Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

20 - 40 more horses

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2004, 05:47 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Otocan
wouldn't an ECU upgrade easily void the warranty on the engine? you're talking about the computer chip there... I can see changing the header, intake, exhaust and dropping in the TRD supercharger, but what about when you walk into a dealer and say your engine's pre-igniting even when you run 93 octane and they plug a few wires into your car and tell you you voided your entire powertrain warranty by installing an aftermarket part and not set the cam timings properly?
A new header will just as easily void your waranty. If the ecu upgrade was a piggy-back all you would have to do is unplug it from your oem ecu and reset the computer, then techs wouldn't know the difference. Also, I believe if a problem does occur under waranty the service center has to directly contribute the problem to the aftermarket part. Anyone else want to elaborate on waranty issues after aftermarket parts?
Old 02-12-2005, 07:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

1k for 12hp w/o a turbo or supercharger sounds good. Do you guys know that because that is real power and torque, you will feel a difference??? The exhaust will give you an extra10hp more once you add your turbo ...so think about the future.
Old 02-12-2005, 01:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by franktherank
20 hp?...i doubt it...probably like 12hp at the wheels...thats bout it
where have you been? There are over 3 companies now with independent parts that produce I,H,E that do produce over 24hp 25tq to the wheels.
Old 02-12-2005, 01:33 PM
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by Kasper
Originally Posted by Otocan
wouldn't an ECU upgrade easily void the warranty on the engine? you're talking about the computer chip there... I can see changing the header, intake, exhaust and dropping in the TRD supercharger, but what about when you walk into a dealer and say your engine's pre-igniting even when you run 93 octane and they plug a few wires into your car and tell you you voided your entire powertrain warranty by installing an aftermarket part and not set the cam timings properly?
A new header will just as easily void your waranty. If the ecu upgrade was a piggy-back all you would have to do is unplug it from your oem ecu and reset the computer, then techs wouldn't know the difference. Also, I believe if a problem does occur under waranty the service center has to directly contribute the problem to the aftermarket part. Anyone else want to elaborate on waranty issues after aftermarket parts?
this has been beat to death at clubsciontc, but as far as ive read, the dealership must have written proof that the aftermarket part has a direct relation to the damaged part in need of service. how much of a probability that is, i dont know. lowering springs messing up your axle, wells, or anything else; im going to say less probable. hydrolocking your engine from a CAI if you live in seattle; maybe more probable. it seems to be a gamble to me, but again, dealerships are snakes, so just be careful.
Old 02-12-2005, 01:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

there was some page (can't remember which, and can't find it on google) where they dyno'd different parts and showed how you could get 23 whp from intake, headers and full exhaust. Showed dyno specs for each mod, and was pretty interesting. No clue where it is... anybody help? Was an online sales place, just can't remember which one.
Is this the website you're talking about? http://alphawerks.com/alpha_interface_dyno.htm

where have you been? There are over 3 companies now with independent parts that produce I,H,E that do produce over 24hp 25tq to the wheels.
Got some links? The website I linked above is the only one I've seen with results like that (and sadly, they don't even say which parts they used )
Old 02-12-2005, 04:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Chaos_Being
there was some page (can't remember which, and can't find it on google) where they dyno'd different parts and showed how you could get 23 whp from intake, headers and full exhaust. Showed dyno specs for each mod, and was pretty interesting. No clue where it is... anybody help? Was an online sales place, just can't remember which one.
Is this the website you're talking about? http://alphawerks.com/alpha_interface_dyno.htm

Got some links? The website I linked above is the only one I've seen with results like that (and sadly, they don't even say which parts they used )

Clearly you havent done much research they do specify which parts they use,intake header, throttle body,and full exhaust. Here is the link.

http://alphawerks.com/alpha_frameset_dyno.htm

also check this one out they gained pretty much the same hp and tq. i,h,th,e

http://suzukird1.netfirms.com/scion-...629079d53cb59b

Its very possible to get very nice gains with this vehicle on the mentioned parts. Unfortunately cel issues im sure are prevalent and the R&D simply isnt there. I myself will wait untill the larger companies come out with products that are more stable and better researched, products that will give you the same or better gains with out the the annoying CEL light on your dash.
Old 02-13-2005, 12:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

When I said they didn't specify what parts, I meant that they didn't specify what brand of parts they used. There's more than one type of intake, headers, and exhausts after all- that info would have been much more useful to me. I've only seen one throttle body advertised here so far.

Thanks for the other link though. It definitely is still a waiting game for a greater variety of aftermarket parts to be released.