Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Alright can cops clock you on radar if both cars are moving?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 10:12 AM
SL Member

Congratulations on your new commitment!

Old 04-06-2008, 10:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

http://youtube.com/watch?v=2U3suqfWRz8
Old 04-06-2008, 10:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

There are 4 methods of getting a speed reading:

Radar: they have both handheld and cruiser mounted radar guns. Angle is less of an issue, but it is harder to pinpoint a vehicle in heavy traffic. Radar also works well in bad weather.

Pacing: has to be done within a certain distance, and the officer must be able to see you, the plus side being that you can see them, if you're paying attention.

Lidar: aka laser, instantaneous readings with little to no scatter. They are not as effective at long distances, as the laser beam widens to a considerable degree. They cannot be used while moving, as the vehicle must be targeted with the handheld's sight/scope. They are also unreliable in bad weather.

VASCAR/Air: undetectable and hard to spot, altough some states require the speed reading to be confirmed by a ground unit.

Radar detectors are a very effective countermeasure, as is a good understanding of the law. Knowing what to say and what not to say when pulled over can mean the difference between getting a ticket and getting off.

I recently was pulled over and posted a story about it in the pac south forum. I had and still have a detector and plain view, but I did not get a ticket... Food for thought...
Old 04-06-2008, 03:52 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey just to be on the safe side, and just ask the police officer next time you get pulled over, ask them for the radar reading that they got you on... I did that and the officer let me go cuz i knew he didn't have a radar.... and just in case he does not show it to you, just tell him you wouldlike to speak to a supervisor... they CANNOT deny you from this.... I know cuz i was an LAPD cadet... so give it a shot.... it worked for me.... just pray the officer is lying when you get pulled over or else your screwed....
Old 04-06-2008, 04:12 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

laser lost a case in NJ for inaccurate.....Photo tickets got kicked out of NC the over head was too much...only the PNI is true stealth that I have seen and works with laser......now drive it like you stole it.....on the track
Old 04-06-2008, 07:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by banginonallcylinders
just wait! in 2010 theres gonna be a new system in socal, basically its just like the stoplight cameras, only they're infrared speed stops. they just get built on the side of the highway and they clock your speed and get a pic of your license plate. u get a ticket in the mail and thats that.
This is nothing new, and it's not a case of Big Brother is watching you. They've had speed cameras all across Western Europe since the early 90's. When I lived in the UK, the main stretch of highway near me was infested with speed cameras. There was a stationary camera about every 2 to 3 miles, and they would also mount speed cameras inside vans and park them in random places at the side of the road. It's like having a patrol officer at the side of the road, but without the chase and the take-down. They just take your picture and send you a fine in the mail if you are going 10 or more over the limit.
Old 04-06-2008, 07:53 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Yes than can clock you and obviously you know that because he stated your speed and you admit to doing it. So his speed was radar was correct.
Old 04-06-2008, 07:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
SL Member

Default Re: Alright can cops clock you on radar if both cars are mov

Originally Posted by Rizzie
From what I've always thought and understood that the radars on state troopers and other cops cant get a reading of how fast you are going if the trooper is driving and im driving. On easter I was going northbound and a trooper was going southbound, he said he clocked me at 94 which i was doing. he let me go with no tickets. today i did 70 something past a sheriff, he turned around and told me i was doin around 70 and gave me a ticket but just said to plea not guilty and he will drop the ticket for me. So am i wrong or right with the radars not getting a reading while he is moving??
so why even write the ticket...[/b]
Old 04-06-2008, 10:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Strictly Scionized
SL Member

Originally Posted by 1SWTTC2006
Hey just to be on the safe side, and just ask the police officer next time you get pulled over, ask them for the radar reading that they got you on... I did that and the officer let me go cuz i knew he didn't have a radar.... and just in case he does not show it to you, just tell him you wouldlike to speak to a supervisor... they CANNOT deny you from this.... I know cuz i was an LAPD cadet... so give it a shot.... it worked for me.... just pray the officer is lying when you get pulled over or else your screwed....
The officer doesn't have to show you ANYTHING.
A quote off of a insurance website
In California there is actually no right to see the radar, it is up to the discretion of the police officer that makes the stop. There is no law in any state that we are aware of that requires an officer to show you the reading on the radar or laser gun. In fact if anything most jurisdictions discourage this as a matter of safety. If the officer does show you, it is a courtesy only. If the officer says you were speeding and their radar was calibrated as required by law than that is typically all the proof the judge needs to find you guilty in court.
Old 04-06-2008, 10:29 PM
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club

just wait! in 2010 theres gonna be a new system in socal, basically its just like the stoplight cameras, only they're infrared speed stops. they just get built on the side of the highway and they clock your speed and get a pic of your license plate. u get a ticket in the mail and thats that.
Really? On what freeways is this? My mom's friends a cop and they don't need a reading just judgement
Old 04-07-2008, 12:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

With all the shootings and hang violence, the last thing we need are speed cameras. It's OK though, i'm sure that they'll be shout out or painted over with graffiti in no time! I don't think i've seen a road sign without graffiti in LA for at least a few months....
Old 04-07-2008, 01:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by HighMPGTesting
Please - Drive the speed limit. They make race tracks and drag strips to really show off your muscle. Also, the law says you can only go xx miles per hour. But they don't say how FAST you can go from 0 to xx. ;)

It also saves tire wear.

