Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

bummed out about stick shift

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2005, 06:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yes.. really just remember to let off the clutch gradually, don't just drop it, and you'll eventually learn where the "catch point" is. i had to learn on an '87 BMW 325 ES.. that thing was hard as hell too.. had to stomp on the friggin' clutch to get it down.
Old 01-28-2005, 12:54 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by lilman4210
This thread is pretty much pointless. You shouldnt have bought a stick if you dont know how to drive one.
Why? I didn't know how to drive stick when I bought my car three years ago. I couldn't test drive it even, the salesguy drove it for me. Then when I came to pick it up, another salesguy spent an hour with me teaching me the basics. I had a lot of trouble with it at first, but it's one of the best ways to learn. Learn it, or you can't go anywhere. hehe. I hated it at first (nicknamed my car Satan), but now I wouldn't ever consider buying an automatic again.

The funniest thing about learning was the people around me and how they reacted to me. I got caught at a four way interesection, on a slope, trying to turn left, at a broken stop light. I stalled no less than 15 times because I was getting so nervous, and I stopped traffic for a few minutes while I lurched my way onto the highway ramp. As this was happening, every woman who drove around me yelled, honked, one even flipped me off. But all of the men who drove by just sort of laughed, or waved and gave a thumbs up, one rolled down his window to offer advice. It was pretty interesting.
Old 01-28-2005, 01:44 PM
5 Year Member

Default manual

I do not understand any oif this. It took me, maybe, a half hour to learn to drive a stick and I never looked back. Now you are on some internet post looking for encouragement? Go practice instead. If my Mommy had bought me a Tc when i turned 16, _____in' would be the last thing I'd be doing.
Old 01-28-2005, 02:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It always makes me laugh when I see someone in a piece of rice at a stop light on an incline:

Rev Up - Go Forward - Clutch - Rollback - Repeat Until Damn Light Turns Green.

Come on people that's what the brake is for. Maybe they feel like they're getting ready to race. (Gee what's that burning smell? Oh sh**, it's the clutch! )
Old 01-28-2005, 02:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: manual

Originally Posted by klimtone
I do not understand any oif this. It took me, maybe, a half hour to learn to drive a stick and I never looked back. Now you are on some internet post looking for encouragement? Go practice instead. If my Mommy had bought me a Tc when i turned 16, _____in' would be the last thing I'd be doing.
tru dat, im bustin my ***** to affford my damn tC.
Old 01-28-2005, 02:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thats crazy and here I am regretting not getting a manual, still wish I would have..damnnittt..
Old 01-28-2005, 10:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

STick Ownz
Old 01-29-2005, 01:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

keep practicing after a week or 2 you wont even have to think about driving manual it just wil come natural. I learned how to drive stick on the tc its easy. Now i feel weird when i drive an automatic, by accidnet i go to hit hte break with my left food cause im so used to uisng it
Old 01-29-2005, 04:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you use your left foot to hit the brake? wierd...
Old 01-29-2005, 11:05 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I think he (she??) meant that after you get used to using a clutch and you drive an automatic, you try to shift and end up hitting the brake with your left foot. I do that all the time. That, or I'll stomp my left foot on the floor looking for the clutch when I start the car.
Old 01-29-2005, 07:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by WarrenSteve
real men drive sticks? no male btwn ages of 16-30 shouldd rive an auto?

come on, no need to insult. I drive an AT, and i know how to drive a MT. and i have, and yeah it is fun... but its not for everyone. I mean this is my daily driver, this car isnt a damn porche or vette. I like to eat, and talk on the phone, and just blare music while i drive.

if i had a weekend car, i would certaintly have a MT, but for me, for my daily 100miles of commuting, id rather roll in the AT. PERSONAL PREFERENCE!
I agree man. My daily driver xA is auto. But my baby coming in March (the tC) is manual. I prefer auto during long drives to work. Now for fun, its all about the manual
Old 01-31-2005, 12:32 PM
5 Year Member

Default manual

you know, i really feel like one is not connected to one's car with an automatic. I know I am in the minority because at times it is pretty difficult to find a manual in the car I like. But, choosing the gear when I want it, as opposed to waiting for this automatic thing to do it for me is alien to my mind. I drive two hours every day, back and forth to work, and would NEVER even consider an automatic. Besides, look at how the thing looks. This fake stick with "P" and "D" and "R" and "1" and "2" that no one ever uses. The look of the thing offends me. A pretend stick.
Old 02-01-2005, 12:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I wish all I had to _____ about is getting an AT instead of a MT. Then again, I have to buy my own cars. :D
Old 02-01-2005, 12:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

...the only way I'd ever buy an AT, is if I was buying something like Dodge Ram Turbo Diesel 3500. Other than towing, it's pointless.
Old 02-01-2005, 12:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by Rusker
...the only way I'd ever buy an AT, is if I was buying something like Dodge Ram Turbo Diesel 3500. Other than towing, it's pointless.
drive me to work one morning and you'll get the point of the auto... In fact, you'll feel the point pressing into the bottom of your left foot...
Old 02-01-2005, 03:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

wow, can't believe i completely missed this thread. when if irst got my tc, i was completely afraid of driving it. i would completely stay away from it and would rather take my parents cars out. it takes a bit to get used to and used you can actually drive well, it's a blast. i'll never go back to auto. just keep at it and i'm sure everything will be fine.
Old 02-17-2005, 10:10 PM
5 Year Member

funny story...

i did over 10g's worth of damage to two cars on our lot by hitting the brake with my left foot...

well, i tried to hit the brake anyway....
Old 02-17-2005, 11:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

First gear is the hardest..........the rest, cake! Just pratice on your first gear roll out. Watch your tach, press gently on the gas until it reaches about 2 grand, then gently lift the clutch pedal about a half inch off the floor. When she starts to roll, slowly let it out all the way. This works even on hills. On hills stay calm. Panic causes stalls. Loose the e-brake method, or you will never master the technique of proper gear shifting.
You'll be shifting like a pro in no time.
Old 02-17-2005, 11:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

i didnt know how to drive stick when i got my tC....thats exactly why i put 1,000 miles on it in 2 weeks when my job and school are less than 20 minutes away from my house. dont _____ about it....you have to drive a stick so go out and practice. practice as much as you have to untill you dont break down into a sweat everytime your stopped on a hill and some clown in an AT is all up on your bumper. personally i enjoy the control a manual offers....if u dont like it, get over it cuz its ur car...and u gotta drive it...

-solotC

actually, if u want...you can trade it with me for my '89 AT maxima... i'd think you were a fool...but if u reaaaalllyyyyy want a AT...lol
Old 02-17-2005, 11:12 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I was 18 when i bought my 2000 s10, bought it in a stick to force myself to learn, took me 2 weeks, I was set, I've had 3 cars since, every one of them stick - not so I can be super cool "racer guy" I really just enjoy driving a stick (even amoungst the so. cal traffic) I guess I just feel like I have more control over the car...

Quick Reply: bummed out about stick shift