1k miles

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2004, 04:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

Default 1k miles

so i popped her cherry this morning and i was wondering if some of you changed your oil at this point

i dont know if i want to do it because there are some pros and cons to doing it.

what miles are you on?
Old 10-05-2004, 04:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I changed out my oil at 1k. Interestingly enough, my oil filter was a _____ to get off; I amost ripped it apart trying to remove it. Used a little wd40, let it sit for a minute or so, and it came off easily. The damn things are supposed to be hand tighetened.

Hmm, speaking of oil changes, I'm at about 4k right now; debating on if I should change it now or wait another 2k. Thoughts?
Old 10-05-2004, 04:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yea i changed mine at 1450 to mobil 1 syn 5w-30 and i will change it again at 5k

but yea the oil filter was an ___...i just took a flathead and drove it through one side and twisted that damn filter off.

i cant think of any cons for changing the filter cause the oil was not that bad but i was afraid off metal shavings getting into my engine cause i had to go to college and drive 400 miles every weekend on the highway.

and are you korean...why do u have a picture of my wife as your pic name....lee hyolee is mine _____
Old 10-05-2004, 05:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

at my dealer, i got 4 free oil changes and 2 free tire rotations :D i've already used up two oil changes and one tire rotation.
Old 10-05-2004, 09:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

At my dealer I get free lifetime oil changes, a max of 3 per year

Why are you guys changing it at 1k? Isn't it every 3-5k?
Old 10-05-2004, 09:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

At my dealer I get free lifetime tire replacement if I get all my service done there.

I've got about 50 miles to go before I reach the 1K mark. Don't really plan on changing the oil though.
Old 10-05-2004, 09:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Did it at 1.3K

I was going to do an oil change at 1K but then drove it for another week and did it at 1,300 miles. The oil was little bit dark but not black, didn't screened it so not sure if there was shavings or not.

Used the oil filter + gasket that I got at Toyota. Noticed the original gasket was plastic outside and metal inside VS the Toyota gasket was all pastic.

I used 5W-30 Castrol (Even Better Protection Than Before) :D
Old 10-05-2004, 10:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jglonek
Why are you guys changing it at 1k? Isn't it every 3-5k?
There's a school of thought that an oil change would be good at 1k because it's about the time when your breakin time ends and that the early oil change will get rid of any deposits and such because it is a brand new car. *shrug*

My opinion of the issue is that it doesn't hurt the car, and could possibly benefit it, so why not?
Old 10-06-2004, 02:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

According to my dealer's service dept. (could be different for other dealerships) you can only use your 3 free oil changes at every 5,000 mile or 6 month maintenance interval. So your best bet is do it yourself at 1000 or pay for it to be done if you're mechanically challenged.
Old 10-06-2004, 02:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Does the Scion TC use special break in oil?? Someone said earlier that when he changed the oil, it seemed thicker than normal oil. Hondas use special break in oil that is supposed to be in there for 5000 miles, does Toyota use break in oil? I have around 1700 miles on my car and am wondering if I should wait until 3000 miles. The owners manual says 5000 miles.
Old 10-06-2004, 02:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i thought it was 3000 miles before you change it?? o_0 isn't that a lil early ??
Old 10-06-2004, 02:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

well it does say 5k miles in the service manual but i'd like the ease of mind that it will last longer....

i figure it couldnt hurt, only help it.
Old 10-06-2004, 03:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Exactly

Originally Posted by DuMa
well it does say 5k miles in the service manual but i'd like the ease of mind that it will last longer....

i figure it couldnt hurt, only help it.

Exactly! its all in our HEAD.... I would sleep better if I did. *lol*
Old 10-06-2004, 04:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you can't get the dealer to do one of the free oil changes for some reason, just do it yourself. I am _not_ mechanically inclined and it was as simple as an oil change gets. You don't even have to jack the car up. The filter was a pain to get off, but luckily the filter wrench cap thingie from my maxima works on tC filters, too.

FYI, I put half dino oil, half Mobil 1 5W-30 in at around 1000 miles. I plan to change over to full synthetic at around 5000 or so, and then change it every 5k miles after that. I bought a whole slew of OEM filters from mcgeorgeparts.com. I probably won't ever use the free oil changes from Scion, as oil changers always seem to overtighten the filter and drain bolt in my experience.
Old 10-06-2004, 04:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

How do you get unde the car without jacking it up? Does not look like much clearance?
Old 10-06-2004, 05:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

Originally Posted by nethack4ever
If you can't get the dealer to do one of the free oil changes for some reason, just do it yourself. I am _not_ mechanically inclined and it was as simple as an oil change gets. You don't even have to jack the car up. The filter was a pain to get off, but luckily the filter wrench cap thingie from my maxima works on tC filters, too.

FYI, I put half dino oil, half Mobil 1 5W-30 in at around 1000 miles. I plan to change over to full synthetic at around 5000 or so, and then change it every 5k miles after that. I bought a whole slew of OEM filters from mcgeorgeparts.com. I probably won't ever use the free oil changes from Scion, as oil changers always seem to overtighten the filter and drain bolt in my experience.
half dino?

i've done oil changes before so im not mechanically inclined

and how many quarts did you put in?
Old 10-06-2004, 07:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

<<4500 Miles already!!

Ugh Driving from NC 2 OK Sucks..I went 2 NC just 2 buy my TC..hehe
Old 10-06-2004, 08:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by zizi
Does the Scion TC use special break in oil??
break in oil. :D
Old 10-06-2004, 04:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hondas use special break in oil. It is explained in the owners manual. I was asking if Toyota uses this special oil to. Someone said earlier that the original oil from the Scion TC was much thicker than normal oil, that is why I asked.
Old 10-06-2004, 06:05 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

There really seems to be a science involved with brand new engines.

I know that older cars had a recommendation not to rev the engine very high for the first 500 miles and change the oil at 1k because of the initial wear of new engine parts. Then continue to change every 3-5k after that.

I have also heard that with new technology and new production methods, new engines dont really have a break-in period, or if they do its not as large as 500 miles, maybe somewhere around 250 or so. In which case, because of the production methods there would be very little if any metal shavings in the engine so you could go the first 3k miles w/o an oil change.

I wonder if anyone has done an oil change at 1,000 and strained their oil to see if there was anything in it? If so, could you please respond and let us all know. I will be getting my tC in about 2 months and would like to know which road to take.

(although, I know doing an oil change at 1k regarless can't harm the engine)

Quick Reply: 1k miles