Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

any place to get your credit score for free?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2004, 03:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default any place to get your credit score for free?

seriously...
Old 11-29-2004, 03:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

no (not that I know of). go to www.myfico.com and its about $35 for all three scores (you want all three). if you hunt around you can get one or so for free, then add in the $5 for the actual "score", instead of just the credit history. trust me, its money WELL spent (and don't hesitate to bring the scores to the dealer...).

hope this helps.
Old 11-29-2004, 03:51 PM
5 Year Member

Anytime you're denied credit you're entitled to a free copy. Some states, like MA, say you get one free credit report from each bureau per year. Otherwise, the $35 is money well spent.
Old 11-29-2004, 03:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Problem with getting your own score is it's often different by 50 or so points then the one the dealer gets. This is do to the fact that different lenders way criteria differently. 50 points can be the difference of getting 9% or 4.85% when dealing with scion. In all actuality the 35 dollars you'd spend probably isn't worth it.
Old 11-29-2004, 03:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

www.freecreditprofile.com will allow you to see your TransUnion if you sign up for a free 30-day trial of some credit security thing

and
www.freecreditreport.com will get you your Experian one, also if you sign up for some free-30-day thing.

I used the TransUnion one, but haven't tried the other one. Just remember to CANCEL THE ACCOUNT, or they will charge you after one month has ended for whatever they have you signed up for.
Old 11-29-2004, 04:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Exclusive
SL Member

Originally Posted by irascion
Anytime you're denied credit you're entitled to a free copy. Some states, like MA, say you get one free credit report from each bureau per year. Otherwise, the $35 is money well spent.
Credit report and credit score are two different things. Otherwise, though, what irascion said is correct -- in every state, a person is entitled to a free copy of his/her credit report from each of the three credit unions at least once a year (or possibly more, depending on your state of residence), or upon being denied credit.

They don't have to provide a credit score for free, though.
Old 11-29-2004, 07:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by basilisk4
Credit report and credit score are two different things. Otherwise, though, what irascion said is correct -- in every state, a person is entitled to a free copy of his/her credit report from each of the three credit unions at least once a year (or possibly more, depending on your state of residence), or upon being denied credit.

yes they do. I work for a mortgage comp. And we all recieved a letter from our credit company stating that under the new bill of president bush we (loan officers) are herby to give a copy of a credit report to our clients. onlyyyyy upon request. If they dont give it to you thats BS ... because they have to
Old 11-29-2004, 07:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well i got my score and report from www.freecreditprofile.com... pretty good score i guess.
Old 11-29-2004, 08:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Exclusive
SL Member

Originally Posted by rolstc
yes they do. I work for a mortgage comp. And we all recieved a letter from our credit company stating that under the new bill of president bush we (loan officers) are herby to give a copy of a credit report to our clients. onlyyyyy upon request. If they dont give it to you thats BS ... because they have to
Once again: a credit report is not the same thing as a credit SCORE. They do NOT have to provide a credit score.

P.S. President Bush can't pass laws.
Old 11-29-2004, 08:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Strictly Scionized
SL Member

Originally Posted by rolstc
Originally Posted by basilisk4

Credit REPORT, not credit SCORE.
Old 11-29-2004, 09:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No company should every provide you with a copy of your credit report. (generally state to state laws are different) Everyone is entitled to a copy of there Report once a year or when turned down (as said before). I also work for a mortgage company we are not permitted to distribute credit reports. If we did we would be liable for the info on them. Now in the turndown letter it does say a free one can be obtained by contacting credit bureaus. Experian, Equifax, and Trans Union. Only those companies should be distributing them, period.
Old 11-29-2004, 09:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

qspace.com is $14.95 and you get your report and your score.
Old 11-29-2004, 09:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

anytime u get your credit checked, its a point deducted. i would be worried more about that then the price. so might as well get it checked by the dealer and then they show u your score and what is on your file, well they did to me.
Old 11-29-2004, 10:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by RayDiz
anytime u get your credit checked, its a point deducted. i would be worried more about that then the price. so might as well get it checked by the dealer and then they show u your score and what is on your file, well they did to me.
anytime *you* check your own score there is no deduction. don't trust car dealers, as they have different methods of scoring anyway, but if you have your own scores you'll likely do better. also head into negotiations with a loan already secured, we got one through www.lendingtree.com which was a full percentage point lower than what they were offering. After we literally pulled out a check that all we had to do was to sign and hand to them, they ended up beating the rate by .1% through a 3rd party lender. Go in there with your credit score from all three places and a check/loan through whichever company gives you the best rate (I think ours was eLoan?). I thought my gf was being ****, but for us it payed off.
Old 11-30-2004, 12:36 AM
5 Year Member

No matter who checkes your credit it shows up as inquiry and could effect your score. You do not want a lot of inquiries on your report because lenders start to look at that as being a negative. You also need to find out what credit reporting institute the manufacturer uses.

Example:

To qualify for Scion posted rates they use Equifax to get their scores. Some banks may use Transunion. And actaully all three instititutions may have different scores for the same person. Thay can vary up to 50 points or more depending on the credit history.

Car dealers can make up your credit score. It is what it is. With Scion if you qualify for the rate that is what you get. It is based on your credit history and score. It is a set rate. Which is cool because you do not have to worry about being taken advantage by the dealer. I f you are in doubt you always have the option to get your funding from another bank of your choosing. If you are not comfortable then sleep on the rate or do some thinking with out being in the finance office. Sometimes it is easier to think when you do not have a car guy staring at you. That is what I tell my customers. I rather have you leave happy thanupset. Buying a SCion should be fun and you should be excited and comfortable abou the experience!!!

Jen
Old 11-30-2004, 02:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Strictly Scionized
SL Member

Originally Posted by lvnurs9
qspace.com is $14.95 and you get your report and your score.

it's not a real score. you want your FICO score. they don't give you this.
Old 11-30-2004, 06:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by MzScion
No matter who checkes your credit it shows up as inquiry and could effect your score. You do not want a lot of inquiries on your report because lenders start to look at that as being a negative.
Thank you.....
Old 11-30-2004, 07:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by MzScion
No matter who checkes your credit it shows up as inquiry and could effect your score.

To qualify for Scion posted rates they use Equifax to get their scores. Some banks may use Transunion. And actaully all three instititutions may have different scores for the same person. Thay can vary up to 50 points or more depending on the credit history.
Well... Scion/Toyota Financial Services uses Experian's credit score, not Equifax. So if you're gonna do Scion's way of financing, Experian is the only thing that matters. And only lender inquiries show up on the credit report, if you check your own credit (through the credit bureaus themselves) it does not affect your score.
Old 11-30-2004, 08:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

hold your freaking horses.... begining dec. 1st... western states will have free anual reports, other states to follow. read article here
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6576905/?GT1=5807
so uhh tomorrow, ppl post your credit scores... hehe
Old 11-30-2004, 10:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

you picked the right category to post this question

Quick Reply: any place to get your credit score for free?