Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Can you give me a rundown on the Scion Security system?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2004, 08:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Can you give me a rundown on the Scion Security system?

What are the features of it, and is it worth the money? What kind of security device comes standard (I believe the key has a rolling key code chip or something)

Any other alternatives that you would suggest? I currently use the Autolock, which goes into the brake pedal (or clutch if you drive manual). Anyone knows if the Autolock works for the tC??

Old 07-14-2004, 09:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would recommend the Autolock over The Club. I don't see any reason that it wouldn't work on the tC. Actually, I've seen pictures of a tC with an Autolock, so it definitely works.
Old 07-14-2004, 09:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What's the point of the autolock on the tC? If it comes with imobilizer no one can start it anyway. I want to get a security system so no one brakes into the car to steal the stereo or whatever i have inside. I'm not worried about them starting the car. The only thing I can think of is that the autolock works as a deterant. The theif doesn't know you have an imobilizer until after he brakes in. Just my 2 cents.
Old 07-14-2004, 09:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
N.G.S.O.

Good thief should know stuff about cars, so they would not break in because they know that tCs have immobilizers.
Old 07-14-2004, 10:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you can still kiss your stereo goodbye.
Old 07-14-2004, 10:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Get a 2-Way Paging alarm, and a Bat
Old 07-14-2004, 10:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

any phiscally expose machinacal lock/device will actually attract thieves.

scion security is nothing more than an alarm, it will horn when someone break the glass, try to short wire the key hole and start the car, or try to open the door without a key. it's a seperate system of the engine immobolizer. the alarm can be set active or passive, and in passive mode, it DOES NOT lock the doors for you when the alarm arm itself. in active mode, you get to lock the car to set the alarm anyway.

the alarm is somewhat 1990s to me, so go aftermarket if you can. i just can't find a bestbuy and circuit city to get the alarm install for me since tC is so new and they don;t have the wiring diagram, they don't want to take the chance. i don't trust small shop and fry's, so i just go for the scion alarm. it's not a very good system.
Old 07-14-2004, 10:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Bottom line is that if someone wants to steal your car, they will.
I have seen demo where people crack those autolock pedal lockouts and "clubs".
And NO ONE pays attention any more when an alarm goes off.

Lets face it, at tC sticker prices you guys really think they are going to be a hot theft item? or are you guys just paranoid?

A wise man once said "Locks only keep honest people honest"

However, you could get one of those car jacker systems, that shoots out 40,000 volts... no one would mess with your car then.
Old 07-14-2004, 10:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CU_rob
Bottom line is that if someone wants to steal your car, they will.
I have seen demo where people crack those autolock pedal lockouts and "clubs".
And NO ONE pays attention any more when an alarm goes off.

Lets face it, at tC sticker prices you guys really think they are going to be a hot theft item? or are you guys just paranoid?

A wise man once said "Locks only keep honest people honest"

However, you could get one of those car jacker systems, that shoots out 40,000 volts... no one would mess with your car then.
i want one, where to get it?
Old 07-14-2004, 10:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default steal

i still don't get it. is it possible to steal a tC even though it has the engine immobilzer? without towing it? i'm not clear on this. if so how can it be stolen?
Old 07-14-2004, 11:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by haihengh
i want one, where to get it?
well see that is the problem... due to the wonderful sue-happy people of america, you probably won't be able to get one. So it is off to making your own.

The concept is that it works just like the zappers cops use. Super high voltage (40K) but at a very very small current (amps) so that it doesn't kill you, only causes your muscles to contract. (to learn more check out www.howstuffworks.com)

I can think of no better engineer to ask here on Scionlife on how to make one than the infamous "George"... so you up to the task George?

In Reality, no one is going to be able to market these things because of product liability, and no engineer (with ethics) will post plans on line for some punk teenager, with no concept of what an electron is, to fry his car, bystanders, or himself.
People are inevitably stupid when it comes to electricity.
Old 07-15-2004, 01:29 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Where I live ain't great, but it's not the ghetto either, and I grew up with and know of a lot of "bangers" (and they know who I am) that I have seen when I've had the lil bass pumping in the stock Pioneer CD player, and the only option I got was the Security System. Now, after reading this, it sounds like I should've gone Cliffords, but what's done is done, and I hope it serves its purpose.
Old 07-15-2004, 03:49 AM
5 Year Member

I'm somewhat disappointed with the upgraded security. There is no audio response on the alarm to let you know if you armed it or not. The lights flash on and that is it. No horn, no chirp, no voice, no nothing. Very disappointing for 480 bucks. Basically... it is a light, 1 sticker on each window, and a mic that detects noise and sounds an alarm. It basically is there to deter thieves from breaking into the car.

The engine immobilizer will make this car very safe from car thieves. This car would have to be towed in order to be stolen. And even then, that is a huge pain for car thieves... all for a 17k car? I doubt it.
Old 07-15-2004, 03:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by erc21
Where I live ain't great, but it's not the ghetto either, and I grew up with and know of a lot of "bangers" (and they know who I am) that I have seen when I've had the lil bass pumping in the stock Pioneer CD player, and the only option I got was the Security System. Now, after reading this, it sounds like I should've gone Cliffords, but what's done is done, and I hope it serves its purpose.
you should be fine, unless you blass really sick bass when you are driving and driving like an ___ hole. stock cd player aren't going to "shock" anyone around, so guess that's not offence to most people.
Old 07-15-2004, 05:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Like someone said before If a Thief wants your car they'll get it. I suppose the ole remove the steering wheel and screw in your own trick (to defeat the club) won't work in the tC but there's always freon in the lock trick. I'm sure there's some way to defeat the immobilizer too. For now at least there aren't enough tC's on the road for thieves to be targetting it for parts and the sticker price is probably too low for a steal and ship.

I suppose if you're paranoid you can go for the cumulative effect and get a security system and a autolock club device. Myself personally I'll probably get the scion security system, becuase I don't have a garage and there's always some punk who thinks your car is a good place to sit while he Macks on some chickenhead...
Old 07-15-2004, 06:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by sTalking_Goat
there's always some punk who thinks your car is a good place to sit while he Macks on some chickenhead...
lol

Well, I probably skip the scion alarm altogether and wait for a better aftermarket system, or just LOJACK. the Autolock seems sufficient, and hopefully, this car won't be too "Hot" in demand, like some other cars are in this price class
Old 07-15-2004, 06:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

statistically you are more likely to have your car broken into and stuff stolen. . . I'm less concerned about the vehicle itself being stolen, as the OEM alarm will suffice. Best idea for security is to not have an aftermarket deck or a lot of audio/video equipment. Also limit the amound of "flash" your car has, if you really wanna avoid theft. And no, detachable faceplates do not deter thieves (I know some) because they know 90% of the time you are too lazy to take it with you.
Old 07-15-2004, 12:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by djct_watt
statistically you are more likely to have your car broken into and stuff stolen. . . I'm less concerned about the vehicle itself being stolen, as the OEM alarm will suffice. Best idea for security is to not have an aftermarket deck or a lot of audio/video equipment. Also limit the amound of "flash" your car has, if you really wanna avoid theft. And no, detachable faceplates do not deter thieves (I know some) because they know 90% of the time you are too lazy to take it with you.
exactly what I was saying, though I think you are still entitiled to aftermarket stereo, just go with the sleeper approach.

I have a kenwood with a mask face, not a lot of flash to draw peoples eyes. That's why the cover on the tC radio is great, though my kenwood won't fit behind it. Keep your amps out of eyesight, your subs covered, and don't decal your car. Flashy installs are great for show, but I'd prefer to just go for SQ, and not have my ____ stolen.