Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Which is better for a TC, Magnaflow or TRD?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2004, 07:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Which is better for a TC, Magnaflow or TRD?

Need help deciding on Exhaust for my TC..

TRD I can get for 400 Shipped from McGeorgeParts.com

or the Magnaflow Catback from Precision Muffler for 300

Which is better?? I had a Magnaflow and I loved it on my Eclipse. Basically Im looking for most Horsepower, I figured its about the same..But I've been hearing the Magnaflow is Deeper..Any input?!

Sorry if this is a repost..
Old 09-07-2004, 08:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You need to get a full answer from Stylis. He is the one who has the Magnaflow system. If you are looking for a Axel back go with the TRD. If you got some extra cash go for the Magnaflow cat back, that will give you the most power right now.
Old 09-07-2004, 08:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

yea the pricing on precisionmuffler have the axle back at 285..and the catback at 385 or so...plus shipping...
Old 09-07-2004, 12:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

MagnaFlow Axle Back

Anyone know if the MagnaFlow Axle back would have more HP than the TRD?>!
Old 09-07-2004, 03:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Im not sure if my logic is right here but lets seet.

TRD = Muffler + A little pipe.
Magnaflow = New Pipe from cat back.

Just looking at that I would think the Magnaflow would free up more HP because you remove more of the restrictions of the stock exhaust. The main thing that creates a lot of restriction though is the 2 cats on the car.
Old 09-07-2004, 06:20 PM

If you guys want some road info and power info. You can all PM scionlife member " SOILWORK_tC " He had the axle back on and than decided to get the cat back after. Maybe he can shed some light on the situation better for you. :D

Old 09-07-2004, 11:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, one thing to consider is that the cat back system from precisionMuffler is not street legal. The axle back is. They probably removed the sensors.
Old 09-08-2004, 12:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

ne sound clips? i would love to run magnaflow... but it all depends on the sound quality. If it's something like the catback system for the xB... i might buy it. I love the quiet low tone...and it's rumble as u press the accelerator. Nothing too loud...but enough to be heard.
Old 09-08-2004, 01:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

correct me if iam wrong but if u put on anything other then trd it wont pass emmisions
Old 09-08-2004, 01:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by reppindaTC
correct me if iam wrong but if u put on anything other then trd it wont pass emmisions
shouldn't all catback pass emissions? because it doesn't affect the factory cat. and shouldn't affect emissions, correct?

on a side note.
a cop let me look at his book of driving laws or whatever it is called. and it states something to this effect.
1. An automobile cannot have a excessively loud and/or distracting muffler/exhaust on any vehicle that might pose a distraction for other motorists.
i forgot how the whole thing went. it was awhile back.
Old 09-08-2004, 05:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I PMed SOILWORK_tC and asked for some more info about the MagnaFlow Cat. I still need some more input on which Exhaust you guys think is better?

TRD Axle-Back

MagnaFlow Axle-Back

MagnaFlow Cat-Back

Im ordering soon. I basically think they sounds similar, but I want most power..but if I go w/ the Cat back I want it 2 pass emissions and 2 be legal. I'll see what SOILWORK_tC says..Post up your preference!!!
Old 09-08-2004, 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by Mr Meaty
Well, one thing to consider is that the cat back system from precisionMuffler is not street legal. The axle back is. They probably removed the sensors.
There are no sensors on the exhaust system anyway. The reason we say it is for off road use is because because the secondary catalytic conver was removed for more HP. The PrecisionMuffler.com cat back will not cause your check engine light to come on, BUT because the secondary cat was removed it will not pass the visual inspection of the smog.

Originally Posted by BlueBox
ne sound clips? i would love to run magnaflow... but it all depends on the sound quality. If it's something like the catback system for the xB... i might buy it. I love the quiet low tone...and it's rumble as u press the accelerator. Nothing too loud...but enough to be heard.
right now there are no sound clips but we hope to have some by this weekend. The axle back sound is actually kind of quiet. And the cat back is very low and powerful like a BMW performance exhaust.

Originally Posted by reppindaTC
correct me if i am wrong but if u put on anything other then trd it wont pass emmisions
incorrect, any muffler can pass smog as long as it is a functioning muffler. Everything else before the muffler is something to worry about.

Originally Posted by jlaznlover
shouldn't all catback pass emissions? because it doesn't affect the factory cat. and shouldn't affect emissions, correct?
Alot of cars can have a cat back and pass smog, but this car has two cats and the cat back I designed removed the secondary cat. So not all cat backs are legal. Hope I answered all your questions, I went through all of this when the xA/xB axle backs came out.

