Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

anyone try to autoX or drift in a tC? post times!

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2005, 12:00 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default anyone try to autoX or drift in a tC? post times!

depending on what engine/suspension/tire upgrades you have made, have you had much success autoXing or drifting in the tC. i know the tC is probably not much of a drift car, but i'm interested if anyone has tried it

if you have lets see some of your times!
Old 03-16-2005, 12:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hmmmm.......e-brake slides on ice is pretty fun......other than that....no
Old 03-16-2005, 01:46 PM
Banned
SL Member

we have a couple of tC's that run in our autoX club.

www.erscc.com for info, (pix and results ) look for #313
Old 03-16-2005, 06:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

drift? in a FWD eh? that would be kinda hard...
Old 03-16-2005, 06:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

If we talk about the actual term of drifiting, yes. The little sport of drifting came from the race term drifiting. Drifting in a corner allows the driver to carry more speed into the corner, and use the vhicle to brake for them... as well as pointing the vehicle into the apex of the corner. It is not quite as extreme as a powerslide. So in that sense, yes, I have drifted it around hard corners. Now in the sense of senselessly burning the tires off to look cool sliding around a track.... no, and it would be difficult to do to that extreme with a front wheel drive. It can be done... by throwing it into a corner such that the front bites and the ___ end begins breaking loose... but as far as the sport of drifting... it should be left to rwd.... if it is done at all
Old 03-16-2005, 06:33 PM
Banned
SL Member

rice is starting to boil over..

drifting FWDS lolol
Old 03-16-2005, 06:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

At my second AutoX I got a trophy for 7th Place novice (out of 60 novices)
T7 66 Jet Livingston 05 Scion tC Silver 64.769, 63.420, 62.799, 49.109*
http://www.delta-scca.org/Jan16_05/j...ss_results.htm

At my third AutoX I got a trophy for 1st Place novice (out of 20 novices)
T1 66 Jet Livingston 05 Scion tC Silver 36.628, 37.942, 36.753, 37.181, 36.283, 28.373*
http://www.delta-scca.org/05%20Delta...eb13_class.htm

* = Paxed Time

I don't know my times from my first AutoX. Acrobat isn't working on my computer here at work. You can see the results here: http://www.cenla-scca.org/results/DECCLASS.pdf. Just look for #66

Several Scion club members are going to a DELTA-SCCA AutoX school this Friday and Saturday, followed by an AutoX on Sunday. I'll post those results when they are available.

If anyone wants to see a video of one of my runs from my first AutoX, right click the link below and "Save Target As". Our site doesn't work too well for streaming.
http://www.deepsouthscions.com/archive/komik.MPG
Old 03-16-2005, 06:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

cut the girl some slack

Drifting isnt the fastest around the track. Its true the your corner entry speed will be higher, but exit speed will be slower. when you are drifting yuo cant accelerate out of the turn because your wheels dont have traction. being the fastest out of the turn is importent because if gives your more momentum into the straights or next turn

obviously im talking about a rwd. I dont really know the physics of FWD track racing
Old 03-16-2005, 07:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by reagulator
cut the girl some slack

Drifting isnt the fastest around the track. Its true the your corner entry speed will be higher, but exit speed will be slower. when you are drifting yuo cant accelerate out of the turn because your wheels dont have traction. being the fastest out of the turn is importent because if gives your more momentum into the straights or next turn

obviously im talking about a rwd. I dont really know the physics of FWD track racing
It depends on the degree of the slide. I am not talking hardcore powerslide. If done properly it definitely helps. Now it also depends on the turn, banking etc... so it is not necessary in every case...... but, I was not talking about the pros and cons of drifting on the track, only the feasibility of doing it in a fwd. As far as fast cornering... of course any car can drift... but in the case of "sport" drifting (which IMO is no sport at all, just a fun thing to do when playing around. but to each his/her own) a fwd is not going to do so well. And I wasnt bashing anyone... sorry if that is the impression that you may have gotten (cut the girl some slack).
Old 03-16-2005, 07:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i was referring to the other people who said it wasnt possible but didnt explain why

side note: plus to add on to your statement, "drifing" is simply a term for sliding your car. Oversteer is not the only kind of drifting, there is 4 wheel drift too
Old 03-17-2005, 02:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Yeah, understeering a rwd properly will allow you to take the hardest line... and cut the corners faster. 4 wheel drift.

As for fwd cars not being able to drift... I would think that fwd car has the advantage of better traction over rwd cars... the fact that fwd cars can come into a turn, and when the accelerator is pushed, steering straightens itself out much easier... but a rwd loses traction.
Old 03-17-2005, 02:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Why is there a drift thread for FWD cars? Quit kidding yourself. Anyone can e brake around a corner. That is NOT drifting.
Old 03-17-2005, 03:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

Can you guys stick to the topic and answer the question? I personally am interested in how other tC drivers perform at AutoX's and this thread is going off on a tangent about FWD drifting being stupid. I'm not saying it's not, it's just not the topic at hand. So please, if you AutoX'd / drifted your car, post your times. If not, post somewhere else.

Originally Posted by Tamago
we have a couple of tC's that run in our autoX club.
www.erscc.com for info, (pix and results ) look for #313
G-Stock
6 313 tC 60.622+4 59.504 58.368 57.752 57.752 0.054
Turning your tC into a Cone Killing Corvette? j/k

Have you heard anything about the 2005 Rulebook listing the tC in H-Stock? Someone mentioned that to me recently. I'm in STS now (damn springs), so it doesn't affect me. I was just curious.
Old 03-17-2005, 03:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by WarrenSteve
See the recent thread about duct taping McDonald's plastic food trays to the front two wheels...
Old 03-17-2005, 04:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Somnambulated
Originally Posted by WarrenSteve
See the recent thread about duct taping McDonald's plastic food trays to the front two wheels...
I think you mean the rear wheels and you dont have to use duct tape. Just put the e-brake on