2005-2010 [ANT10]

07 Scion TC Base Auto -VS- 07 Honda Civic EX Coupe Auto

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 09:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by lowelcam
I went from a 96 Accord EX coupe to a 07 tc.

One reason that I didn't buy a Honda again was the insurance cost, Hondas are one of the most expensive cars to insure - in Los Angeles.

The Civic gets more MPG, but consider dealer markup as oppose to Toyota's pure pricing.
This is true.

My 07 tC manual, a 2 door coupe, costs less to insure than my 01 Civic automatic sedan, a 4 door family vehicle.

Hondas are really expensive to insure, at least in SoCal.
Old 04-20-2007, 10:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 07specTC
Originally Posted by lowelcam
I went from a 96 Accord EX coupe to a 07 tc.

One reason that I didn't buy a Honda again was the insurance cost, Hondas are one of the most expensive cars to insure - in Los Angeles.

The Civic gets more MPG, but consider dealer markup as oppose to Toyota's pure pricing.
This is true.

My 07 tC manual, a 2 door coupe, costs less to insure than my 01 Civic automatic sedan, a 4 door family vehicle.

Hondas are really expensive to insure, at least in SoCal.
True because body parts of honda are very expensive compared with toyota! I traded in my 2006 tC a couple weeks ago with Acura RSX-S and my insurance went up $100 more.
Old 04-20-2007, 10:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

[quote="TrafficinLA"]
Originally Posted by preludedriven
-Air Filtration Built-in
True
Just FYI, the air filtration may be built-in in the civic but the tC has the complete setup for a filter as will, Scion just never provided the filter or told people about it. All you have to do is buy a filter, cut to fit, and put it in. Took 10 mins. and was a fun DIY. https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...e83a3cc4e0d92d Everything is explained there. But on topic, I'd say IMO go with a tC. All my friends love mine, granted tall people may have a hard time in the back but I have a 6foot 5in friend that sat back there a few times on some trips around town and he had no problem since the back seats recline and the other friend in the foot had so much leg room he pulled the seat fowarded a little. The tC isn't a bad car for the price, then again, it's also really easy to mod as well. Just my .02
Old 04-20-2007, 02:19 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I broke it down between the 2 cars myself before I sealed the deal on the tC..

I wanted either a EX Civic or equivalent.. I test drove the EX.. the tranny felt like crap (5 spd).. it had zero torque (had to wind it up to feel anything) .. The only things I liked about the EX were the new high-tech styling of the cockpit and I like the new body styling of the exterior .. But they they wanted $22,000 for a Bare-bones EX 5-speed with ZERO options.. Honda low-balled me on my trade-in ($1500 for a great condition 97 Accord) and then act like asshats when I wasn't happy with the trade in money and offer for the car.

So across the street was the Toyota/Scion dealer.. who offered me $3300 for my trade in (screw you Honda) and 17,000 out the door a 07 tC 5-speed that has more OEM options that a EX without options can never wish to have.

The tC feels WAY more solid and definately has a stronger tranny/engine combo for LESS money.

Now i'm a happy tC owner. A car that has all the bells and whistles, above average gas mileage for it's engine size and higher engine output compared to other car's in it's class.. ALL FOR LESS MONEY.

Money was a big factor in my decision, obviously as I was looking for a daily driver (I already have a "quick" car).

Jay
Old 04-20-2007, 07:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if I had a choice, I would go back to a Honda. I have come from 2 Honda's (Del Sol and Civic) prior to the tC. I'm sure you have read most of the thread so I'll leave out the stuff that has been repeated.
It's possible to get deals on a Civic EX depending on where you live and dealer inventory. A friend of mine got her's a little under invoice, she bought it a little before the 07 MY came out.
If you want a 'sporty' car, please look elsewhere. If youre not looking to mod the suspension, get the Civic. The tC lets you know that it weighs around 3000 pounds.
As far as insurance, I have the opposite experience from 07spectc. Mine went up about $150/half year.
And no, ppl wont laugh at you b/c you own a Civic if you leave it stock b/c well, a Civic is a user friendly commute car marketed as just that while a tC is a commute car that is marketed like a "sports car".
Oh yeah, back seat, anyone over 5'5" and wants to see properly, will bang their head on the hatch. Yeah, thats right, hatch, b/c back seat goes that far (nice leg room), so trunk space is small.
tC has nice torque, but it's kind of off-set by gas milleage IMO. But dispite that, both probably perform very similarly. If youre able to get the Civic at a discount, thats the 1 I would choose.
Old 04-20-2007, 08:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

A lot of what you said is controversial but since most is an opinion, i'll leave it alone. The only thing that I really want to bring up is the comment about nobody over 5'5" can sit comfortably in the back. Me and my dad are both 6' tall and we are both comfortable in the rear seat. In fact, I think the tC rear is amazingly roomy. Maybe tilt the back seats a bit to be more comfortable?
Old 04-20-2007, 08:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

mm.... yeah, some of what I stated is up to debate. As far as head bumping, it happens if the person is sitting upright and going over bumps... otherwise, it's fine. I should have stated that before, I apologise. Yeah, the backseat is pretty roomy, but the head room can be a tough one.
In terms of sporty/handling feel, thats opinion as some actually do find the tC quite sporty but I'm pretty sure the tC wont feel as sporty as a Honda Prelude. Insurance, thats dependent of other things. And price, thats not up to me either. Ironically, my friend that purchased the auto Civic EX lives in CT.
Old 04-20-2007, 09:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Spect2K3
A lot of what you said is controversial but since most is an opinion, i'll leave it alone. The only thing that I really want to bring up is the comment about nobody over 5'5" can sit comfortably in the back. Me and my dad are both 6' tall and we are both comfortable in the rear seat. In fact, I think the tC rear is amazingly roomy. Maybe tilt the back seats a bit to be more comfortable?
with the seats upright, yea, it's pretty uncofortable... but man, that tilt is sweet.
Old 04-20-2007, 11:24 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by TeeCizzle
The "only" GOOD body style Civics were the 92-95 & 96-00 styles after that they became HELLA butt fugly looking...

You forgot to mention the tC:

- More rear seat room...since tC had longer wheelbase!
- Better looking front end!!!..doesnt look like it got Chopped off like the Civic.
- Easier to change oil too!

I might be miss'in some other things...

I am a Honda dude by heart...the Honda Designs after 00 just made me Puke...thus going w/ a tC!!!"Hotnezz"
x2 ...except:

The Civic Sedan actually has more rear legroom than the tC: 34.6 CIVIC / 33.6 tC
-Also more hip room + shoulder room + head room
...and the Civic actually has an identical wheelbase: 106.3 CIVIC / 106.3 tC

But, Honda does need to do something with the chopped Civic front end...