2005-2010 [ANT10]

Any engineers in the house? We could use some LSD

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2005, 04:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Any engineers in the house? We could use some LSD

I'm not very educated on how LSDs are supposed to work, be installed, or if it's even possible on our car.

All I know is, is that the Differential we have limits us when it comes to having fun :D

Can anyone discuss how a LSD can be fabricated, and installed?

I see alot of Civic LSDs for sale and whatnot. Is a LSD universal or partly universal? Can we possibly use a LSD from another Toyota?

Thanks for the info!

P.S. Tein SS coilovers should have been finished. I'm gonna email them today about them.
Old 01-06-2005, 05:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

LSD's come into action when one of the wheels looses traction due to road conditions like water or mud. It makes both wheels to accelerate at the same rate. Now, if both wheels are on a dry and even surface and you want maximum acceleration without traction loss (skreeching tires) then you are talking about traction control. It is done by the computer by reducing the power sent to the wheels until the car recovers traction. In some vehicles, even the brakes would actuate automatically to reduce the spinning of those wheels going faster than the slowest wheels on the set.

Just my two cents
Old 01-06-2005, 06:49 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by niguels
LSD's come into action when one of the wheels looses traction due to road conditions like water or mud. It makes both wheels to accelerate at the same rate. Now, if both wheels are on a dry and even surface and you want maximum acceleration without traction loss (skreeching tires) then you are talking about traction control. It is done by the computer by reducing the power sent to the wheels until the car recovers traction. In some vehicles, even the brakes would actuate automatically to reduce the spinning of those wheels going faster than the slowest wheels on the set.
Actually on a limited slip differential the wheels do not accelerate at the same rate. Every LSD has a "locking rate" which determines how much the power is distributed. Let's say on a 60% Lock LSD then the wheel with the least traction recieves 40% of the power while the spinning wheel recieves 60%. They are made like this so you can turn corners without your tires chirping. The higher the locking rate is, however, the faster your tires will wear out and the more unpredictable the handling in inclement weather is. I had an F-150 with 3.73 gearing and a LSD and when it was wet and you tried to acclerate, let's say pulling out of your neighborhood, the back end would kick out into opposing traffic if you were not careful with your throttle application, but I would imagine it is different on a FWD car.
Old 01-06-2005, 07:05 PM
Banned
SL Member

lsd in an FWD has to be pretty weak, simply because they are the turning wheels...