Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Any other superchargers in development?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2004, 08:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Any other superchargers in development?

Well, now that we know that there are a few companies coming out with turbos for the tc that will pump it up anywhere from 200hp to 500hp, I was wondering if there were any companies besided TRD that were planning on building supercharges for it?
I want more then the 200hp the TRD is supposed to put out, but I dont' need 500hp, nore the hassles of building up the engine/trans/etc. to handle that kind of power.
I love turbos, but for my daily driver, I dont' want to worry about the oil maintanence, turbo timers and whatnot. I just want a simple bolt on supercharger to get up between 230hp and 300hp.

I really hope this does not turn into a SuperCharger vs. Turbo thread as it's been done to death. Just any info on alternative SuperChargers is what I'm looking for.
Old 11-01-2004, 08:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i seen a post from one of the scion of napervill guys that said the trd supercharger is dynoing about 225-230 so i think that would be good for the price since it keeps the warrenty
Old 11-01-2004, 08:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if you can find the NOPI Compact catalog.. there is an article about the tC right up front...it has a side column on supercharging the tC...it said that it's using a lower amount of pressure just to be safe and that they are working on a kit that will up the amount for more power...
Old 11-01-2004, 08:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by hal9000
if you can find the NOPI Compact catalog.. there is an article about the tC right up front...it has a side column on supercharging the tC...it said that it's using a lower amount of pressure just to be safe and that they are working on a kit that will up the amount for more power...
For more power then the TRD supercharger? Did it say how far along in development they are? Projected release date?
Old 11-01-2004, 10:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Its a common misconception that turbos require more maintanence than a supercharger. Both need oil. A turbo doesn't need anything special, where a supercharger has tensioners, belts, and all that fun stuff that has to be adjusted, replaced, and serviced.
Old 11-01-2004, 11:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Nick@AGP
Its a common misconception that turbos require more maintanence than a supercharger. Both need oil. A turbo doesn't need anything special, where a supercharger has tensioners, belts, and all that fun stuff that has to be adjusted, replaced, and serviced.
I know. I just prefer the linear power curve of a supercharger over the suden kick and possible lag of a turbo. Plus, I don't wnat to bother with installing a turbo timer and having the engine running after I park. But like I said:
I really hope this does not turn into a SuperCharger vs. Turbo thread as it's been done to death. Just any info on alternative SuperChargers is what I'm looking for.
Old 11-02-2004, 01:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ill take the turbo for 2 reasons, 1 the sound it makes with the blow off valves, and 2 you save more gas with a turbo.
Old 11-02-2004, 01:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Don't need a turbo timer. They are a scam and waste of money. I've had more turbo cars than I can count and none have had a turbo timer. I've seen thousands of turbos with 100k+ miles that were never turbo timed.

You can get a better power curve, and better low end out of a properly sized turbo. It will not have any lag.
Old 11-02-2004, 02:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33741

:?: :?: :?:
Old 11-02-2004, 02:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Here is the scoop-The TRD Supercharger will not be released at SEMA-although it may be displayed. Official Launch will be at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit in January. Power is stated to be upto 200 with the stock intake and exhaust. So add a different intake-AEM or Injen or whatever and an exhaust then you should be up a bit more. There are rumors of a few more goodies offered by TRD for the tC to boost power even more, like headers etc. The Vortech style supercharger will be running only 5 psi-rather low and easily increased-(someone will figure this out real quick). The Supercharger package will also include an upgrade Engine Management sytem and injectors etc.

Scion is looking at a few things-maybe making sure the tC produces more hp than the Cobalt SS or RSX-S. Another more reasonable reason for the delay is supply. Our dealership has taken quite a few orders for the Supercharger already. Iguess people want to ensure they get one right a way. If its anything like the TRD exhaust-remember the back order situation-then demand will likely outstrip the supply.

All this from pestering our Scion Field Managers to death.

So realistically you could get close to your hp goal with TRD accessories.

marcelino
Old 11-02-2004, 12:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

From what I have heard, the TRD supercharger is putting down 215-230 hp or so, and I am not sure whether they are testing that with the stage 2 intercooler that TRD plans on releasing as well. Even if they drop the supercharger to around 200hp, add the IC and I'm sure that it will get around what everyone wants out of the tC.
Old 11-02-2004, 12:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ICLUB2
ill take the turbo for 2 reasons, 1 the sound it makes with the blow off valves, and 2 you save more gas with a turbo.
The supercharger for the tC can use a BOV, too, and that is a bad reason. And the gas mileage difference will be negligible. It is a centrifugal not roots.