Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

$ 3500 Damage to my driver's side door and quarter panel....

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 08:26 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default $ 3500 Damage to my driver's side door and quarter panel....

Yes, back in mid August, I was spending the weekend at a girl's house who I have been seeing for a while now....

It was early in the morning on a Saturday and her mother comes up and knocks on the door....my girl gets up to answer it....and I here some mumbling and then I hear...."yeah it's like kinda bad...."....this kinda made me wake up a little more because now I was curious....so she steps into the room and goes "hey alex, i hit your car...." Well, I was half asleep and everyone I know says that to me because they make fun of me all the time because i love my Scion so much....so I thought she was joking....i was like "har-dee har har..." Then i look at my girl's face.....and I can see she is about to cry.....I am like "oh, no ...you aren't for real are you??!!" She is like "well it's not that bad..." I am like "go down there....I will put on some pants and be down in a bit...."

The whole time I am like "this can't be ____ing happening....WTF!! It better be 'not that bad!!"

So I am slowly walking out of the house out to the driveway where the mother and daugher are already standing and accessing the damage.....I could tell by the fact that my girl was crying that it was ALOT WORSE THAN what she was telling me.....

So I walk around the car to see the driver side door and back quarter panel knocked in! She friggn got into her huge ___ Buick and just backed up without even looking and must have hit it going about 5 to 10 miles an hour! (of course no damage to her car other than my high gloss finished smeared on her bumper that she just wiped off)

Here is the rediculous part.....I was parked perpendicularly behind her....so she was horizontal and I was parked right behind her vertically.....she had to WALK AROUND MY CAR TO GET INTO HER CAR AND SHE STILL PLOWED INTO IT LIKE IT WASN'T THERE!!!

Now I am just standing there like "how the ____ DO YOU DO THAT! ARE YOU DRUNK??!! WTF DRUGS ARE YOU ON WOMAN!!" I am trying not to flip out on this lady.....in my head I am like "&(*&^#@*(#&(#&@^&!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" But on the outside I am like "wow...this sucks..." I took it rather well considering how obsessed with the car I am. I think what made this situation ok was the fact that she agreed to pay any and all damages for the car....I also claimed it on her insurance and I proved that she was 100 percent liable....so my rates don't change.....

So she goes " I will contact you later about the info, I have to go to work...." Leaving me and my girl to take care of this mess and ruining our weekend plans....because that very day I wanted to get it appraised so I could hurry up and get it fixed.....

Well fast forward to three weeks ago. I contact Boch Toyota Collision center in Norwood to fix my car. The appraisal guy said it would take four days. So i plan to borrow someone's car and then pick up my car on the monday following. well i go there and the guy is like "uh...no way man...this is going to take two weeks and they under appraised the car. We have to take it apart...get it re-appraised...and approved by the insurance and get it painted before you can have it back....."

Well when he said 2 weeks, that was 3 weeks ago. After this weekend it will be going on 4 weeks!!!!!! Apparently there is alot of labor intensive body work that had to be done....I think they had to weld a new frame to the existing one or something and they had to strip the whole left side of the car and ____....and they had to gut most of the interior.....SUPPOSEDLY....I will be getting the car back this Wed.....if everything goes according to plan......right now it is sitting in a line of cars getting waited to be painted........so the brunt end of the work is done as far as working on the body of the car.....seems to be all down hill from here....

Anyway.....I am just glad I will have the car back before the ScionExposed show in October....because i have some mods waiting for it when my baby comes back home!! hahaha

Here are some pics of the damage!

Click on the image for full size:

Old 09-22-2006, 08:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

At least it's all taken care of. The damage doesn't really look that bad. ::Sigh:: ?
Old 09-22-2006, 08:38 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I am wicked obsessive over this car...haha...so even something that isn't big is going to bug me....I am trying to keep this car looking really nice for as long as I can...
Old 09-22-2006, 08:39 PM
ehj
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have a used beat up Mitsubishi Mirage over 10 years ago. The car was worth about $800 and it needed about a $1,500 body repair. Insurance paid me the value and I bought a beat up Subaru. I do miss that car. The 4wd was cool, I had fun in a muddy empty lot. I did drifts and donuts without fear of killing the drivetrain.
Old 09-22-2006, 09:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

i bought my car from boch, haha.
Old 09-22-2006, 09:35 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

well...Boch covers most of MA....they are number one around here...I am not suprised....I got mine from Copeland in Brockton...
Old 09-22-2006, 09:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It might not seem like a lot but the B pillar also got bent so thats probably why it took so long. A few years ago I got into an accident with my old car (2000 Mazda 626). Some lady made a Uturn from the outermost lane (3 lanes going up a hill, I was in the far left she in the far right) and decided to make a uturn. Plowed right into my side as well going about 15-20mph. Damage looked exactly like that (only from the passenger side heh) and it took them 3 weeks to fix.

At least it looked like brand new after all was said and done.
Old 09-23-2006, 10:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Revolt Imports
SL Member

this is deja vu, that sucks, hope the workmanship is great on that.

i was parked the same way at a buddy's house, we drive to work together, i parked in the same spot as i have for the past several months, he backs right into the car. i was in the car with him. took alot not to flip out. he hit the rear panel by the wheel well.

did they replace the rear panel? if they had to replace it, just to do the rear panel is about a 20 hr job. they have to cut factory welds (which is something to avoid if possible) and take apart pretty much the entire car; hatch, bumper, door, undo wireing, whole sunroof. the techs ended up repairing it cause they didn't want to cut the welds. it looks good, but i still know it was damaged, and that sucks.

if you went through her insurance, you shouldn't have to borrow a car, they are obligated to provide you a rental for the entire time the car is in the shop.
Old 09-25-2006, 07:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

man, that sux! i know what it's like to obsess over tC damage. I got rear-ended last week in my 2007 and the kid that hit me tried to take off. the damage to my bumper is minor, but still, it's hard not to obsess over everything. i hope your car gets back to you 100% perfect.
Old 09-25-2006, 07:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

good luck!!
Old 09-25-2006, 07:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One
SL Member

ouch, that sucks man, hopefully it still drives the same when you get it back..
Old 09-26-2006, 02:52 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

thanks everyone for the support! I should be getting it soon! I will let everyone know how it turns out!
Old 09-26-2006, 02:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Same thing happened to me. Mine was a bit worse though.

Old 09-26-2006, 03:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

metalhazetc, I was almost expecting to read at the end of your story "me and the girl are no longer seeing each other" lol But hey it's good that you kept your cool, I give you credit for that, I don't know what I would have done in the same situation. Hope everything goes good and be sure to put up some "after" pics when you get your ride back.
Old 09-26-2006, 03:23 AM
5 Year Member

SL Member

omg, wow.
Old 09-26-2006, 03:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

at least you didn't end up like me:

I know how you feel. I can't drive mine right now though... I'm so, so, so sad.

Hopefully the guys at toyota will get off their butts and hurry to get to work on your car so you can enjoy driving the tc again like we all do.
Old 09-26-2006, 04:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

ohhhhh owwwwww aghhhhh
Old 09-26-2006, 05:32 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think that last pic made me sick to my stomach....haha...omg man...I am so sorry to see that.....At least I was able to drive around with my damage....yours is just totally gone.....I hope they don't take a long time fixing yours! I can tell you you are going to hate not having your car....just a couple days of not having my Scion was driving me nuts!