10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Default bolts on wheels = broken

muteki super tuner lugs.

bought them at autobac's,

had them for about a week, felt a vibration in my steering, went to check it out at my frends hous. finds that 2 lugs/bolts broke off.

looks like imma go to autobac's and complain and have them pay for a new sent of bolts for all 4 wheels? damage 1 means damage to all 4? god dam, everyone with TC's are having bad things happen to them (2nd incident)

the lugs screwed on by hand for about 2 turns, then after that it became RELALY hard to turn. i didnt know that it means "beware, might not fit" i jus thought that it was special and hard to unscrew so people wont steal your rims.
Old 03-22-2005, 07:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I knew this would be a problem, with all of the companies out there selling locking lugs for our car without the proper seat, etc. I had the same problem when I went to purchase locking lugs. I was sent the wrong ones, that didnt include the washer that the stock lugs had. You need to buy ones that match the stock lugs PERFECTLY. Luckily for you the wrong lugs resulted in some broken bolts instead of something major like a bad accident. The lugs you need look like this

Make sure you get the washer on them, it seats the pressure properly on the rim as intended by the manufacturer.
Old 03-22-2005, 02:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Scion Evolution

where can i get something like this
Old 03-22-2005, 03:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you can only get these ones from a scion dealer, so try trdsparks.com or mcgeorges.com they usually have them the cheapest
Old 03-22-2005, 03:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Default Re: bolts on wheels = broken

Originally Posted by hahaitzskippy
muteki super tuner lugs.

bought them at autobac's,

had them for about a week, felt a vibration in my steering, went to check it out at my frends hous. finds that 2 lugs/bolts broke off.

looks like imma go to autobac's and complain and have them pay for a new sent of bolts for all 4 wheels? damage 1 means damage to all 4? god dam, everyone with TC's are having bad things happen to them (2nd incident)

the lugs screwed on by hand for about 2 turns, then after that it became RELALY hard to turn. i didnt know that it means "beware, might not fit" i jus thought that it was special and hard to unscrew so people wont steal your rims.
Wasnt a problem with the car. The problem was that the threads were not the right pitch on the lugs you got. By forcing them on you weakend the studs (it not only destroys the threads but creates a lot of internal heat when forcing them) Replace the studs and get the ones listed in the above posts. They are good locks and fit the vehicle properly. The manufacturer of the locks will most likely not replace them if they know that they did not fit and you forced them on anyway. Sorry it happened to you!
Old 03-22-2005, 03:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by jrv2000
I knew this would be a problem, with all of the companies out there selling locking lugs for our car without the proper seat, etc. I had the same problem when I went to purchase locking lugs. I was sent the wrong ones, that didnt include the washer that the stock lugs had. You need to buy ones that match the stock lugs PERFECTLY. Luckily for you the wrong lugs resulted in some broken bolts instead of something major like a bad accident. The lugs you need look like this

Make sure you get the washer on them, it seats the pressure properly on the rim as intended by the manufacturer.
The worse part is that I have found that most of the locking lugs out there are CCCRRRRAAAAPPPP! Soft and easy to destroy. I have had good luck with McGaurd, which I heard produces the ones that Scion sells for the tC. Anyone know if this is true?
Old 03-22-2005, 06:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The McGaurds will stop a thief with a lug wrench, but if somebody really wants your wheels they can get them off. Apparently those "Gator Grip" sockets work pretty well.

Old 03-22-2005, 06:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by JasonH
The McGaurds will stop a thief with a lug wrench, but if somebody really wants your wheels they can get them off. Apparently those "Gator Grip" sockets work pretty well.

