2005-2010 [ANT10]

2-Chamber AND straight through exhaust? Found it. =P

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2004, 06:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default 2-Chamber AND straight through exhaust? Found it. =P

Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought I saw an ad in Import Tuner for an exhaust that has incorporated both designs.

One model had a pessure sensative designed that closed the route to the second chamber and allowed exhaust gasses to pass straight through. Under less than full-throttle, exhaust gasses were routed through the second chanber thus allowing a quieter ride.

The second model was an electronic model that had a sticker of well over a thousand dollars.

My question to post is, does anyone know who this manufacturer may be? Has anyone heard of such a thing?

Sorry if it's a report, I didn't know how to phrase it for a search.
Old 08-10-2004, 10:57 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I was under the impression that the xB came with muffler that had a bypass mode of some sort. Not super rare - I can think of a few cars that have had this kind of setup (VR4 comes to mind.) If you're thinking of Flowmaster's 2-chamber mufflers the number of chambers has to do with how many baffles are in the muffler and does not mean they have any sort of two-stage valve mechanism.
Old 08-11-2004, 07:08 AM

Default Re: 2-Chamber AND straight through exhaust??

Originally Posted by bB Local Boy
One model had a pessure sensative designed that closed the route to the second chamber and allowed exhaust gasses to pass straight through. Under less than full-throttle, exhaust gasses were routed through the second chanber thus allowing a quieter ride.

The second model was an electronic model that had a sticker of well over a thousand dollars.

My question to post is, does anyone know who this manufacturer may be? Has anyone heard of such a thing?

Sorry if it's a report, I didn't know how to phrase it for a search.
BMW has that design on a lot of thier vehicles and so does mitsubishi. Yup the 1995 mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 has an electronic baffle controlled by a cable. So does the Infiniti, some of thier cars have that design too, kind of a sport muffler design. More for cars with over 220HP :D

Old 08-11-2004, 04:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

There, electronically controlled by cable. Now...do you know the name of the manufacuters(?) that produce these for commercial purchase?
Old 08-12-2004, 09:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

From the June 2004 edition of Import Tuner:

(page 135)
A'pexi PS Revolution "Active Valve Muffler"

"The next generation of high performance exhaust systems for modified street cars has arrived! A'PEX is proud to introduce the new, PS Revolution exhaust system. Designed for hard tuned, street driven vehicles, the PS Revolution's active valve system provides the hard core enthusiast with the best of both worlds. The patented valve system is engaged and disengaged based upon exhaust gas pressure. This revolutionary new muffler design allows high pressure street cars to maintain a tolorable, and legal, exhaust note at idle and light throttle acceleration while completely disengaging during high throttle, high load situations. Never before has a cylinder type exhaust system so seamlessly fused the streetability of a stock exhaust system and the performance advantages of a low restriction racing exhaust."

The patented valve system is engaged and disengaged based upon exhaust gas pressure.
I'll post pics as soon as I can get to a scanner.