Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Car Turn's Off When Brake is Applied!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 04:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sounds like the aftermarket shop that installed your stereo nipped or scraped some wiring in the process . . .then later is/are grounding out against each other or the sheet metal. sorry to say . . Toyota wouldn't touch this with a ten foot pole as they then would be liable for anything that could occur like somebody crashing into you on the highway.

Keep us posted what you find in your stereo teardown. Not only the steering column since your radio controls are in there MIXED with the ingnition . . . but under the knee boslter and down the body WH to the rear of the vehicle.

hmmmm, pics then would be interesting.
Old 01-29-2008, 04:58 PM

LOL, i really think after so much hit's and vib's from my bass just messed everything up.. lol. i am going to take picture's so that everyone can see what happens..
Old 01-29-2008, 06:22 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by KeRoLiUkAs
Wow, no offense but you're a sad person. You're just gonna let those dealerships push you around? If i had warranty, they would flippin' fix everything that would be wrong with the car, that's what warranty is. Aftermarket stereo system does not void any of it, maybe the stereo part of it..That's it, especially if you tell them you got it installed proffesionally. You sir need to stand up for yourself and tell those flippers @ the dealership to fix your damn car or you're calling corporate to report a big complaint and ask for a refund on your car(lol)...Make sure you speak to a manager..
Sorry, warranty doesn't cover doing something stupid to your care. It's not insurance against personal stupidity, no offense to the original poster. If your system messed up the car's electrical system, then I'd say that the warranty wouldn't cover a dealership having to tear all the wiring apart to diagnose a problem that was essentially self-inflicted. If it is the transmission or some other unrelated problem, then definitely the dealership should cover it under warranty. I find the logic that any dealership should fix anything wrong with the car to be flawed as it would allow everyone to go carte blanch in what they do to their car whether advised or not.

GT
Old 01-29-2008, 09:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

He said that it's been like a year since he installed the stereo..So i don't think it could be that.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:20 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Does it only happen when you press the brakes or is it any time the engine goes into the low RPM band. I had my engine randomly dying on me, not just when the brakes were on but it was more common when it was at idle. I traced the root cause back to the engine fuse panel. Apparently the EFI fuse was just a bit loose so when the car would vibrate, it would cut power to the fuel injectors and stall. I found it by starting the engine, then wiggling each fuse with the engine running. Try that, if it dies when you wiggle a fuse, it's loose. The fix is to get a paperclip or other thin object and bend the prongs holding the fuse in place out more ever so slightly for solid contact. Hope that's the case and helps.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you could try unplugging the harness to the brake pedal and then go for a drive on your street (but not on a large road because you won't have brake lights) and see if the car still stalls. If it doesn't then I would say that it is an electrical problem and if not then it would have to do with the shifting weight of the car or vibration, etc...

Hope this helps
Old 01-29-2008, 09:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if the car turns off everytime you hit the brakes....how did you put the car in gear?
Old 01-29-2008, 09:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

well, a lot can happen in 36,217 miles. we cant help you if youre telling us this magically happend.. we're not the cops or your dealership so how about you just tell us what you did to f' it up and we can tell you what to do. either that or man up and tell your dealer they better fix it, call scion corp, w.e., if you really want to get it fixed.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by SoleLaced
if the car turns off everytime you hit the brakes....how did you put the car in gear?
NICE. someone got CAUGHT! lol. i didnt even think about that.
Old 01-30-2008, 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by jasonrs2
Originally Posted by SoleLaced
NICE. someone got CAUGHT! lol. i didnt even think about that.

Well to answer everyone question, i am telling the truth.. the funnny thing is that i was leaving my house to hit up a party, and when iw as closing my gate i noticed that tail lights weren't working.. so i went into my garage to see what happen thinking it's a fuse, and i turned "off" my car, key and everything and noticed that the car stayed on, bcause i opened the hood and saw the engine vib. so. yeah .. i then unpuged the battary and touch + and - to turn off the car, and it did. and then i tried turning it back on and turning off, and the car still stayed on so i like wtf, so i press the break to put the car in Reverse and the car die, i was like WTF hahaha, so i started laughing then i got mad and hit the streering wheel lol.. ever isince then that's what it is.. and the way i put the car in gear is on the auto.. shifter there is a little button u can press to put the car in any gear lol. so i use that.
Old 01-30-2008, 01:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

there is a button on auto-shifters?
Old 01-30-2008, 01:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Higgy
there is a button on auto-shifters?
Yep, a little button up and to the left of the shift ****. It allows you to put the car into gear/neutral if you don't have the key/etc.