\"Mods\" hurt resale value

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 08:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by AKAvensis
whats with all the "\"'s?
My portable's browser sux. I hate "smart"phones.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:29 PM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

its funny that your stooping down to my level of stupidity

i don't drive a echo station wagon its a echo hatch back, the xB is a echo station wagon get your facts straight
Old 11-27-2007, 11:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by duck_dodgers_24_5
its funny that your stooping down to my level of stupidity

i don't drive a echo station wagon its a echo hatch back, the xB is a echo station wagon get your facts straight
It's funny how the money you wasted ricing your car, you could've bought a car that's actually fast. I do agree with you about calling yourself stupid.
Old 11-28-2007, 12:02 AM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yes btw i know my cars not fast and i just improved my fuel economy

if i wanted a fast car i would of bought a 5000 dollar car with a v-8
Old 11-28-2007, 12:26 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Concept in Motion Crew
SL Member

Frog vs crab! Fight! hahah jk calm down cwayne. you shouldn't be making fun of other peoples mod in the first place.
Old 11-28-2007, 12:28 AM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

and that with that 5000 dollar car it would be harder to find parts for compaired to my brand new car and the aftermarket parts for it is much cheaper then the car i really wanted
Old 11-28-2007, 12:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

BTW duck dodgers how do you like the weaponR engine damper?
Old 11-28-2007, 02:02 AM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i love it got rid of my wheel hop i don't mind the extra noise that comes with it either
Old 11-28-2007, 02:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Dakine
Frog vs crab! Fight! hahah jk calm down cwayne. you shouldn't be making fun of other peoples mod in the first place.
You're forgetting the frog was the troll.

He fired first shot, I shot back in retaliation.
Old 11-28-2007, 02:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Depends on if the mods are sellable in the market or not. Stuff like repainting is kind of a 50/50 thing.

I know a friend of mine sold his wrx w/ mods to a dealership for almost $5k above kelly blue book.

Someone else i know of (not personally) traded in a 04' xb with p.e supercharger, full exhaust, coilovers and rims and gained $2.5-$3k above resell value.

Of course not all people that put money in their cars will see a gain or profit from it, but it all depends on where you take it and what mods you have.

When my xb was totalled, they paid $1k above suggested resell value, although thats change compared to what i put in it, its still more than kbb.
Old 11-28-2007, 03:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I got $14.5k for my tC when I totalled it. I removed most of my sound system, but I lost my exhaust, intake, and the speakers. So, adding those and the lost value of the car, I lost $4000 dollars. Not bad considering the damage I did.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

I don't no what car I would get if my car gets totalled. First I would be in denial. Then I would part out with all the aftermarket parts. lol.

Probably a (used) 350z fairlady if possible
or a (used) evo mr ix
Old 11-28-2007, 07:47 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

When i went in to get my TC, i tried trading in my ford focus. I had some serious cash invested. Blue book was around 6500 and trade in was around 5, hell even wholesale was 3900. He offered me 2000. I told him i would drive the extra 75 miles to the next scion dealer and purchase my TC from them.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by Morals
When i went in to get my TC, i tried trading in my ford focus. I had some serious cash invested. Blue book was around 6500 and trade in was around 5, hell even wholesale was 3900. He offered me 2000. I told him i would drive the extra 75 miles to the next scion dealer and purchase my TC from them.
lol.
Old 11-28-2007, 08:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Morals
So what did you end up doing?

I had a similar situation with mine. The KBB was about $9,000, but I knew I would not be getting that much. I expected a little less, but I was offended when they only offered me $5,000. I was definitely expecting something more like $8,000. They started giving me BS about how my modifications had lowered the value, including $1,000 off because of the spoiler I installed, and numerous other things. They also told me it would cost them $1,500 to restore the condition of the car (despite the fact that I had kept it in absolutely perfect condition), and more BS about charging me $500 for the cost of the lot space which my car would occupy until it was sold, because they claimed they could easily fill that space with a better car and get a much faster sale. BS BS BS.

I already knew it was BS, but I really wanted to get rid of the old car and get my new tC. I pretended to walk out a couple of times, and, of course, they came running after me with a better offer. They got up to $6,000 and I still wasn't happy, so I did another fake walkout and I actually got in my car and started driving home. I didn't even want to drive home, I wanted to get my tC. So imagine my relief when they called me on my cellphone as I was halfway home and upped the offer to $6,500, and finally $6,800 after some negotiation over the phone. That is the price I settled on, so I drove back to the dealership and made the sale.

Even after setting the trade at $6,800, they still tried another dirty tactic. They made a "typo" on the final paperwork which set the value of my trade at $1,000 less, but I spotted the typo and they printed a new contract with the correct numbers. Supposedly if I didn't have the mods then I could have received $1,000 or $1,500 more. Oh well...
Old 11-28-2007, 08:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

Wow that is BS. I will never trust dealers again. I'd rather get a used sports car from a little old lady, lol.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Adrian-the-Red
The words that come out of dealers mouths mean nothing. They will give you the money for the car that you tell them, if they don't, you walk. Another dealer will.

"I know from experience dude." - That Damn Sasquatch
exactly. You can get what you want out of a dealership, you just have to work with them. When I traded in my tC for my new car, the new car was on the lot for 28k. I told the sales guy on the phone I wanted it for 28k OTD inc tax/fees/and whatever else. I get there, they tried BS like 2k down... So I started firing off at them. No the deal was 0 down, 28k OTD. So after some negation I got that to work out. Then came the tC. I told them what all was on it ect ect. I was like I want atleast 14.5K trade for it. So back to the drawing board.... Worked them down and down and down and it was finally at ok will pay off you 17k loan with Toyota, and you take the car for 31k. I said nope, no deal, I told you my stipulations... So as I was getting ready to get up from the table the guy was like ok, 17k for the tC with all mods left on, and you take this car for 29.3k OTD. I said how bout you give it to me for an even 29K and Ill call it a deal, he said nope, and I was like ok, later. He then said ok 4 free oil changes, I said SOLD! lol. Then I added Gap so the loan was like 29.7K Helleva deal on a car that according to KBB should be sold for 27-29K. Its an 06 with only 6500 miles on it too.

Moral of the long story...know what your doing, what is reasonable, and basically tell them off if they f' you over and you'll get what you want.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

You think that tactic will work on an old lady too? LMAO

j.k.

But yea most of these dealers, just rip people off left and right. Buy it cheap from a person, and then resell it for a lot more. Gotta love our economy <3
Old 11-28-2007, 09:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ippskidder
You think that tactic will work on an old lady too? LMAO

j.k.
LOL, you never know, I know some tuff old ladies. I wonder how much they sold the tC for though in the end. They gave me back the Magnaflow cat back I had on there for exchange of the stock to "quiet" it down since it still had the header on there.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

Never heard that happening before. Odd, lol.

I just realized your name was amdforever. I feel the exact same way. Down with intel!!!

Quick Reply: \"Mods\" hurt resale value