Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Blown head gasket?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 05:11 AM
5 Year Member

Default Blown head gasket?

So heres the story:
about a 2 weeks ago i had service and oil change done to my car under warranty. then about last week i was checking all of my fluids and i noticed that there was oil in my coolant reservoir. this freaked me out because i had thought that my head gasket had blown . so i take it back to toyota to have it looked at and they said that their tech had prob used the wrong funnel refilling the coolant because if i did have a blown head gasket i would have: 1. white smoke coming out of my exhaust, and 2. foam forming under my oil cap. thankfully i had neither of those symptoms. so they simply drained the reservoir and refilled it. sadly though i checked my coolant again today and saw that again there was oil forming inside it. so im gonna take my car over to toyota tomorrow and see whats up. so what do you guys think, broken head gasket? keep in mind that i drive relatively calm and rarely ever mash on my car, and the only mods that i have engine related are the CAI, zpi s-pipe, and magnaflow catback exhaust. do you guys think any of these can be related? neways, ill keep u guys posted on whats goin on, wish me luck.
Old 03-25-2008, 05:24 AM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

i'm actually having that same issue, and have been for the past 20K miles....

yeah... :? it's something that a friend of mine pretty much stated that if it gets really bad, he'll help fix it for me... so i'm covered there. (even though i'm pretty way out of warranty now there)

however, i dunno much right now as far as the current problem is... my only guess is that the gasket or something else is leaking somewhere, but as far as the gasket being completely blown.... i don't have the other symptoms just like you.

if you do figure out what your problem really is... let us know... cause i'm thinking you and me have the same issue.

my car still drives fine, btw... and oil level maintains pretty steady... there's just.. oil getting into the coolant somehow... and ending up in my reservoir just like you..
Old 03-25-2008, 06:17 AM
5 Year Member

ok, so ive been reading round the interweb and i came upon this article on using water wetter and how sometimes it will leave brown/orange oily substance in the coolant reservoir. any thoughts on this? for my car i had put in about 2 bottles, so im hoping that this might be the culprit, and not the head gasket, otherwise im s**t out of luck.
Old 03-25-2008, 06:29 AM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

hmm... really?
i haven't read up on that... though... i did put a bottle of water wetter in....
but the only thing is that whatever i see in the coolant.. looks to be petroleum based...

must look up stuff now.... now that there's someone else witht he same exact symptoms.. with the same scenario... i think i'll re-visit my research and find out why..... has to be some sort of incompatibility thing with water wetter and certain types of coolant.
Old 03-25-2008, 06:42 AM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

ehhh.. research results don't look too good...

looks like we're gonna have to flush out the system and refill it with some fresh coolant..
Old 03-25-2008, 06:45 AM
5 Year Member

yah, ive pretty much came to the same conclusion too. I'm so releived though that its not my head gasket, you cant even imagine

although it is gonna suck draining the coolant system...
Old 03-25-2008, 06:52 AM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

oohhhhhhhh yea..
and it's been like this for the past 20K miles for me..

i kept thinking it was my head gasket too...

guess i'm gonna have to suck it up and get it serviced... i need an oil change anyway.... man... i hope that sludge isn't too crapped up in the radiator... ughh..