2005-2010 [ANT10]

brake makes a crackaling noise when pressed

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 06:58 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default brake makes a crackaling noise when pressed

hey guys,

I recently changed my brakes(dealership installed) yes i know, but everything was going fine till i started hearing/feeling this cracking noise whenever i apply pressure to the brake pedal. it sorta feels like the brakes are contracting too quickly or they're on too tight. Before i goto the dealership and complain has anyone in here ever experienced this problem before?

thanks
Old 10-24-2007, 07:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

Hmm, new one to me. Keep us posted please.
Old 10-24-2007, 02:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Evolution

First thing, if you feel really uncomfortable about the noise you should really have it checked asap. I cannot stress enough how important having working brakes are.

How old is your car? And what type of brake pads did you get? Either the rotors need to be machined/re-surfaced--or replaced; or, the pads are too new and still 'breaking-in'.

Anyhow you should consult your mechanic. keep us posted and drive safely!
Old 10-24-2007, 02:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hmm interesting...does the brake pedal feel low or spongy? Do the brakes work fine but just make that noise???
Old 10-25-2007, 12:01 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

no the brakes are brand new, its possible for them to be "breaking-in", the brakes work fine and i can stop on a dime, but its just a weird cracking noise, only happens when the car is in motion.
Old 10-25-2007, 07:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

This crackling noise only happens when the car is in motion? Are you pressing on the brake pedal at all when this noise occurs? If not, then it might not be your brakes at all.

Brakes can make funny noises when you first put them on and as stated already, this could be part of the "breaking in" period. But be careful and don't become complacent - that will only cause more problems.

In all honesty, what I do when the brakes are changed is I ride them gently at first just to know that they are there, and then I jump on them real good just to warm them up (in a parking lot or some where safe, of course). I know this isn't always the best policy because it can cause the brakes the crack, wear and many other problems, but it's really the only way I feel comfortable with the brakes - letting me know that they can stand some stress if very reassuring.

In any case, like jurassic said, if you feel uncomfortable you should get them looked at.
Old 10-28-2007, 02:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have almost the same problem.. i have cracking noise from the rear when i press the break.. my brakepads are old.. at least 1 year old..... lol.. a toyota technican said its normal.. just the brakepad moving in its housing.. LOL.. i cant believe its true...
Old 10-30-2007, 06:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

a brakepad moving in the housing would usually create a clanking more than a cracking. Also, those pads are pretty tight in the housing and should not be moving much.

You could have some cracked pads or some warped routers that might be causing the problems.
Just a guess.
Old 10-30-2007, 05:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have the same problem sypphone. no need to worry. i changed mine myself and ull hear the cracking sound usually when backing up. but when ur driving on the freeway or on the streets it wont make any noise. my mechanic said the same thing. if u still hear it crack after like 3 months take it back so they can check it out.