Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

26°F - hand-washed my car and the soapy water froze....

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2004, 05:43 PM
Banned
SL Member

that's like: "My dog bit me after i repeatedly smaked it in the side of the jaw, playfully."
Old 12-15-2004, 07:03 PM
5 Year Member

I figured I would have enough time to wash and shammi it off before it froze....I was wrong =)
Old 12-15-2004, 07:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
SL Member

Default Re: Washing your car

Originally Posted by Boom12V
I feel you Dog. It has been really cold here where I live too. Today was a freezing 47 for the low and a chilly74 for the high. It was so cold that I had to put on my long shorts.
Like the Arctic man!
Old 12-15-2004, 08:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Why would you wash your car when it's that cold anyways?? Hand wash at that??

I'd be freezing...
Old 12-16-2004, 07:21 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by smurf3642
Why would you wash your car when it's that cold anyways?? Hand wash at that??

I'd be freezing...
It was dirty with bird crap, etc, and I was taking in front of co-workers that haven't seen it before. I wanted to represent for tC owners...instead, I represented for Jello pudding pops.

The story does have a happy ending, however. I went into a dealership where my buddy works and he let me hand wash my car inside their detail bay with hot H2O! The car is bird poopless now, and I'm smilin' like a lottery winner, so it's all good in tha hood, fo' rizzle.

Oh, and smurf3642? Yea, I couldn't feel my hands so it wasn't that bad...Can't say I'll be trying that again anytime soon, or ever for that matter. If it would have turned out, sure, but the soap popsicle paint job looked way worse than the bird crap did.
Old 12-16-2004, 07:33 AM
5 Year Member

Kentucky sucks... It's so cold in Kentucky because my _____ of an ex girlfriend lives there. Her frigid ___ lowers the temperature 20 degrees, I'm sure.

;)
Old 12-16-2004, 08:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

don't feel bad man... just looked on weather.com and the temperature outside is 19 degrees in Maryland - and I *HAVE* to wash my car tomorrow, no if's, and's or butt's - highest temp tomorrow will be 44 degrees, breaks freezing at 11am, I'll be out there noon-5pm bundled up in 40 degree weather washing my car, probably the warmest it's going to get till end of January.. and no car wash is touching my car... evar....

I got the car on Nov 10th and haven't done anything but wash it with car shampoo, and I just bought $200+ worth of car care products, like the who she-bam of Sonus, and pinnacle sourouvian carnuba, and MF towels, and fabric guard, and wheel cleaner, and tire shine, and rainX, and acrylic sealant and a clay bar.... and lots more... one hell'uv'a big box and I need to overhaul my car, it's been neglected and it needs to look immaculate so all I really have to do is touch it up when I drive somewhere and wash it whenever the temps get above freezing till winter's over... hope it works out for me, good to hear your dealer let you do that man, my garage has nowhere for the water to go but on the ground and accumulate... I really should fabricate some way to put a drain in my garage right where the pool forms from the run-off from the cars... winter sucks
Old 12-16-2004, 02:53 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Silver Streak tC
Kentucky sucks... It's so cold in Kentucky because my _____ of an ex girlfriend lives there. Her frigid ___ lowers the temperature 20 degrees, I'm sure.

;)
That's hilarious, dude. I actually laughed out loud on that one...
Old 12-17-2004, 12:53 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Benwars
That's hilarious, dude. I actually laughed out loud on that one...
:D haha... glad I could make you laugh.
Old 12-17-2004, 02:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: 26°F - hand-washed my car and the soapy water froze....

Originally Posted by Benwars
I didn't think it would, but while I was washing the car, the soapy water froze and made a sheet of crappy looking white, soapy ice. It looks like hell. I have to be in a meeting early tomorrow morning, and I want the car to look good...was thinking of stopping at a no-touch car wash...are these safe?

hahahaahah :D

ya same here. i jus washed my dads Sequioa in like 40 degree F with wind blowin.

i jus did it for the hell of it though. cuz teh car hasnt been washed for 3 months or so.
the rims looked like a gunmetalish brown. LOL

maybe im jus crazy for doin that. hehe
Old 12-17-2004, 02:55 AM
5 Year Member

hahahah Damn I was really considering on washing my car on Saturday because I can't stand seeing all the dirt on my pretty IIP tC.... But after the freezing soap water story, I'm not so sure I want to anymore haha
Old 12-17-2004, 02:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

it was cold today here man...we had a low of 70, and a high of 81
Old 12-17-2004, 05:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Next time just fill up the bucket with HOT water, and wash the car one body panel at a time.
Old 12-17-2004, 03:10 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by oBnoXious XB
it was cold today here man...we had a low of 70, and a high of 81
You suck.

