Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

WTF SUNROOF SHATTERED

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2006, 12:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

temperature can do strange things. My friend watched his windshild crack right before his eyes while he was washing his car. It was somewhat warm from the sun, and the crack started and spread across when the windshield got wet. It's a freak occurrence usually related to a temperature change in conjunction with a minor defect in the glass that creates a weak point.
Old 05-06-2006, 01:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well......... i was told toyota doesnt warranty glass and that the same thing happend to one of the techs sunroof on his celica. The estimate was $719................ i pay my deductible which is $500 !!!!
Old 05-06-2006, 01:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That's suck..... but I already know dealer will say that to make you pay for the repair.... that's why I reduce my deductible to $250 and pay 60 buck more per year to cover my butt.....just because this freakin glass roof
Old 05-06-2006, 02:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

why not just pay less than the huge deductable and get unlimited glass coverage??? In MN they dont offer insurance without it, at least not that I know of. No deductable on glass.
Old 05-06-2006, 01:11 PM
5 Year Member

man!, that REALLY sucks guys! that makes me NOT wanna get a scion tc. i have a 2002 civic Ex and i'm looking to getting into either a 2005 civic SI (hatch) or a 2006 scion tc. but for someone like me that kinda hates "moon roofs" and the tc's roof of the car is COMPLETELY GLASS LOL. i'm kinda thinking twice about this. but i love tc's. i think those cars are worth every penny purchased. but you guys are scaring me with this "why did my roof crack suddenly right before my very eyes" thingy. ehhh!, i don't know.
Old 05-06-2006, 04:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

a TINY percentage of owners have had this issue. I love the moonroof. I have driven 5 hours straight at 80mph with it open a few times and keep it open all the time in the warm months. I have heard of the same thing happening to glass on other cars as well. Even back windows shattering sitting on the show room floor on a jeep Talk about a car not selling itself :D
Old 05-06-2006, 04:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I agree, only tiny percentage of tC owners had this issue. I guess if tC glass roof has problem, Toyota won't put the same roof on the latest 07 Lexus ES350.
Old 05-06-2006, 06:22 PM
5 Year Member

ok i see. well can you guys tell me if the moonroof of the scion tc will leak water into the car being that the whole entire roof of the car is one big sunroof? have there ever been any issues with the scion tc's sunroof leaking water into the car? do they lock in tight enough when they are closed? cause i'm going to end up going to the car wash alot and using their pressure washer gun to clean my car. i'm hoping that the pressure washer gun and it's pressure won't spray inside through the seals and into the car. ofcourse i know better than to get up close to the paint job and up to the moonroof. i'm not that stupid.
Old 05-06-2006, 06:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Haaa you bring your car to car wash? You are kidding right? I will never trust those carh wash places even they are touchless...

I am sure the roof are well sealed and never heard anything about leaking.
Old 05-06-2006, 07:09 PM
5 Year Member

i don't use the brushes they have there. i use my own soap and bucket. some of the car washes here in florida let you bring your own bucket and soap. if i don't use my own soap. i use the little gun they have that shoots out some kinda tripple foamy suds out of it that sprays on the car and i let it soak on there and then take a large microfiber rag and use it to wash my car with, using that tripple foamy soap i sprayed onto my car. then i'll use the pressure washing guns to rinse off my car. maybe sometime soon, i'll be able to wash my SCION TC like this when i HOPEFULLY get it you guys are all lucky to own sucha great car.

i really wanna ask you guys if it was hard to get yourselves into those scion tc's. was it hard to get approved and own one? and how much do you guys pay for your scions a month and how much did the car come to be at the end of the total price and bargain with the salesmen? how much in TOTAL is your scion tc? all i want is a plain ole base model with no kinda added special features on it. just what it comes with. the only thing i want is for it to be white and for it to be manual (5spd)
Old 05-06-2006, 07:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by tcBlue
Haaa you bring your car to car wash? You are kidding right? I will never trust those carh wash places even they are touchless...

I am sure the roof are well sealed and never heard anything about leaking.
He wasnt refferring to an automatic wash... I would actually go to a car wash every now and then when I didnt feel like hand washing if we had more non automatic washes here. But here in the twin cities, finding one that is not a drive through auto wash is like pulling teeth.

