Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

*DIY END ALL! To Wind Deflector rattle*(Long)

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 08:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Well, hmmm. I don't want to take it back to the dealership then just to get a new grip handle when mine is fine. If it's not the cause of the rattle, then they can stick the new grip handle up their a$$es. I'll go elsewhere.
Old 07-11-2006, 09:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have the same clicking noise from the back / passenger side. I thought it was the ribs under the headliner hitting metal but I sound deadened some of it and the sound still exists.

Could this same rubber be used in the back? Maybe the actual moonroof doesnt fit flush and it needs some tension like the front deflector. I'm up to do anything since the rattle is getting annoying. I dont mind it that much with music blasting but when I have to take my mother to work in the morning, I obviously cant blast it and the click-click drives me mad.

I also have a kind of banging noise coming from the hatch. When I go over decent sized bumps/holes, it sounds as if something is flapping up and down in the back. I think it could be the actual hatch moving up and down, or the moonroof again moving much more so that it causes a clunk-clunk rather than a click-click
Old 07-12-2006, 02:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

yeah the actual hatch moves up and down. The latch needs to be adjusted...
Old 07-13-2006, 11:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

The roof rattle was fixed on my car by Bob Massie Toyota in White Oak, PA. They just installed the vibration damping system...a.k.a. felt pieces. There is a TSB on this rattle from toyota and that is their fix. It fixed mine, although it was a pain in the a$$ to install.
Old 08-16-2006, 04:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Update, for some reason the pics are no longer working. So, I am posting the pics again. Ignore the First DIY, and skip down to the revised DIY. This is the Revised method.

This one in particular is 5/16" thick and it will handle temperatures of -40F up to 140F.. There might be one thicker that this one, but I couldn't find any. This is 1000000Times better than what I was using in the previous DIY. It's about $3 MORE expensive than the rubber foam, but it looks better IMO. It also has an adhesive backing. The adhesive on this piece is a lot easier to remove and re-apply in the event that you are off in the alignment.

Now, be sure that you position the strip far FORWARD on the factory stripping, because when the sunroof is closed, the wind deflector will rest at this angle. If you place the new strip directly on top of the factory one, you will not provide any Tension on the wind deflector. So, it must be placed forward

If you still experience a little rattle, then you can either see if you can locate a Thicker rubber strip, or you can just Double Up on the stripping that you already have. My g/f tested it out, and said it was a lot better, but you can still slightly hear a little rattle. So, I'm going to double up on the strip when I get home, and take another pic.
Old 08-16-2006, 05:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

um...I don't see the pics again.
Old 08-16-2006, 05:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

^^Lol...they are there. I don't know what else to say.
Old 08-16-2006, 05:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

must be my work blocking shiznit again...all I get are red x's.

Old 08-16-2006, 10:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I went out and bought some weather stripping at Lowe's to try this out - my rattle was getting bad. While there I also picked up some lithium grease to try too. I reconsidered the weather stripping on the drive home - all I could find was brown or white and I didn't want to add something "DIY" on if I didn't have to. I got home and filled up the pivot points that connect the wind deflector to the little arms that push it up and now the rattle seems to be gone! Please note that these are not the front hinges that connect the leading edge of the wind deflector to the car, but the other place where they attach. There is a small hole (maybe 2mm) on the top side of them and you can just kinda squirt the grease in that hole to get it inside. I don't think this is a permanent fix, but it seems to stiffen everything up in there and keep it quiet for now. Unfortunately I've got a pretty wicked radio door cover squeak (very high pitched) and that's definitely worse than the sunroof rattle was... guess I've got another thread to check.