Romans 13:1-2 I don't know if you are a Christian, but you may want to give this some thought if you are...
Sorry but this isn't true you can get pulled over for going to fast from point a to point b even if your under the speed limit i know cuz thats how i got my first ticket i forget what they call it but they can pull you over and there is no way to fight the ticket cuz theres not really any regulations on it its similar to being pulled over for reckless driving theres no set parameters its just if the cop is in a bad mood they can pull you over and give you a ticket so dont do this
Old 04-07-2008, 02:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

^ indeed. its be either reckless driving or worse "illegal street/drag racing"
Old 04-07-2008, 04:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

they can get you. its pretty modern technology. a lot of cops will let you go if they catch you wile someone else next to you is speeding, unless they think youre racing in which case they can become bigger (insert expletive here). i always set court and if he shows up then ask for a continuance and hire a lawyer to keep delaying it.
Old 04-12-2008, 10:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by izze2010
Really? On what freeways is this? My mom's friends a cop and they don't need a reading just judgement
they're talking about installing them in so-cal on the 5 and 15 freeways between LA and San Diego, and on the 405 and a few others within LA. the guy who talked about the ones in europe is spot on, they aren't "new" except in the US it was illegal until some loopholes opened up in the law after some propositions passed over the last few years.
Old 04-13-2008, 01:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well on topic with how radar i "thought" worked is that it sends a beam out and comes back something like sonar? so if your both coming towards each other one north other sounds its sending out a signal and coming back accurately because its knowing how fast the officer is going and calculates how fast the beam goes back to the officer determining the speed your going

now if your next to the cop i "thought" he couldn't radar you just pace you so the only was he can radar you is if he is stationary or on oncoming traffic? i might be wrong but that was my theory
Old 04-13-2008, 01:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^ The radar can give your speed relative to the cop. If he is "pacing" you, he can hit you with the radar to determine your speed relative to his. If the radar determines that you are accelerating away from the cop at a rate of 5mph and the cop is traveling at 75mph, then you must be doing 80mph.
Old 04-13-2008, 02:01 AM
Banned
SL Member

It depends on the radar that they are using. If its a hand held radar and there car is currently moving then NO..they are not able to obtain an accurate reading but if the radar is positioned on top of there car in a fixed position then YES you can get a ticket. My only advice is to run and dont look back!
Old 04-13-2008, 02:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

indeed... radar guns are quite advanced nowadays. best defense against them is a good detector such as the beltronics (my rx-55 has saved my bacon quite a few times). there are also other measures you can take to reduce the radar cross-section of the car a la stealth aircraft, but doing so is simply not worth it - such modifications could prove highly effective however, as police radar guns are tightly regulated by the FCC as regards radiated power... the base technology is identical to microwave ovens, so it wouldnt be a very good idea to have a too-strong microwave source shooting out of a cruiser.

beware... possible rant warning

as for the speed cameras... well... lets just say that they are a perfect example of the fact that speed limits are set for public safety as a purely secondary concern to levying a tax on those who exceed the posted limits. think about it... if the government really didnt want people exceeding a certain speed, all vehicles capable of speeds in excess of said limit would be outright prohibited from operating on public roads, the manufacture of parts or the hacking of electronics to permit such operation would be major felonies with massive fines and jail sentences for both private individuals and corporations outside the government, and we would all be forced to drive SMART cars or something similar.

of course, there is really no money in such an endeavour for the government, so that will never happen. they really want us to keep right on speeding so they can fine the hell out of us. as an example of this, how fast will you lose your liscense if you fail to either pay a speeding ticket, go to traffic school or beat the rap in court vs paying the fine on time, going to traffic school, and pleading guilty like a good little drone? one guess...
Old 04-13-2008, 02:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hmmm... while I am on the subject of the government setting traffic codes for the purpose of taxation thru fines over public safety, let me give another example:

HOV lanes

I must admit to not being very familiar with how they are setup outside of florida, but in this state, they are typically enforced only during high-congestion periods - rush hour - and effectively cut the available capacity of the highways by 25% or more during those times. this forces the overwhelming majority of vehicles into a seriously unsafe condition, where they are at greater risk of accidents of all kinds, in favor of a tiny minority of vehicles, most of which are only carrying a single passenger (not including the driver). it goes without saying that by artificially constraining the free flow traffic on already overburdened roadways, these lanes not only increase the risk of serious accidents, but also increase the gasoline expenditure of the vehicles caught up in the jams (increasing gasoline prices, pollution etc). drivers also get highly frustrated by the incurred delays, leading to highly dangerous driving - just yesterday a girl in a tc just behind me was almost run into the median wall on I-95 by a pickup truck looking to get into the HOV lane during rush hour, yet what were all the troopers doing? giving tickets to cars that were in the HOV lane with only their driver aboard.

come to think of it, how often do you see big pickups and SUVs pulled over for speeding? I hardly ever see it, yet even hummers do 100mph down here on a regular basis. talk about unsafe!

ok I think Ive ranted enough ^^

Quick Reply: Alright can cops clock you on radar if both cars are moving?