Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2005, 08:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Default Re: okay great....

Originally Posted by motozen

Manual engines are like a tank. Less moving parts and cheaper to replace if it does break down. AUTO TRANSMISSIONS are more prone to problems and have alot more moving parts and weigh more. I'd safely say that over 90% of all automatics need a transmission overhaul at or around 100,000 - 150,000mi.
I really thought youwere kidding, when you said 5speed engines don't have transmissions....but after seeing the above quote, I'm guessing you weren't.

1) there is no such thing as a Manual or 5 speed Engine. Engines don't come in Automatics or Manuals, or have gears in them.

2)you'd safely be wrong in that estimate. It's more like the other way around: 90% of automatics (transmissions, again, no such thing as a automatic engine) will still run fine at 100,000-150,000 miles, as long as the drivers aren't doing neutral drops, power braking, and drag racing.

3)you've got a lot of people rolling on the floor laughing, at you, after posting those two rants.
Old 05-16-2005, 11:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

my gf's father is a highly respected toyota mechanic at one of the top dealerships in St Louis. Believe me when I say that he knows exactly what he is talking about when it comes to toyotas/ scions. He personally recommended that I buy this car not only for pleasure but also for reliability. Yes- he likes me and no- he did not recieve any commision. In fact he recommended a different dealership to buy it from.

I have had no problems at all and I'm happy to know that if I do I have "the hook-up"
Old 05-17-2005, 06:04 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by engifineer
OOOOK I am officially annoyed!

5 SPEED ENGINES DO NOT HAVE TRANNYS!

TRANSMISSIONS ARE FOR AUTOMATICS PLEASE USE THE PROPER TERMINOLOGY.

\

What the hell are you talking about??? ALL cars have trannys. Tranny stands for transmission.... YOU should check your terminology... or basically ask anyone who has driven a car ever.... and there is no such thing as a "5 Speed Engine". There are no gearboxes built into the engine.... I really hope you were kidding
Old 05-17-2005, 07:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I got a 5 speed... i got like 28800 miles on it... the first month I got all kinds of noises n stuff... after 3000 miles... just open it up... rip thru all the gear... and now everything is running just fine...

**if the noises make you paranoid... get a sound system and bump it so you dont have to bother with minor noises..**
Old 05-17-2005, 10:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This post is almost a year old let it die, The original poster never even updated it.
Old 05-17-2005, 10:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This post wont die until it gets locked. I've noticed that it usually dies down for a month, and then someone revives it. I agree we should let this one go.
Old 05-17-2005, 10:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

OOOOK I am officially annoyed!

5 SPEED ENGINES DO NOT HAVE TRANNYS!

TRANSMISSIONS ARE FOR AUTOMATICS PLEASE USE THE PROPER TERMINOLOGY.

Actually its called a transaxle. TRANSAXLE Definition: The transmission in a front-wheel drive vehicle. It combines both transmission and differential into one assembly. I think it is the same for rear engine and rear drive like Porsche. Either way you dont know what you are talking about since autos and manuals have them. Oh yeah and my 5 speed works great.
Old 05-17-2005, 10:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Tampa tC
So sell the fricken car and stop complainin.....the sound you described is possibly the easiest problem to fix, bring it to the dealer, they'll tell you. I've yet to have a problem.
dito.
Old 05-17-2005, 11:14 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i want to get a 5 speed but with all the problem should i. i got money for the car but if its going to be a trouble maker should i?
Old 05-17-2005, 11:39 PM
5 Year Member

Scion Noics
SL Member

Well folks it was just announced in the News and Press Release forum that 06 tC will have a 5 spd auto transmission.

I'm thinking the same thing to... PHOC!
Old 05-18-2005, 01:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If it is going to break its not going to last 36000 miles probably and if it does its under warranty.
Old 10-04-2005, 03:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the first tc i drove was automatic....can we say slow? a month later i drive a 5spd...wow! is there even a comparison? i dont think so..the 5pd tc would EAT the automatic in every way. 1st- i would never build up/ own an automatic sports car/ import. 2nd- learn to drive a stantard to all the auto owners who talk crap about the 5spd only b/c they cannot drive one. 3rd- wtf is all this "i hear whistling when i accelerate" crap? its called the 'intake' thats a gimmie. Back to the thread, i think you just got a simple problem that can be fixed and i highly doubt its due to the 5spd tran......i'm finished
Old 10-04-2005, 03:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i am at 22k and running great, even better once you change the tranny fluid. ^_^
Old 10-04-2005, 10:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sorry to hear peoples problems. I have owned a 05 scion tc manual and an 06 scion tc manual and haven't had issues.
Old 10-04-2005, 03:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

^^ A few people have had some issues... some of those are normal (hard to get into reverse sometimes.. which is covered in the owners manual that most people do not read). So out of the thousands of tCs, there are some with warranty issues regarding the tranny. Someone turned their one issue into the title of this thread. Just like one persons tire blowing caused them to start a whole panic on here about the potenzas being dangerous... or someone spinning on wet pavement saying the potenzas are dangerous. Just some typical panic mongering
Old 10-04-2005, 05:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

I have had my MT Tc for 1440 miles and have had not one single problem......
Old 10-04-2005, 07:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

^^ Yep, forgot to add: 22k and mine shifts like butter
Old 10-04-2005, 07:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

~15,000miles here and still smooth (getting ready to change the fluid to Redline synthetic).
Old 10-04-2005, 07:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

6000+ miles on my 05 tC and it's shifting very smoothly.
No piece of crap here!
Looks like some guys got bad early releases. Nothing that the manufacturer's warranty couldn't fix, if the later ones are going great.
I'm still amused by how strongly people are reacting to some of these "minor" niggles with the tC. Rattle here, rattle there, buzz here buzz there....at least it's not like a late model VW that will leave you dead and stranded on the road numerous times and things literally disintegrated and fell off in and out of the car just a few weeks after buying it and throughout it's early life! I know, I had to suffer owning one of their "Fartfernugen" ""Volksyugo" Passats before I bought the tC! Now that's a piece of crap car if there ever was one!

Chombi
Old 10-05-2005, 04:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Dont get m e wrong i love my tC.... but i have had so many warranty issues its not even funny. I got my car in March of 05. I have had to have the sunroof cover replaced, cig lighter replaced, Glovebox replaced, Radio door replaced.
I just made an appointment next thursday beacuse i have a bad rattle coming from the engine compartment, sounds like valves ticking (which never happened b4), i hear a cracking sound when shifting gears sometimes, i have a hatch rattle a center console rattle, my drivers seat does not slide in track correcty,

My car is completley stock 5spd. Never redlined. I do 80-85 on the parkway. This car has way to many issues for how new it is. Its amazing how everyone here starts blaming it on the driver just so they feel better about there cars.

Quick Reply: the 5 speeds are potential piles of crap