Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

5th gear shake and slipping clutch

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2005, 07:33 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default 5th gear shake and slipping clutch

hi, when i accelerate in 5th gear my stick twitches a little and vibrates lightly and i was told that it is possible that it might be slipping my clutch. i drove a couple hundred miles in 5th gear and i was wondering, if it was slipping the clutch all this time, how bad would my clutch be damaged? gonna have the twitch/vibration checked out tomorrow and i was wondering if i should ask for a new clutch too. thanks
Old 08-10-2005, 08:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Strictly Scionized
SL Member

drive the car in 5th gear say about about 30-40mph, floor it if the rpm gauge rise faster than your speedo, your clutch is slipping.
Old 08-10-2005, 08:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If they check out the vibration, you should metion the clutch thing at the same time ... whether it is slipping or not, it should be checked out if you think something is wrong with it.
Old 08-10-2005, 10:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

since I bought my car in June 05, my 5th gears been doing exactly that. It twitches and vibrates. I didn;t know that was a serious issue.
Old 08-10-2005, 11:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Me neither... it happens with mine as well.
Old 08-12-2005, 04:08 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

well, i think ill take it to the dealership on monday. i was planning on staying away from 5th gear until then. will i be okay just using 4th gear for now on the freeway? ive been avoiding 5th so the RPM's stay around 4k or a little above 4k on the freeway. is there anything bad about just using 4th on the freeway besides wasting gas? some people were telling me not to use 4th too much because it is designed as a passing gear and will wear your car out if you cruise in it.
Old 08-12-2005, 02:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

my shifter twitches,

i believe its a result from the use of such a high gear handling and good amount of torque, it moves the shifter
, im sure its normal
Old 08-12-2005, 03:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

mine does it. i just drove about 500 miles in a past 2 days. i've noticed that with a little more than 1/3 throttle, above 60 mph, it will vibrate. untill i hit about 80 mph, then i would need to give it alot more throttle for it to vibrate. i originally thought it was a slipping clutch, but that would be followed by a terrible cheesey smelling burnt clutch odor, which i don't get. i think lilitaliankid has it right, with his post about short gearing and torque. let us know what your dealership says
Old 08-12-2005, 04:59 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

mine used to vibrate in 5th gear.. then i bought a short shifter.. i dont know if thats what youre looking for .. but it did get rid of the problem
Old 08-12-2005, 05:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've driven 4 different TC's including my own and they all do it. I think it's normal
Old 08-12-2005, 08:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jimmydenfield
mine used to vibrate in 5th gear.. then i bought a short shifter.. i dont know if thats what youre looking for .. but it did get rid of the problem
really? which brand short shifter? how hard to install?
Old 08-13-2005, 09:12 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i c. well thanks for the input. i have been driving at freeway speeds in 4th gear only for the past 2-3 days tho. is that being really hard on my engine since the rpms stay around 4k a lot? especially during breakin?
Old 08-13-2005, 01:03 PM
5 Year Member

Wait untill you have a RWD car and your shifter is connected right to the tranny. Damn thing shakes left and right 3/4" at idle!
Old 08-13-2005, 10:19 PM
Emo
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by NickSimcheck
Wait untill you have a RWD car and your shifter is connected right to the tranny. Damn thing shakes left and right 3/4" at idle!
Hehe... I never thought of that...

but yeah... mine doesnt shake acutally at all.. or I havent noticed it...

-Emo
Old 08-14-2005, 04:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

probably due to the crappy engine mounts
Old 08-14-2005, 04:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah shaking at idle would be the engine mounts...
Old 08-14-2005, 05:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well i tested this yesterday while on the freeway, the stick doesnt move at all if you look at it, if you keep your hand on it there is a very very slight vibration, that's about it.
Old 08-14-2005, 07:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah the stick would most likely need to be fixed under the tsb for the "loose shifter" if it was moving.. the slipping clutch sensation could be either a bad pressure plate causing the clutch plate to move.. this would be easy to determine.. give the car gas and if the rpm's go up but a rise in speed doesn't occur, it's a bad pressure plate/clutch..

now if the shifter feels like it's going to pop out of the gear (like someone else is moving the shifter while it's in gear) then the synchronizers are bad.. already felt this when i test drove some tc's.. this is why people are getting their entire transmissions replaced.. if you do have this it will shows itself as either the shifter pops out of gear, grinding of gears while shifting into gear, or there will be a "chatter" you can feel (and maybe see) in the shifter itself..

if any of these are happening (anything i mentioned above) then ya, get over to a GOOD dealer and have them check out and replace the transmission.. it is not normal no matter what anyone says about the chatter, nor the slippage.. and it is not normal for a shifter to bounce around.. have had many manual transmissions and the shifter ONLY bounced around if the shifter wasn't bolted down or the tranmission was trying to pop the gear out..
Old 08-14-2005, 10:12 PM
Emo
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by sciontc_mich

now if the shifter feels like it's going to pop out of the gear (like someone else is moving the shifter while it's in gear) then the synchronizers are bad.. already felt this when i test drove some tc's.. this is why people are getting their entire transmissions replaced.. if you do have this it will shows itself as either the shifter pops out of gear, grinding of gears while shifting into gear, or there will be a "chatter" you can feel (and maybe see) in the shifter itself..
I'm getting exactly that!!! My first gear grinds whenever I try to put it into gear from neutral!! could that be it? By the way, this only happens when I do any kind of fast speed driving for a long time ..ie.. highway trips and so on... the rest of the time it's good unless once in while the gear will get "stuck" in the middle and it will not go in all the way into first unless I start letting go of the clutch.. very weird I know..

-Emo
Old 08-14-2005, 11:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Emo
Originally Posted by sciontc_mich

I'm getting exactly that!!! My first gear grinds whenever I try to put it into gear from neutral!! could that be it? By the way, this only happens when I do any kind of fast speed driving for a long time ..ie.. highway trips and so on... the rest of the time it's good unless once in while the gear will get "stuck" in the middle and it will not go in all the way into first unless I start letting go of the clutch.. very weird I know..

-Emo
hey emo.. yeah that sounds like a synchronizer.. grinding unless you "help it along" by manipulating the clutch.. had that on my old civic.. so yeah i would definitely take it to a GOOD dealer, what i mean is one that actually listens to scion owners and doesn't pass them off as "oh no that's normal".. i used to have the civic's transmission do better on long trips, but that's because the synchronizers are only used to "sync up" the gears when shifting, once it's in gear, no need for them.

i would bet money it's the synchonizers on your transmission that are bad.. when i test drove some last summer, they all had this problem.. Could hear the "clunk" when just sitting at idle, clutch in, begin to shift into first.. definite linkage problems as well with the ones i drove.. so time for a transmission to be replaced i'd think.. sorry i don't have better news for you.. but a lot of people have already had transmissions replaced.. seems like the ones who aren't listening to the dealer's excuses are getting them replaced.. the ones that just accept the excuses are the ones that the problems keep getting worse.. give 'em hell a one year old car shouldn't be doing this at all.. my civic did start doing this until 105,000 miles..

Quick Reply: 5th gear shake and slipping clutch