottoming out!
Old 10-05-2007, 02:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the only time my sub has bottomed was playing it free air at almost rated power. i had it under control though.

Quick Reply: What's a good 8" Sub