2005-2010 [ANT10]

5spd newbie and hope to get helped

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2005, 03:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default 5spd newbie and hope to get helped

I know I know, I have already checked the forum but they just didnt reallly give me the specific answers I'm looking for. so here goes and I really appreciate anyone who can help me with this.

First off, I was practicing just now on some hills and stalled couple times just to get the catching point and hwo much I should rev. So when I got home and parked the car. After about 1~2mins, I heard a tink that sounds kinda like a snapping noise, after about 1 min, there it was again! So is it normal or did I overworrked the engine??

Second, I have no much probs with launching and shifting up and down now, however, the car still jerks abit (kinda like slows down) when I downshift after slowing down and taking a corner, should I try to rev match it or the rev was too high?

Third, After I have stalled my engine, is it ok just to press down the clutch and brake while I'm turning off the car and turning it on again? (I ask this b/c I felt a little shakin of the car and brake while I'm igniting)

Finally, the question I really want to know is, I really am having a bit of trouble tackling the hills, so is there any advices for me? Should I rev higher than usual and let the clutch out? If so, how much more (like 3k? or 4k rpm?)

Once again, THANK YOU for answering my Qs
Old 10-07-2005, 03:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

1. where are you hearing the tink sounds from? the engine.. if so thats normal..

2. when slowing down to a red .. you should put it in neutral and then put it back in gear when you stop, and while taking a corner you can just leave it in gear or downshift if you like.. the only reason why its jerking is because youre letting off the clutch too quickly..

3. when you turn off your car just take it out of gear and you dont need to press the brake.. and its not needed to press the brake when you start your car up..

4. i dont know the answer to this one
Old 10-07-2005, 03:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by roflitzjinno
1. where are you hearing the tink sounds from? the engine.. if so thats normal..

2. when slowing down to a red .. you should put it in neutral and then put it back in gear when you stop, and while taking a corner you can just leave it in gear or downshift if you like.. the only reason why its jerking is because youre letting off the clutch too quickly..

3. when you turn off your car just take it out of gear and you dont need to press the brake.. and its not needed to press the brake when you start your car up..

4. i dont know the answer to this one

When you're slowing down, use the brakes. When the needle gets to say 1500rpm (at a slow speed), and you know you're definately going to be stopping for a long time, then pop it into neutral. Stay in first gear with the clutch down if it's going to be a short stop, but you should never really downshift into first while in motion. A rule of thumb I try to follow is use first gear only for starting.

Wrong, do not downshift when you're cornering! A sudden jolt can cause you spinning out of control. Downshift BEFORE or AFTER a corner.

If you stall, push the clutch in and hold the brake if you have to. It will feel shaky because for some reason, this car is extremely rough when starting up.

Usually you rev higher when starting on a hill. Say 2k-ish. However, I find the no-gas method, where you get the clutch up to the engagement point, and then give it some gas works best for me. Depending on how steep the hill is, you'll roll back just a little if you're quick.
Old 10-07-2005, 02:31 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Learn to not watch the Tach. Seriously. If you start to do this now you will know when to shift without having to watch it. Or anything really, for that matter.
Old 10-07-2005, 02:43 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Gears are there for a reason, rather than coasting to a red light... practice downshifting/revmatching once you get the basics down. If you come into a turn in neutral or need to get out of the way real fast it will be hard to put yourself back into gear. One of the best things to know is to always be in gear on the road.
Old 10-07-2005, 02:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

-Never downshift to first unless a COMPLETE stop.
-Sounds like you need practice holding the engine at a specific rpm. See if you can rev it to 1.5 or 2, and let the clutch out while applying just barely enough throttle to keep it there.

Just keep driving, keep practicing. You'll only need to think about it for a month of daily driving, then it'll be totally second nature.