2005-2010 [ANT10]

The Automatic tC is a shiftamatic

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2004, 05:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default The Automatic tC is a shiftamatic

Anybody else test drive an automatic tC and notice the same thing I did.

The automatic is a semi-stick!!! That's good for me since my wife doesn't know how to drive a stick.

Very cool...it has almost sold me on buying a tC. I just need to test drive the new 2005 Mustang GT first. Not quite sure which one I want.
Old 06-22-2004, 05:25 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

wtf? huh? what do u mean shiftmatic? all it does is D 3 2 ? same as any other auto?
Old 06-22-2004, 05:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah your correct but the lockout button has been removed...making the auto tranny a shiftamatic...just like the old 60's Volkswagen autosticks.

Also the Overdrive button (usually small electric one on the shift handle) found on most automatics has also been remove from the tC.

You tap the stick to the left and you go from Overdrive into 3rd...from there you can shift into 2nd just by a straight pull down.

What makes this an autostick is the simple fact that you can cycle the shift lever from 2nd to 3rd and back just by shifting up or down AND without pushing in a lockout button. For street driving this make the car a lot more fun when cornering because you can down shift into the gear you want keeping the RPM's in the power range for each corner.

Is it a full stick...NO but it sure is better than grandmas automatic Lincoln Towncar and for me it was quite a surprise.
Old 06-22-2004, 06:34 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

hmm i thought u always could just pull down to 3 or 2 without having to press the lockout button..... i never pull down from D on my car. but i have done it to move it to neutral and drive without having to press the lock out button. I'm pretty sure u don't need to press the button to pull down to 3?
Old 06-22-2004, 08:49 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

ditto.

i can do that with my 93 honda accord dx (auto of course). i have to push the button to switch into P and R or 2 and L but i can go back and forth between N D4 and D3 freely without pressing the lockout button.
Old 06-22-2004, 12:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think when people talk about shiftamatics now a days, they refer to the shifting system commonly found in VW and audi. The normal shifting is a straight up and down shift, no gates. But you can push the shifter to the left to engauge shiftomatic. The shifter functions as a toggle switch, push up, you go up a gear, push down, you drop down a gear. This can also be done with paddles on the steering wheel.

what this does is not only allow you to drop a gear, but also to settle into a higher gear without lightening up on the gas to convince your car that it needs to go into a higher gear.

Does this make sense?

Also, the Audi T2 (I think) is the grandaddy of this concept. THey use a dual clutch system for adjacent gears so that there is virtually no lag in shift response.

It would be more appropriate to call the TC a gated shifter.

Sorry for no links or pictures, it's almost 8 and I need to get to work.
Old 06-22-2004, 12:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

dude.. if you yank that auto into 2nd your gonna f--- up your tranny with some quickness..

I had an old 89 Spectrum that I drove like that and tore that car up by doing it. If you really want performance driving get a manual and either teach your wife to drive it or keep her butt in the passenger seat.
Old 06-22-2004, 12:21 PM
5 Year Member

Is it just me or is anyone else confused by this. The tC does not have an "autostick" or "shiftmatic" or "tiptronic" transmission. The fact that there is no button is just a newer way of making a more upscale shifter. The 04 Maxima has both an auto and and automanual depending on the model. Both do not require a button when moving the shifter, however, only the one with the option to throw the shifter to the right and shift up and down is a true manumatic (similar to that on the Mazda 3). And as someone mentioned before, you throw an auto down a gear too hard and there goes your tranny.
Old 06-22-2004, 07:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Going from 3rd gear down to 2nd shouldn't be at all bad on the tranny. When you mash the gas to pass a vehicle on the freeway the car does it for you automatically.

The idea behind being able to shift from 3rd to 2nd and then back to 3rd without using a lockout button is for cornering. If your going fast enough and hard enough into the corner 2nd gear is probably all your going to need unless it is a hairpin.

Also consider the fact that IMSA cars use a different "stronger" system but it is basically the same. The Automatic Celica even trys to sell the ability in it's literature and "propoganda".

Going from 3rd into 1st at a high speed will kill the car I agree.

I also agree that it isn't an official manumantic and Gated Shifter would be a better term. The old 60's bugs used these types of tranny's alot. Not as good as a stick because they broke down when used in a sand environment but they worked good on the street.
Old 06-23-2004, 12:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sounds good and fun to me. Sounds like the tC will take the fun factor of driving a Scion to a new level and hopefully this will be the trend going forward in the next vehicle that come out from Scion! :D

Al.Truistic
aB
Originally Posted by brasscorpion
Going from 3rd gear down to 2nd shouldn't be at all bad on the tranny. When you mash the gas to pass a vehicle on the freeway the car does it for you automatically.

The idea behind being able to shift from 3rd to 2nd and then back to 3rd without using a lockout button is for cornering. If your going fast enough and hard enough into the corner 2nd gear is probably all your going to need unless it is a hairpin.

Also consider the fact that IMSA cars use a different "stronger" system but it is basically the same. The Automatic Celica even trys to sell the ability in it's literature and "propoganda".

Going from 3rd into 1st at a high speed will kill the car I agree.

I also agree that it isn't an official manumantic and Gated Shifter would be a better term. The old 60's bugs used these types of tranny's alot. Not as good as a stick because they broke down when used in a sand environment but they worked good on the street.
Old 06-23-2004, 01:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i test drove the auto one, and trust me, that shift thing make me feel like i am driving a benz. i like the shift system, getting an auto tranny isn't bad at all, you can kick some butt with that thing...well not as good as manual one thought.
Old 06-23-2004, 08:04 PM
5 Year Member

semi-automatic transmis_sions? < thats where you can shift and it automaticly does the clutch for you ?