10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

camp your car and get an airsoft gun, problem solved :D
Old 05-07-2008, 05:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i really don't think bird poop stains your car's paint. i remember in MPH magazine, they took this old subaru justy, and did a bunch of things to test the myths about ruining somebodies paintjobs by putting bologne, eggs, and other things on the hood of the car, and putting them under a heat lamp and even moved on to some fairly caustic chemicals, and...NOTHING. now i know scions don't have the greatest paint jobs in the world, but it should be better than a crappy little subaru justy form the 80's. But i have left droppings on my car for weeks on end, they wash off. my car has rarely been garaged, so i don't fret over every bird dropping that hits it (infact i have one on my driverside betwen the door and rear wheel wheel and another on the hood). and i think car manufacturers would recognize bird droppings as an environmental threat to cars and be able to make the paint stain resistant to the acidic bird droppings.

i mean, hell, how many cars are there sitting in dealership lots for several weeks straight, getting poo'ed on while sitting in the sun? you think they have an attendant wiping them off every day to keep them staining?
Old 05-07-2008, 06:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by draxcaliber
i really don't think bird poop stains your car's paint. i remember in MPH magazine, they took this old subaru justy, and did a bunch of things to test the myths about ruining somebodies paintjobs by putting bologne, eggs, and other things on the hood of the car, and putting them under a heat lamp and even moved on to some fairly caustic chemicals, and...NOTHING. now i know scions don't have the greatest paint jobs in the world, but it should be better than a crappy little subaru justy form the 80's. But i have left droppings on my car for weeks on end, they wash off. my car has rarely been garaged, so i don't fret over every bird dropping that hits it (infact i have one on my driverside betwen the door and rear wheel wheel and another on the hood). and i think car manufacturers would recognize bird droppings as an environmental threat to cars and be able to make the paint stain resistant to the acidic bird droppings.

i mean, hell, how many cars are there sitting in dealership lots for several weeks straight, getting poo'ed on while sitting in the sun? you think they have an attendant wiping them off every day to keep them staining?
The reason it did nothing to the the crappy Subaru from the 80's is because the paint was lead based. Todays paint jobs are water based paints because they are more environmentally friendly. I did not get stains from the bird poop but it did eat through the paint and start to cause corrosion and spider cracks to work their way down where the bird poop had set for about a month. I was out in the field for training (army).
Old 05-07-2008, 06:23 AM
SSQ
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

oh man, that really sucks. I gotta buy myself some chinese paint!
Old 05-07-2008, 06:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hmmm...the lead based paint theory makes sense if it is indeed true...i'll have to look into that sometime.
Old 05-07-2008, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by SSQ
How long did you leave the crap on there for it to stain?
It was on for almost three days. Drax, I very much value your opinion and I always look forward to reading your posts, but trust me, the hood is stained/blemished. I can get the paint looking like glass, but I can't get rid of the spot. It's about the size of a silver dollar maybe, and looks like a "cloudy" spot on the hood. I'll put up pics if ::swallows pride:: someone can explain to me how to do so!
Old 05-07-2008, 02:56 PM
SSQ
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by JamesT
Originally Posted by SSQ
How long did you leave the crap on there for it to stain?
It was on for almost three days. Drax, I very much value your opinion and I always look forward to reading your posts, but trust me, the hood is stained/blemished. I can get the paint looking like glass, but I can't get rid of the spot. It's about the size of a silver dollar maybe, and looks like a "cloudy" spot on the hood. I'll put up pics if ::swallows pride:: someone can explain to me how to do so!
did you try claying the area?
Old 05-07-2008, 03:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Bird etching does occur. It also does not occur. It depends on the contents of the birds' stomachs when they let loose. Just like how different species of bugs will differentially stain your car. Love bugs are relatively acidic compared to other bugs and they'll eat right through anything you got on your paint if left for too long.

If you can already get the paint "like glass" then chances are you've removed all the poop that you can remove. At this point, clay and cleaner wax will be the least that can do. If that doesn't work you'll need to polish the area.
Old 05-07-2008, 04:13 PM

OK, claybar tomorrow. Thanks for the reminder. I don't know how I forgot about that. I'll keep ya posted.