Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Broken Sunroof!! Help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2004, 07:20 PM
5 Year Member

Default Broken Sunroof!! Help!!!!

On the Freeway today, a rock decided to shatter my sunroof! The sunroof was in the back position and a rock hit it hard. Almost the entire piece shattered and is inside the car. Insurance, dealers, glass companies not only dont have the piece, the glass companies dont even know how to replace it. What do I do?
Old 10-07-2004, 07:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Insurance should cover it under your comprehensive portion of your policy. Call them, have them take the car and give you a rental.

That's pretty crazy. Where did the rock come from? If it was from a commercial vehicle you should have gotten the plate number.
Old 10-07-2004, 07:28 PM
Banned
SL Member

that sucks.....My 230 benz did that once, and benz replaced it the same day, may if they are The same, a benz dealer????
Old 10-07-2004, 08:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Broken Sunroof!! Help!!!!

Originally Posted by DiscountTireDirect
On the Freeway today, a rock decided to shatter my sunroof! The sunroof was in the back position and a rock hit it hard. Almost the entire piece shattered and is inside the car. Insurance, dealers, glass companies not only dont have the piece, the glass companies dont even know how to replace it. What do I do?
Bad luck for sure. Guy drove into my parked tC on Monday and I am waiting for an inner tie rod which is currently not in US inventory. Hopefully you can get glass replacement. Also hope you have a garage that you can store until fixed.

Good luck.

Kevin
Old 10-07-2004, 09:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Check with local dealers. They will be the only ones able to order the glass.
Compare prices between them and make a call to your auto insurance, probably will be comprehensive coverage.

Good luck and would you mind updating all of us of the cost range you faced. I think it would be the best for all of us to know.
Old 10-07-2004, 09:31 PM
Banned
SL Member

If its just like the benz.....call the benz service dept....it was in stock
Old 10-07-2004, 10:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

DiscountTire: do you have a tC or an aftermarket sunroof in an XB? I'm just not sure cuz u have an XB as your icon. Also, did any of the pieces from the sunroof cut you? That seems pretty scary.
Old 10-07-2004, 10:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

[Self-edited my contribution to the latest Cybergypsy/tC flamewar]

Originally Posted by RussianTC
Also, did any of the pieces from the sunroof cut you? That seems pretty scary.
The sunroof is tempered glass, so it's designed to shatter into small pebble-like fragments so that it doesn't cut anyone (badly, at least).
Old 10-07-2004, 10:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wow, quick with the delete, Mr. Mod.

Hey, did your dealer have another tC on the lot that the tech guys could try to switch the roof with? It was just the open part, right? Not the whole roof?
Old 10-07-2004, 10:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

As for my last post in this topic. Im sorry DiscountTireDirect to hear about what went down. As for getting it fixed, if they have long waiting lists just to get the car, I could just picture how long the list will be to get a part for it. Hope you get it fixed soon.

Originally Posted by Cybergypsy
Thanks Boy's chucksu this is your last weekend.........
Yes it is , but I shall be back & maybe with a scion
Old 10-07-2004, 10:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by chucksu
Originally Posted by Mr Meaty
But Chuck, what do you mean "She is here?" I'm not following. She is there with you in your office? She is there with you in Arizona? Or she is here on this messege board?
This is why I said she is here, you asked why & I showed you.
Thanks Boy's chucksu this is your last weekend.........
Yes it is , but I shale be back & maybe with a scion
I still don't get it, and the mod deleated all that fun we were having, along with the picture. She is where and it's your last weekend as what?

Did I already say I would stop?
Old 10-07-2004, 10:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I still don't get it, and the mod deleated all that fun we were having, along with the picture. She is where and it's your last weekend as what?

Did I already say I would stop?
Just making me do it aint you

Anyways, why would someone who can aford multiple Benzes be on a Scion forum bashing kids who can only aford cars under $20k?
You Asked that section in bold. She is here (www.scionlife.com/forums) because she owns a xA If you take a look at my signature, you should be able to put 1 + 1 to figure out why its my last week . Again to the poster of the topic, sorry to hear that this went down. Let us know how long it takes to get fixed & if your find out how much it cost, post that up to. So other tC ppl will have a idea if something like this happens to them.
Old 10-07-2004, 10:28 PM
Banned
SL Member

Chucksu, you deserve a Xa more then anyone i know

Mr meaty do a search, i see you are new....but this is crazy!
Old 10-07-2004, 10:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Got it, Chucky! Good luck in boot camp. Make sure you buy a house with that dolar down the military gives you. I think the housing market in AZ is about to blow up like it did here in Vegas.
Old 10-07-2004, 10:30 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by RussianTC
DiscountTire: do you have a tC or an aftermarket sunroof in an XB? I'm just not sure cuz u have an XB as your icon. Also, did any of the pieces from the sunroof cut you? That seems pretty scary.
I have a tC and xB. The tc is stock sunroof, and the xB is a 54" Webasto. The tC is the one that broke and yes...glass is EEVRYWHERE!!! highway speeds it was all over the car. It actually happened to my Girlfriend. Glad she had her glasses on. I wish I knew someone who had one ready to go
Old 10-07-2004, 10:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Oh. So you weren't drivning? Is your girl covered under your insurance? Check to see if any dealers have one on the lot. Cyber says they're all over Florida.
Old 10-07-2004, 10:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Chuckso, good luck in bootcamp yo, id ********** like 10 times a day, just to make up for the month.....haha

good luck..
Old 10-07-2004, 10:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

A reputable dealer would not take a part off a new car to put on another. Floormats or something, OK but never anything substantial such as a sunroof. Do you realize the crap it would cause on the car the part was removed from? What if it doesn't get all replaced, what if something happens later and you find out your car had been parted out to help someone else? People get twisted up over a few extra miles on their car, imagine the liability possibilities... Like when your at a Scion meet and you mention your sunroof repair story and then figure out that the person who bought the cannibalized one was standing right there...
Old 10-07-2004, 11:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ScionicMan:
Good point. I agree. But there must be something the dealers can do.

Mr meaty do a search, i see you are new....but this is crazy!
I'm sorry, I missed this one. What am I searching for?
Old 10-08-2004, 12:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Its taken the dealers here in AZ 6-7 weeks to get small clips and panels to attempt to fix my car (been since the beginning of July now since they've been trying, without any success to fix it). Everytime I take it in (I've lost count the number of times now) its always sorry, can't fix it, wait weeks more for parts, take it back in, no fix, wait longer and repeat.

I wouldn't be surprised if you had a sunroofless TC for a few weeks.

Quick Reply: Broken Sunroof!! Help!!!!