2005-2010 [ANT10]

Brake light on after certain rpm's

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 02:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Brake light on after certain rpm's

Don't know why, but when I accelerate from 2k-3k rpm's the brake light comes on and goes off. I searched through pages of nonsense and didn't find anything. I just had my brakes checked about 2500 miles ago and my ebrake seems to be engaging just fine?
Old 07-24-2007, 02:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I heard this can be a couple things...

Check your brake fluid level. If it's a little low and swishing around, I think that can turn the light on.

Also make sure your eBrake handle isn't rising up at all during acceleration. This is a rare one, but you never know.
Old 07-24-2007, 02:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ack154
I heard this can be a couple things...

Check your brake fluid level. If it's a little low and swishing around, I think that can turn the light on.

Also make sure your eBrake handle isn't rising up at all during acceleration. This is a rare one, but you never know.
the fluid is a possibility. However, I held that sum_____ down while accelerating so I know it's not popping up. I'll check the fluid before I leave work.
Old 07-24-2007, 04:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Maybe whoever you had check your brakes didn't actually do it, even if they say they did. Maybe try checking them yourself?
Old 07-24-2007, 04:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

sounds like a fluid issue to me assuming your brakes are in good shape.
Old 07-24-2007, 05:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It's not a fluid issue, you need new brake pads. I don't know why this doesn't show up when you type it in a search but this is honestly about the 35th thread on the same exact topic. Everyone argues that it's the fluid, they scream and shout that they know what they are talking about and try to cause a fight. But Upon adding fluid the light still comes on. However once the pads are changed, tada, problem solved.

Hope that helps. And i wish the search feature worked a little better on this site because i'm dead serious when i say there are about 20 some threads already with the same exact topic and i can't find them right now either.
Old 07-24-2007, 05:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Strictly Scionized
SL Member

Originally Posted by tCizzler
It's not a fluid issue, you need new brake pads. I don't know why this doesn't show up when you type it in a search but this is honestly about the 35th thread on the same exact topic. Everyone argues that it's the fluid, they scream and shout that they know what they are talking about and try to cause a fight. But Upon adding fluid the light still comes on. However once the pads are changed, tada, problem solved.

Hope that helps. And i wish the search feature worked a little better on this site because i'm dead serious when i say there are about 20 some threads already with the same exact topic and i can't find them right now either.

I beg to differ, many years ago, on the OEM pads my brake light decides to come on, I CHECKED the pads and there is 50% pad life left I added some fluid to get rid of the light and it did for the next how ever long until the changed the pads.

SO it is both the pads and low on fluid. BUT the reason why the light comes on is because of the pads wearing down. BUT I did get rid of it by adding more fluid, til it is time to change the pads out.
Old 07-24-2007, 06:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Alright, so I'll dip my pads in fluid then install them.

sounds good

lock thread
Old 07-24-2007, 06:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TC-N-Philly

And tCizzler, no one is guaranteeing that it's his fluid. It's just something to check and one of the easiest things to look for. And if also on the list of things to check are his brake pads, then that's another thing on the list to check.
Old 07-24-2007, 07:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ack154
Originally Posted by TC-N-Philly

And tCizzler, no one is guaranteeing that it's his fluid. It's just something to check and one of the easiest things to look for. And if also on the list of things to check are his brake pads, then that's another thing on the list to check.
I know that no one is here. But others have in the other versions of this thread. And to trialsindude.. I'm assuming that was a one time deal? or did you have to add fluid any other times?

I didn't mean to come off saying the ONLY POSSIBLE thing it could be is the pads, but 9 times out of 10 it is the pads. These are new vehicled and shouldn't be leaking fluid.

And to give a little heads up on the whole thing... If your pads are worn, your fluid WILL be low unless it was overfilled at one point or you added some after the pads wore down a little. So basically, if your fluid is low, don't just add some more and call it a day, check your pads first. And compare them to new ones. Last time i checked my pads i thought they were more than 50% pad left until i saw what a new set looked like next to the old ones, and then i realized how bad they really were.
Old 07-24-2007, 07:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tCizzler
If your pads are worn, your fluid WILL be low unless it was overfilled at one point or you added some after the pads wore down a little.
That is probably the best way to explain it. The calipers will be compressed more so there will be more fluid in the line/caliper - leaving less fluid in the reservoir.

So it's a good idea to check both to be absolutely sure.
Old 07-24-2007, 08:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

yup your pada are low or are geting low i had this same problem and changed my pads and it went away its your pads...
Old 08-10-2007, 04:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

taking it in today. This vehicle isn't new BTW. It's an 05' with over 75K on it
Old 08-12-2007, 05:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

My vote would go to pads as well. During my 45k mile checkup this past week at the dealership I found out my pads are really thin. It's been something like three or four days and my light's started to come at random intervals. They just checked the fluids so I'm not too concerned there - I'm getting the pads replaced in the next couple of days so we'll find out for sure!
Old 08-16-2007, 01:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Just a confirmation for all of you waiting with baited breath - swapping the pads out definitely fixed my brake-light issue. To be fair, odds are the fluid was low b/c the pads were low, but hey, I'm attributing the fix to the pads.

Oh, and I must give "mad props" to Midas for pulling my shims off my brakes and then not putting them back on when I declined their proposed cost and drove away... jackasses.
Old 08-16-2007, 01:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Talking about new cars not leaking... My brake light was coming on at around 3 weeks 800miles after I bought the car (brand new). Took it in 3 times, they were jerking me OF* every single time, saying that my brake fluid was disapearing because I was riding the clutch Well, I called 1800 scion and they got scared, they finaly opened her up and what do you know, my master clutch cylinder was leaking, the damn thing needed to be replaced, at 800 miles!
Old 08-16-2007, 02:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Menace
saying that my brake fluid was disapearing because I was riding the clutch
Just... wow.
Old 08-16-2007, 03:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Answer to my original post: It was both the pads and the fluid. Like everyone said, when the pads are low, the brakes require more fluid. Had it fixed. The end
Old 01-18-2008, 09:35 PM

After reading this entire thread it looks like this is a problem that has occurred for those of you with 45K miles and up. So I guess my question is considering that I only have 23K miles on my '06 tC and this is something that just started occurring, could it really be the brake pads? Might it have something to do with my driving? And is it normal for it to be occurring so soon? Well thats more than one question, but hope you guys can help.
Old 11-21-2008, 12:58 AM

Im at about 12k miles & this just started happening to me aswell...

Quick Reply: Brake light on after certain rpm's