That is why I used this style lug nut and lock:
Old 03-22-2005, 07:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^ that is what came with my car... those damn allens.. REPLACE THEM.. they broke on my car, it stripped and it just tore to shreds, and i still had to pull it offf and it scratched the lug nut hole... they suck.. i went and got the gorillas.. now those are nice.. my second set, i had them on my old car and sold the car
Old 03-22-2005, 07:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

aren't all wheels locks round?
Old 03-22-2005, 08:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by MaxxxSpeed
Well, those aren't made for security at all. Anybody with that splined tool can remove your wheels. So anybody that bought a set of lugs like yours could steal them. The McGard lugs are all keyed differently, so there is no one "master key" (unless the Gator Grip really does work on all of them.)
Old 03-22-2005, 08:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

no those locks do have a different spline key for each set. There are like 10 different variations I believe, and I have regular hollow hex lugs for my others. Plus there arent many options when you need a tuner size lug. Sure there are more options if you have stock rims. I have had real bad experience with regular spline drive tuner locks, the hollow centered ones are much better.
Old 03-22-2005, 09:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by MaxxxSpeed
Originally Posted by JasonH

Those take the right size square bar and a pipe wrench to remove. Anything flat actually that is the right size. I also tried to take of my old mcGauards using one of those sockets... did not work. The outside is round. Now a good hardened socket hammered onto it will do the trick. But there is not one pair of wheel locks I cant get off with a few tools. The point is to not make it easy, so they go for another car.
Old 03-22-2005, 10:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I bought the scion wheel locks but lost the key. Since i had to take off my wheel immediately, my dad took a bigger socket and hammered it into the lock and unscrewed it in less than a minute.

If they really wanted to steal your wheel that bad, all they'd have to do is spend a few bucks on sockets that can't be used anymore.
Old 03-23-2005, 12:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Scion Evolution

well its ok now

the problem was they gave me the wrong size. the nuts were to small and wasnt complete fastened. and since they werent completely fastened, the vibration from drive caused it to break.

now autobacs is replace all the lug nuts and all the studs.

so if any of you ever wanna buy parts from autobac's you shoud. :D
Old 03-23-2005, 05:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by engifineer

The worse part is that I have found that most of the locking lugs out there are CCCRRRRAAAAPPPP! Soft and easy to destroy. I have had good luck with McGaurd, which I heard produces the ones that Scion sells for the tC. Anyone know if this is true?
Yes, it is true that the scion locks are made by McGard. Unfortunatly, you cant bypass scion and order them through McGard directly. I tried that, but unfortunatly it is only available through scion. I have come to the same conclusion about a bunch of the locks out there, they are cheaply made. Stick to well known and trusted companies, ones that car manufacturers trust to supply their wheel locks.
Old 03-23-2005, 06:12 AM
5 Year Member

Set of Gorilla mag seat lugs for toyotas will run you about 20 dollars at discount tire. Put them on my tC the day after I got it.
You are looking for a 12x1.5 sized lugnut.
Old 03-23-2005, 02:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by burn6010
Set of Gorilla mag seat lugs for toyotas will run you about 20 dollars at discount tire. Put them on my tC the day after I got it.
You are looking for a 12x1.5 sized lugnut.
thanks! I was gonna go with the scion oem from mcgeorge/trdsparks, but this looks like a better (less expensive deal).
Old 03-23-2005, 02:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

well crap, since I can't find them on dicount tires site, and there aren't any D/t stores near me, never mind.
Old 03-23-2005, 03:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

In my past experiences, any locks under 20 bucks are junk ( as well as ANY part sold by autozone, so dont buy them there either!). I had two different sets in the past that were around 20 bucks and did not last more than taking the wheel off twice. The first ones tore up while putting them on the first time! And I had not even torqued them down yet. They are made out of super soft metal, and the indention for the key would start tearing up right away. It caused the key not to fit, so I had to hammer a 12 point socket over it to get it off. I finally started buying nothing but McGaurd. The last set of them I got (before the tC) cost about $40, but are practically indestructable! Used them for 3 years on a mustang with no issues. The engine started falling apart first..... its a ford or course!! Anyway, IMO McGauard makes a very good quality product, and an extra 20 -30 bucks is worth knowing that you can take your wheel off when needed, or that the lug wont break!

Quick Reply: bolts on wheels = broken