Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Is all tC A/C not cold enough?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 12:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

have any of you guys read the manual where it tells you how to get the A/C to work as fast as possible?

when starting your car after it has been lying out in the sun, open all the windows and sun roof (provided it isn't raining), and run the fan at full speed with the a/c on and the cranked to the coolest settings. this helps the car circulate air faster to help get all the hot air out of the vents, and also cool down the heat soaked vents and get all the hot air out of the car, rather than trying to cool down all that air.

i have an 05, and while i don't use the a/c often, it works great when i need it to.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

mine is the same... its takes a while to cold down/warmup but it doesn eventuallly get cold. AC comfort depends on humidity too so being in texas doesnt help either. Mine is great on a dry 90 degree day, but on humid days at 90 it is horrible
Old 06-24-2009, 03:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

just used mine today, worked great, my passenger complained about it being too cold actually.
Old 06-24-2009, 03:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fresh Crew
SL Member

There is a bit of a difference in temperature and humidity in Maryland as opposed to Texas. It sees people leave location out of the equation when speaking about AC. I'm sure if I were in Maine I would have the coolest AC but since i'm in the south it doesn't work that way.
Old 06-24-2009, 03:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah, it was only 80 degrees today. also, the car was parked in a garage so it wasn't heat soaked so it had an easier time keeping a cool car cool. but i used it in 90-100+ degree weather down in florida for my vacation last month.
Old 06-24-2009, 04:15 PM

I'm told that so long as theres a difference of 12 degrees A/C id considered "working". I had a old subaru with the same problem. My Dad does A/C on the subi we made the orifice bigger. It fixed it never had an issue with it freezing up BUT I would never think of doing it to my TC too new of a car to tinker with in that way.
Old 06-24-2009, 05:25 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

you might want to check your cabin filter
some tc's that come in at my work for a/c service dont come with one
that might help as well
Old 06-24-2009, 06:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by sualwang
HOUSTON It's really hot ! almost 100 everyday. I'm going to the dealer tomorrow!
Allow me to ask a few questions that haven't been asked so far.

1 - Are your windows tinted??
2 - Do you use a front wind screen sun shield if you park in direct sunlight??
3 - Do you close the shields in your moon roof or do you leave them open??
4 - Do you run your AC on the recirculation cycle mode??

Seeing at I live in central Florida and it's mid 90s every day and the heat index can push feels like temps over 100 with ease I don't have a major issue with the AC in my tC after about 10-15min of running on 100% cold. Sure you might have a problem with your AC but if you can answer YES to all four questions you really shouldn't be having the problems you talk about.

All that glass on the roof, front and hatch makes keeping the tC as cool as a hard top seadan but saying yes too those four questions does make a huge difference, just as opening the windows when you first take off to exchange out the hotter interior air with the some what "cooler" exterior air.

Cheers
Old 06-24-2009, 08:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I feel it should be better but oh well. I took mine back to the stealership and they said its operating normally.
Old 06-26-2009, 10:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by engifineer
Heat index is 105 today (temp of 95 or so) and mine freezes me. Coming from me that says a lot since I am warm natured.

For the person that said theirs dwindled to nothing, you obviously have an issue that needs to be repaired, like a leak.

For others, run it on recirc. As mentioned you will only see about a 15 - 20 degree drop over intake temp. If you are pulling outside air, then you are not getting anywhere on a really hot day.

Also keep in mind that the tC has a black interior which absorbs a lot of the suns energy and takes a while to cool down when really hot. Keeping your sunroof shades closed will help. Mine can take a bit to fully cool down when it has sat in the sun. When sitting in our parking ramp at work today in 95 degree temps, but out of the sun, it was freezing in a few minutes.

On some of the earlier tC's there was a tsb to up the refridgerant level on them to improve cooling. If you have an 05 you may look to see if yours was one of them.
Listen to this man, everything he said is true.
Old 06-27-2009, 03:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by draxcaliber
have any of you guys read the manual where it tells you how to get the A/C to work as fast as possible?

when starting your car after it has been lying out in the sun, open all the windows and sun roof (provided it isn't raining), and run the fan at full speed with the a/c on and the cranked to the coolest settings. this helps the car circulate air faster to help get all the hot air out of the vents, and also cool down the heat soaked vents and get all the hot air out of the car, rather than trying to cool down all that air.

i have an 05, and while i don't use the a/c often, it works great when i need it to.
The best post in this thread.
Old 06-27-2009, 06:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

dont forget that our sunroofs are pure glass on top. i usually feel the heat coming from on top of my head. my friend increased the pressure on my AC and it helped out a little bit more.
Old 06-27-2009, 07:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The 20 minutes for it to cool down problem is exactly what I had. Its on the list of TSB's for the tC that you can get fixed. I took mine to the dealership several years ago and said this sucks, fix it. And they did.
Old 06-27-2009, 09:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

All they do is add more refrigerant and put a new sticker under the hood They changed the amount of 134 that the system is supposed to be charged to after a certain point to make it cool down faster.
Old 06-28-2009, 02:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What is a TSB?
Old 06-28-2009, 02:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by bsptcftw
What is a TSB?
Technical Service Bulletin
Old 06-28-2009, 02:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

mine works like crap.
Old 06-28-2009, 03:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well, today was a good hot day to test the a/c. on the way home from autocrossing, i got stuck in slow traffic, so i closed up the car and started using the a/c. at first the air was cold, but the car wasn't cooling down that much, i wasn't hot, but the car was just mild, so i closed the shades to the sun roof and set the a/c to recirculate, and before long, i was turning the a/c **** up gradully to get comfortable.
Old 06-28-2009, 06:50 AM

i dont even use the a/c i just leave it on defrost/feat and recirc.....it gets as cold as the a/c does, and im in 80-95 degree temp
Old 06-28-2009, 04:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Defrost runs the AC automatically.

Quick Reply: Is all tC A/C not cold enough?