Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

*DG spec coilovers installed!* Batman's Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 02:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hey man, glad to see you're still on lol.
About the wheel spacers, I'll start by saying I love mine, they made a huge difference in appearance. However I was on the fence for quite some time before purchase, I researched the saftey issues for weeks and theres so much opinion out there you eventually just gotta decide for yourself.
Theres a thread on here that was actually pretty helpful, I'll see if I can still find it for ya.
If you're going to get em, its very important to buy a high quality product, I recommend Ichiba, thats what I'm running and I've only heard good things from others.
Most importantly, the spacers must be hubcentric. The danger of wheel spacers comes from relocating the weight of the wheel to the studs rather than the hub itself and from allowing the wheel to be mounted slightly off center. A quality hubcentric ring prevents both of these things from happening.
Some aregue that there is still risk but I've thought it through very thoroughly and It seems to me that hubcentric spacers are not dangerous as long as your carefull.
Like I said I like mine a lot and I havent had any problems yet even through a drive from New Orleans to Detroit...*knock on wood*
Old 01-04-2012, 05:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

oh snap bat has a Batcycle now...... and it's black and red lulz.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

oh you know the whip and chopper gotta match

small update, I threw a new head unit in my car last night. Did away with the Kenwood DNX5120 that I had been running for several years and installed a new Pioneer AVIC-X930BT.

Name:  8693158c.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  79.8 KB

I love this new unit. There are a few things I miss about my Kenwood, such as how it displayed the legal speed limit and gps calculated current speed on the navi map... but overall the Pioneer is a big improvement. More functions and definitely better audio quality. I'll be posting more pics or maybe a vid soon.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

how do you like the pandora/blutooth music feature on it? also whats load up time like? i have a 910bt and i love it, but it takes about 30-45 seconds of load up which is normal for that unit.

oh and did you do the dvd/navi override yet. i couldnt live without that, i just want to know if it is the same to override - pulling out a pin from the giro?
Old 01-06-2012, 05:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The Pandora feature is awesome and the bluetooth music is surprisingly impressive.I expected the sound quality of BT audio to be significantly worse than other sources and while there is a noticeable difference it really isnt all that objectionable for casual listening. I was especially impressed by the fact that the unit supports track up/track down on bluetooth playback, the BT audio I have seen in the past never served as more than a wireless AUX chord so album art and track up/down support was a great surprise.

I am still working on getting the bypass to work. Apparently you have to remove a wire from one of the connectors, put it into a different pin and ground it. This didnt work for me but I've checked around and this seems like it works for almost anyone. Those who had problems found they just werent getting a successful connection between the moved pin and the unit.

I'll update when I get the bypass working.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

good to know, thanks.

ps...this hu might give me wood. just saying
Old 01-07-2012, 06:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Got the bypass working, so happy.

Theres only one thing left to do for this head unit. One of the things that bothers me is that the only way the HU knows to dim is when the headlights are on.This really bugs me because I often drive with my headlights on even during the day. I'm not lookin to always have the unit dim even when theres bright sunlight and I also dont want the navigation map to be essentially stuck on the night-time color scheme (light on dark).
To get around this I ordered a light sensor relay from Directed Electronics. I'm going to hook it up so that when its sunny out, the signal from the headlights to the HU is cut. I'll post a how to in the ICE forum when I get around to doing this.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I installed an OEM rear lip spoiler about a week ago. It actually isnt a genuine Toyota part, its a replica I grabbed off eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2005-2008-Sc...40fbf4&vxp=mtr

I was a little nervous about what the quality was going to be like but honestly I'm very impressed, especially with the paint. It is absolutely a perfect match, so it was great to be able to just slap it on. I should have taken pictures of the bottom before installing but I forgot to, but it actually doesnt even have the studs that you need to drill the hatch for. Instead there are two threaded holes and 2 bolts that screw into the spoiler, so if you do want to drill, you just screw the bolts into the spoiler from inside the trunk rather than tightening nuts onto the studs. I didnt want to drill so I just used gratuitous amounts of 3M tape. Heres the final results:

Name:  rear_with_lip.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  150.8 KB

Like I said the color match is really impressive, the fitment on the other hand is just a tad off. I spent a while finding the best placement so I'm confident its as good as it can be, which is pretty good... there is just a little gap under the "tabs" that hang down on either side. I'll try to get pics but the gap is actually so small I cant seem to capture it on camera
Old 03-06-2012, 02:18 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

That looks really good. Too bad they dont have Nautical Blue Metallic. I think blue ribbon would be too light.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just wanted to show off the joy of keeping a (almost) 100% usable trunk:

Name:  550e58ef.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  346.3 KB

Also I made a new engine cover recently:

Name:  a7315b8b.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  361.8 KB
Old 05-09-2012, 06:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

↑↑↑ = ♥ lol
Old 05-11-2012, 02:30 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

that's a hot car, keep it up!!
Old 05-13-2012, 02:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Scionara
SL Member

Whats up buddy! car is looking great! i dont know if you remember me or not but met up at couple team scionara meets and woodward. i got the blue tc with the gold rotas. Love your interior man looks so clean and the engine cover makes the engine bay look dope! hope to see you around woodward or car meet sometime.
Old 05-13-2012, 07:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey man, yeah I remember you and your tC, last summer was fun

I'll be back up in the Mitten and cruisin woodward by the end of May. We still need to get together and get some better pics with a real camera and not my phone lol
Old 05-18-2012, 09:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Scionara
SL Member

hell yeah man! let me know when your back in the area and will take some photos for sure. BTW that pic u posted looks nice haha!
Old 05-20-2012, 03:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So I emptied my Saikou Michi Catch cans today. It's been 5,400 miles since I last opened em. I didnt get anything out of the can on the breather line, but from the can on the PCV line, heres what I collected

Name:  0f4766ac.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  273.7 KB

Here's a link to a more detailed review of this product:

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=200702

While I was in there I also swapped out the hose going from the intake to one of the cans for a line with stainless steel braided housing. I was having a problem with the rubber hose kinking so hopefully this solves the issue:

Name:  e5ae4610.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  343.3 KB

Name:  66d9bb9f.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  319.9 KB

The last thing I want to say in this little update is f&#^ HIDextra. Their kits are absolute crap. In my time dealing with them I have gone through 5 bulbs and today one of their ballasts went out on me for the second time! To their credit they are usually pretty good about exchanges. The first time one of their ballasts went out on me they replaced it for free but now the other one has gone out and combined with how many of their bulbs also failed me I am done with them. I only ever gave them my business because I didn't know of any other HID company that so many people backed up. Honestly what is the deal with the hype?? Am I the only one having bad luck with them or something?! Anyways I just ordered a Morimoto kit from the Retrofit Source. It seems like the guys on this forum who actually know something about quality trust the Retrofit Source so hopefully this Morimoto kit will be the answers to my problems.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:15 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Actually I have that same lip spoiler, I didnt realize it wasnt OEM till now. But yeah, I agree that the paint matches nicely.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nice tC, love everything about it. How you liking NOLA? I'm in Metairie.
Old 05-21-2012, 12:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

HIDExtra's hype comes from wicked low prices, not quality. i have had the same problem with them. In about 2-3 years i've been through like 6 individual bulbs and a couple ballasts. bit i kept going with them because they kept being good about replacing what died on me, like you said.
Old 05-21-2012, 02:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Dang that Red on the dash is awesome. Is it still holding up? I may now do a blue variation. Did you wet sand all all that good stuff. Where can i find a thread to paint interior parts and have the paint look so smooth?

Quick Reply: *DG spec coilovers installed!* Batman's Thread