I say that because I'm insanely jealous.
Old 12-20-2004, 02:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I gave my car a good wash last nite when it was still around 40. A couple hours later it started snowing, right now Weatherbug says it's 5 degrees out. And the car is covered in snow.

Oh well.
Old 12-20-2004, 06:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Default BE CAREFUL!!!!

NEVER NEVER pour hot water on your frozen cold windows and windshields, and in our case, glass roof! You're asking to have cracked glass. We have had people on this forum comment it happened to them, and I've known people who've cracked their windshields pouring hot water... or even room temp. water on their glass to thaw ice.

Also, I am careful about spraying cold water on my car in a hot summer day... same thing can happen.

Goss’ Garage
by Pat Goss

OUT IN THE COLD

A little sleet, snow, or rain plus a thermometer hugging the freezing mark and you might be outside your car wishing you could get inside. You’re literally frozen out because your doors are frozen solid. Not good, must get to work, but what to do? Not what many drivers do! The ubiquitous pan of hot water poured over the door to thaw things out could turn a bad situation into a very bad situation. Hot water and cold glass are not happy partners. Cracked glass? Spectacularly possible! More water to freeze? There’s an absolute!

Rather than waiting till you’re frozen-out, a couple low-cost products used now will help prevent frozen doors and door locks. Graphite lock-lube applied twice a year to every lock on your car and house will lubricate them and prevent water intrusion. The premise is elementary; if water doesn’t get into locks, the locks can’t freeze. Graphite also makes locks work more smoothly and last longer. But, never use a lubricant not specifically designed for locks. Generic lubes often wash away the protective graphite, which almost guarantees moisture intrusion, frozen locks and more wear.

Here’s another frustration! Your locks aren’t frozen but the doors themselves are frozen shut. Pulling, tugging, and prying does nothing toward opening the doors, they won’t budge. There’s a flaw in the typical approach, which involves a mighty yank on the door handle. If logic and finesse won’t open the door surely brute force will. Wrong! Mighty force on the door handle does not move the door; it just delivers a sickening pop. It’s the kind of noise that creates instant dread. There’s no way this can be good! Unfortunately, brute force applied to parts designed to withstand moderate force tends to break parts like door handles, rubber weather-strip, or some spectacularly costly little part inside the door.

The problem? Nothing more exotic than the door’s weather-strip being stubbornly frozen to the car’s body. Once this happens warm, not hot, water, a warm garage or spring thaw may be your only salvation.

Luckily, prevention is painless. Spray the rubber around the doors with silicone, which is readily available in auto parts stores. It’s a good idea to spray silicone on all the weather-stripping surrounding car doors four times every year. Silicone is so slippery it prevents ice that forms on the weather-stripping from sticking to the car’s body. Your doors open easily when your neighbor’s are frozen solid.

Don’t use hot water on frozen windshields and wiper blades either. Clear a frozen windshield and free-up stuck wipers by applying spray de-icer to the windshield and wiper blades. Using de-icer before turning your wipers on also prevents blades from being shredded as they’re ripped out of the ice.

Finally, don’t allow the engine to idle for a long time with the defroster set on high to clear the windshield. With intense heat on the inside and ice on the outside a small, unobtrusive stone chip may become a big, obnoxious crack. Ditto for hot water.

None of this does any good after you’re frozen out but twenty minutes and ten dollars now, will reward you when the snow flies.
Old 12-20-2004, 07:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i feel your pain

sometimes you just HAVE to wash your car

bird poop...35° weather...assrape
Old 12-20-2004, 07:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hugh..
i did that back when i was 16 years old.. (hot water on a frozen windshield) luckily nothing happened.. but just imagine what could've happened! ouch! i can also support the idea of silicone spray on the weatherstripping.. definitely DOES work..

thanks for this post.. reminds me i have to do that again this season.. even on a new car..

yeah want to hear something funny? i know i'm laughing (on the inside).. it's a heatwave in michigan.. it's 3 degrees right now.. i have got to break out the shorts!!