But to answer your question about the leaking, I have used the high pressure wands when I was back home visiting, and purposely sprayed it all around the sunroof seals and nothing made it through. The downfall of any sunroof is that you have more potential for leaking down the road, but the way ours sits on the seals I think it would be tough for water to get in until the seals were shot.
Old 05-06-2006, 07:51 PM
5 Year Member

ok cool. can someone answer my last post? about monthly payments and total balance of the car etc?
Old 05-06-2006, 07:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well since scion has pure price there is no negotiations. Even us toyota/scion employees pay full price. I bought an 06 complete base model without side air bags and it was $18,300 after t/t/l. I put 4k down so my payments came out to 275 a month for 60 months. I got into mine with no trouble whatsoever. I did my entire sale over the phone actually. Most good dealers will contact as many places as they can to get you financed. So don't plan on trying to do anything that requires them to check your credit score for a while after. I ended up with toyota financial as they had the best rates and could finance me. The larger your down payment the easier you are to finance.
Old 05-06-2006, 08:45 PM
5 Year Member

Well, I was planning on putting down anywhere from 1500 to 2000 dollars down. I'm hoping that, that would be enough. I'm hoping to NOT pay no more than 300 dollars a month. And my bank is a federal credit union bank and they have GREAT rates. My credit score is 654 and my credit history although isn't long. It's good.
Old 05-06-2006, 08:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That should be good enough for a credit union. They tend to be easier to get loans through. If you want to figure out how much it will cost a month goto scion.com build your car and use the payment calculator. Estimate an interest rate if you aren't sure and whatever it comes up with add $10-20 for the sake of variables. i always round everything up when it comes to figuring out my bills.
Old 05-06-2006, 08:55 PM
5 Year Member

hmm. here's the thing too. i'm also looking to trade in my 2002 honda civic Ex for my 2006 scion tc. i owe 9,600 on it now. but by the time i go to do a deal with toyota. i'll have my car's balance to about maybe 8,800 so it'll be less. i'm just hoping that toyota will take my car off my hands and put me into a 2006 scion tc and i could start to pay that off and be happy. i don't really want my civic anymore. i like hondas but i'm looking to get myself into a new car. everyone deserves the chance at getting themselves into a new car....right? i'm thinking this is my chance come August or September. my car right now has 50,300 miles on it. it's white and a 5speed.
Old 05-06-2006, 08:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^ What he said, go to Scion.com to build your tC, and you will see how much is the total.

Dealer usually charge $50 or something for document fee, plus tax, tag and title fee.

I got my 05 IIP with side airbag 5 spd. I put down 3K for deposit and my interest rate is 4.1%' with E-loan. Since you don't have to play with the saleman to get a good deal, the entire process of getting my tC is very easy.
Old 05-06-2006, 08:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Johnold
hmm. here's the thing too. i'm also looking to trade in my 2002 honda civic Ex for my 2006 scion tc. i owe 9,600 on it now. but by the time i go to do a deal with toyota. i'll have my car's balance to about maybe 8,800 so it'll be less. i'm just hoping that toyota will take my car off my hands and put me into a 2006 scion tc and i could start to pay that off and be happy. i don't really want my civic anymore. i like hondas but i'm looking to get myself into a new car. everyone deserves the chance at getting themselves into a new car....right? i'm thinking this is my chance come August or September. my car right now has 50,300 miles on it. it's white and a 5speed.
If I were you, I would pay up the Civic then sale it yourself before getting the tC. I sold my 95 Civic EX with 100K miles and get my tC last year.
Old 05-06-2006, 09:20 PM
5 Year Member

yeah right!. if i were to pay my civic off. i'd NEVER get my scion tc!. i'd be paying off my civic forever then. by the way. i didn't get my civic from a dealership. i bought it from a PRIVATE SELLER. about a year ago. and yes, i'm already looking to get rid of my civic. so there's no reason why i can't get a 2006 Tc if i were to trade in my civic. my civic is in GREAT shape. i plan on detailing it to make it pretty for the salesmen to see it when they do. so the first apearance can be the best first apearance.

i have no warrante on my civic. as i said before. i bought it from a private seller. for 11,200. and now i'm down to 9,600. i should have it down to around 8,800 when i bring it in for trade in.
Old 05-06-2006, 09:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

As a suggestion you could try to sell your civic private party to someone for what you owe with a little extra, then pay off your loan, give them the title and use whats left as a down payment. I did this when I purchased my tc. I owed money on credit cards and what not from my eclipse, so I sold my car for slightly over what I needed to pay off all my bills from my car and used the rest as a deposit.

Quick Reply: WTF SUNROOF SHATTERED