Aftermarket Remote Starter interfaced to Factory key fob

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 07:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Aftermarket Remote Starter interfaced to Factory key fob

It can be done.
All I do is press "lock" button twice on the factory remote.
Car starts seconds after activation.

The catch is that once the car is remote started, the wireless door lock system shuts down. Lock, Unlock, and Panic on key fob do not work when engine is running. Wireless system shuts down because the ignition circuit is power up from the remote start system. The factory wireless door lock system thinks the key is in the ignition. So I have to let the running duration of my remote starter to "time out" to shut down my engine. Now I can use my key fob again.

Another catch is that, when the engine is not running, the remote start system will activate when you press twice on the door lock switch on the door.

Conclusion:

This operation set up is totally impractical but, I think the factory key fob has a better range for activation compared to the aftermarket key fobs that came with the remote start system. For instance, at home, my car is parked 50 feet from my bedroom of my parents house. Both factory and aftermarket key fobs work fine. However, at work, my car is parked more than 150 feet away from the building I work at. Aftermarket key fob never activates and the factory key fob starts my car ( from door lock input ) 70% of the time at a longer range. That's why I chose this set up.

Given the pros and cons to this setup, what would you guy/gals think you would do if you had a choice between "proper operation of entire system" or "longer activation range"?
Old 02-03-2007, 02:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'd get a system from www.compustar.com with 6000 feet of range, and integrate all the lock/unlock features into the aftermarket keyfob so you wouldn't need the buttons on the key.

Paul G.
Old 02-11-2007, 12:59 AM
Banned
SL Member

take off the battery