Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Best Buy/Circuit City installation for remote start?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 08:17 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Best Buy/Circuit City installation for remote start?

OK, from what some people have told me, is that I should NOT have BB or CC install stuff for my car, but rather take it to a local car audio shop. I'm wondering why. Do they mess up your car? Why pay so much more at a local store, when BB/CC can install much cheaper and I can get a better system?

Anyways, I want to get a remote start for my '07 tC. My local car audio can do it for around $350. I can get a much better system including install at BB/CC. What should I watch out for if I go that route?

Also, what about buying a system on eBay for pretty cheap? (like the Viper 771XVR for $160, or the Viper 160XVR for around $80) Is it best to buy the system elsewhere and let BB/CC/local car store install it?

Hey, I'm just trying to save a few bucks, but, is it worth it? I can't help remind myself of the saying "you get what you pay for", but am I just paranoid?

(you really aren't paranoid if they really are out to get you)
Old 01-16-2008, 08:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I got my 771 installed at Best Buy and I have had no problems.

Took em about 6 hours but it was also saturday after Christmas and they were very backed up.

Everything works great,the alarm sensitivity is set perfect, the remote start range is great.

When I first had it put in the range wasnt that great.
I had to move the antenna to the midddle of the windsheild.
After that the range gained about 100'
The 1200' range is very overrated.
Close to 700' ish

Id say talk to your installer first and make sure he knows what hes doing
anything else just ask
Old 01-16-2008, 09:21 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

No matter where you go, you should talk to the installer. No one is out to get you or anything like that. Ive had problems with both Best Buy, Circuit, and local shops.....

If your Best Buy is reputable, they will do a good job and guarentee their work. Local shops can sometimes give you a more personal experience, but sometimes have to charge you more because its a small shop
Old 01-16-2008, 10:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I install for Circuit City and honestly it all depends on what Circuit you go to. Some are terrible and some are really good. Honestly though I have see a lot of small audio shops do some shady work. All wires are soldered at Circuit City where many (not saying all) small audio shops use T-taps and crimp caps.
You can generally get a feel for the type of work that is going to be done by talking to the installer and looking around the shop. If the shop looks like crap then their installs probably do too.
Old 01-16-2008, 11:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The problem with buying the system else where and having Best Buy or Circuit City install it is they will charge you the basic labor for the install. Where as some places include the basic install labor with the retail price and you pay for additional parts, relays, bypasses and labor to install them. The nice thing with the big box stores is they guarantee their work for your life of the car. The installers should also be MECP certified where as lord knows who gets hired at your local audio shop. It really is situational though.
Old 01-17-2008, 05:04 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

One more thing...from what I've read, is it true that the only way in my car is to actually use the key in the lock? Something about the power locks won't work with the valet/extra key near the ignition.

If so, then that sucks.

There must be a way around this, or maybe it's just for cheaper remote start units?

I don't care if I use the lock/unlock on the remote start transmitter, but can I? Does it bypass the security feature?
Old 01-17-2008, 05:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yes ,there is a part but I forgot the part number

anyways you dont need any keys.
Its a moudle that bypasses all that. X50 or something like that. Your shop should have em.
Old 01-17-2008, 05:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I use to work at best buy and I know that if you buy the stuff somewhere else they will not install it for you. Also at the best buy that I worked at the car audio workers suck and have no clue what they are doing. I'm sure at other best buys they have better workers so I would just do what liquidtension said and be sure you talk to the installers first.
Old 01-17-2008, 08:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I bought about $780 worth of audio equipment (speakers, headunit, amp, wiring..) at Circuit City on my integra and they did the install on it just fine =) no problems here
Old 01-17-2008, 08:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yea theres really nothing wrong with gettin stuff installed at big stores. most of the time youre gonna come out a whole lot cheaper too.
Old 01-18-2008, 01:00 AM
SL Member

It really does depend on which Best Buy or Circuit City you go to. Certain stores will have better installers than other. Also for the pricing, you should just ask around. I had something installed in my tC recently, Best Buy was planning on charging me $150 for it, but I went to the installer that did my alarm and he only charged me $50. I say shop around and talk to the installers, see who's more professional about their work and who's not.
Old 01-18-2008, 02:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Spitfire23
One more thing...from what I've read, is it true that the only way in my car is to actually use the key in the lock? Something about the power locks won't work with the valet/extra key near the ignition.