Old 09-08-2004, 05:22 AM
5 Year Member

The company i work for has tested both the TRD and Magniflow systems for the tc on a chassis dyno. i found that neither system gives much of an inclrease over the stock stuff, but the TRD system gained about 3 hp and lost about 2 ft lbs, the magniflow system lost 5-10 hp before 4000 RPM and gained about 1-3 hp from 4500 to 5800. also the magniflow lost 3-18 ft lbs across the hole power band. The TRD system is desighned to work with the TRD supercharger. The sound was louder with the magniflow system but i didn't really like either of them, they got a little tinny at high RPM. most people think that a bigger pipe will make more power but it doesn't always, the cats do not hurt performance on the TC in fact they help build a little back pressure to build more low end TQ the same goes with the stock pipe. thats why the magniflow system lost all the TQ it is too large for the car. i have tested mnay aftermarket parts for these cars and mite be able to answer other questions
Old 09-08-2004, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by rx191
The company i work for has tested both the TRD and Magniflow systems for the tc on a chassis dyno. i found that neither system gives much of an inclrease over the stock stuff, but the TRD system gained about 3 hp and lost about 2 ft lbs, the magniflow system lost 5-10 hp before 4000 RPM and gained about 1-3 hp from 4500 to 5800. also the magniflow lost 3-18 ft lbs across the hole power band. The TRD system is desighned to work with the TRD supercharger. The sound was louder with the magniflow system but i didn't really like either of them, they got a little tinny at high RPM. most people think that a bigger pipe will make more power but it doesn't always, the cats do not hurt performance on the TC in fact they help build a little back pressure to build more low end TQ the same goes with the stock pipe. thats why the magniflow system lost all the TQ it is too large for the car. i have tested mnay aftermarket parts for these cars and mite be able to answer other questions
So your company used the same exact muffler and cat back that we designed at Precisionmuffler.com??? Well, than that would be a surprise to me!!! I don't remember selling the system I designed to you. So the magnaflow muffler I used loses power? any dyno on the exact magna flow muffler I used??

Old 09-08-2004, 10:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So Stylis what is the estimated HP gain for the MagnaFlow Cat? and the Axle? From what I've been hearing the Axle back is around the same for the TRD.

Most likely I'll be buying the catback from you. Any other pics of TCs w/ MagnaFlow? Please POST!!
Old 09-08-2004, 02:31 PM
2JZ
5 Year Member
SL Member

The Precision muffler looks very nice. any chance you might be able to sell ones with different style tips like UUC Motorwerks does for their exhaust for the 330Ci?

Also, everyone has to remember that rx191 is right... catbacks do NOT always make more power. If you plan on going forced induction at some point, then it might make ssense to get a fat pipe throughout... over than that wait until dyno numbers come out to make sure of the power gains/losses.

Case in point, the HKS Dragger and Dragger2 axleback exhausts made more power than ANY catback that was made for the IS300 for NA purposes. Only situation where people really saw gains for catback was when they turboed their cars.
Old 09-08-2004, 03:56 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just a note , not to put a damper on cat-back systems but with the new LEV spec's you have to be careful if they are not cert. to fed spec.

Section 203 (a)(3)(A) of the Clean Air Act prohibits removing or disabling or altering any emission control device or element of design installed in a motor vehicle designed to meet federal emissions standards. Removal or altering violates section 203 (a)(3)(A) is subject to a civil penalty of not more than $2,750 with respect to each motor vehicle.

Some of the fines for manufacture go up to $25000. per incident

I know in our state this applies to any auto that is licensed to operate on the street whether inspected or not

This usually gets noticed and inforced after you have been pulled for loud exhaust not during a state emissions inspection
Old 09-08-2004, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by mcgeorgeparts
Just a note , not to put a damper on cat-back systems but with the new LEV spec's you have to be careful if they are not cert. to fed spec.
This usually gets noticed and inforced after you have been pulled for loud exhaust not during a state emissions inspection
one of the reasons that the cat back we designed is deemed off road use only. But the sound coming from our system is not loud though. So cops wouldn't know what you really had anyway. :D

Old 09-08-2004, 04:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Stylis
Alot of cars can have a cat back and pass smog, but this car has two cats and the cat back I designed removed the secondary cat. So not all cat backs are legal. Hope I answered all your questions, I went through all of this when the xA/xB axle backs came out.
thanks for the info. i plan on keeping my car street legal so i guess a catback is out of the question for now.
Old 09-08-2004, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by jlaznlover
thanks for the info. i plan on keeping my car street legal so i guess a catback is out of the question for now.
Than might I recomend the legal and perfect sounding PrecisionMuffler.com axle back tC version! :D Brought to you by the good people at PrecisionMuffler.com (a scionlife sponcer.)

Quick Reply: Which is better for a TC, Magnaflow or TRD?