Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Anyone own an OBD Reader?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 06:26 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Anyone own an OBD Reader?

If so, which one and how do you like it?

Anyone familiar with this one:
Actron CP9125 PocketScan Diagnostic Code Reader for OBDII
Old 02-06-2007, 10:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I own and autotap diagnostic hookup. The software is a little glitchy now and then, but I like it for $140. I dont have the extra data for the toyota installed, so it just reads generic codes, but that usually gets the job done for me
Old 02-06-2007, 11:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Get a ScanGauge !!!!
Old 02-06-2007, 11:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scinergy

I have a generic code reader from Harbor Freight. $38.
It has helped out a lot working on my previous car and other cars.
Old 02-07-2007, 12:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Scangauge is cool for monitoring, but you cant view everything with it. It only allows a small set of parameters to be viewed, or at least the one I played with did.

The cool thing about the auto tap is the way you can display all the parameters you want in various ways, including virtual gauge faces on the screen.

But, it is a far cry from when I lived closer to home and could just run to the shop and use dads OTC :D At some point I will probably shell out a few grand and buy one of those.. but that comes later.
Old 02-07-2007, 01:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think there are about 16 different parameters and you can watch any 4 at a time on the gauge display then there are the trip info screens and scan tools.
Old 02-07-2007, 12:09 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

ScanGuageII looks like a strong candidate:

Old 02-07-2007, 09:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Seems like the one I played with only displaye about 5 or 6 actual OBDII parameters, but maybe it would do more. I do like being able to put 10 - 15 live graphs on the screen at once though on my laptop based one

That scangauge looks nicer in design at least though. Smaller and looks to have a power button. I couldnt figure out how to turn the other one off without unplugging it (Doc.. if you read this chime in.. since I just messed around with it while testing yours). I can tell you that taking one apart to swap leds and putting it back together is a bit of a puzzle
Old 02-07-2007, 11:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

There is no OFF button it goes to sleep all by itself once the engine is off and you are pushing any buttons (most of the time anyway). each of the 4 parameters shown above can be any of the 15-16 parameters that it monitors plus there are the trip info lime miles on current tank (since last fillup reset) current engine start cycle and the current day and yesterday totals of miles, average mpg, gallons, time running plus some peak rpm and temps etc. It automatically turns on when the engine is started and turns off about a minute after the engine is turned off. It also has a digital Tach and Speedometer but the air intake temp and water temps are probably the most useful. No one that has purchased one was sorry getting it from all that I have heard of and I own a Scanguage I and II so I have a spare to loan out to friends.
Old 02-09-2007, 08:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by engifineer
Seems like the one I played with only displaye about 5 or 6 actual OBDII parameters, but maybe it would do more. I do like being able to put 10 - 15 live graphs on the screen at once though on my laptop based one

That scangauge looks nicer in design at least though. Smaller and looks to have a power button. I couldnt figure out how to turn the other one off without unplugging it (Doc.. if you read this chime in.. since I just messed around with it while testing yours). I can tell you that taking one apart to swap leds and putting it back together is a bit of a puzzle
For the most part the Scangauge gets the job done and more while graphing and such may be nice for a mechanic usally it's too much for us shade tree guys
The SGII does let you send commands to display more functions but you need to know the strings...
As for the leds colors there are 7 standard screen colors and a custom setting with 63 possible colors. Not to shabby for the price I love mine!
Old 02-09-2007, 09:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

SGII looks pretty nice. I am a shade tree guy myself... but the engineer in me likes the extra features :D

The colors I have changed were on the original scan gauge. It is cool that he new unit changes colors.