If so, then that sucks.

There must be a way around this, or maybe it's just for cheaper remote start units?

I don't care if I use the lock/unlock on the remote start transmitter, but can I? Does it bypass the security feature?
The fob that comes with the remote start will lock and unlock the doors. Step it up and get remote start and security. It's worth a few extra bucks anyway.
Old 01-18-2008, 06:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Like everyone said, it depends on which BB or CC you go to.

If at all possible...watch the techs work on other cars because it'll give you a preview of how they'll treat yours.

If I have to let someone else work on my car, I try to "supervise" their work instead of waiting around in the customer lounge reading magazines.

The thing with audio / alarm installations is that once they return the car to you, everything might sound great, but you never know if there's a wiring nightmare waiting to be discovered later when it's too late to complain.
Old 01-18-2008, 06:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you can install it anywhere it really depends on the person installing it
Old 01-18-2008, 06:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

One of the good ol questions on who is better.... I myself work at best buy. Now i don't work as an installer cause i could not wire a car for the life of me. But as many people have said, its who is installing it. I go my viper done by my guys. I have not a problem with it at all. it works just fine.

Sometimes you pay more up front but I know at Best Buy we honor our installs for the life of the car and i would not see my Circuit City wouldn't do the same. Small shops are fine to but if something happens down the road and that small shop is no longer in business........ you maybe S.O.L. as where you can pretty much and should be able to find a Best Buy or Circuit City near you.

Not here to say to go to BB or CC but most def meet who is doing it and ask how long they have been doing it. Good luck with it.
Old 01-18-2008, 12:27 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

One thing I did learn about talking to the people at BB and CC is that I can request who installs it on my car. The salesperson @ BB said that one of his guys is really slow but very **** and will make sure he does it perfect even if it takes him longer. He also said that another guy he has will sometimes rush through it, or get frsutrated if it takes him longer than he thinks, and that guy won't do as good of a job. I don't mind waiting if it's done correctly, to a certain extent.

I found that interesting. I also asked about MECP certification, and he said some of his guys have it, and some don't.

I'm going to speak with the folks @ CC today, and make a decision on what/who to go with.

BB sells Viper, and CC sells Python, which are basically the same systems, (both made by DEI) So it's going to come down to cost and installer. I don't mind paying a bit more if it's done right. (BB did seem a bit high for the install, but, we'll see today)

BB was for remote start only - $310 (low end model) Basic alarm system - $500 (low end model). Install included on both. Does that sound about right? It seemed a bit high to me.
Old 01-18-2008, 08:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

well... just to add my two cents... i used to be the install man. at the best buy by me before opening my shop now... one suggestion i always make to people looking into getting things done at bby or cc is get your appointment for first thing in the morning... why you ask... full timers, 90 percent of the time the full time guys are full timers because they like and know what they are doing... you get all the part time "think they know everything" teenagers to fill in the night slots.... but like everyone else says... talk to your installers... make sure they seem to know their ****.... 310 for a basic r/s seems kinda high.... 500 for a 791xv aint bad... but for a 771xv is kinda high as well.. (which is what i think you mean) but i havent worked at bby in over 2 years....
Old 01-19-2008, 08:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Around here not only does the small local install shop have more parts and better techs, but they're cheaper.
If you can find a competent tech that's the big thing, like everyone has been saying. If you still are clueless hit up your local clubs (Scikotcs, Scienergy, etc) they'll know someone that can do it for sure.
Old 01-21-2008, 11:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

bby does now have the 791 and its the same price as the old model but has the one mile range. way good deal.
Old 01-22-2008, 04:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Its now the 5900, $499 plus tax and additional parts. Personally I think its worth it for the money. Regardless of who installs it as long as its done right.

Quick Reply: Best Buy/Circuit City installation for remote start?