Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Center Console Light

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2005, 03:56 AM
5 Year Member

Default Center Console Light

I can't seem to find the post that alot of people were complaining about the light. Some people said the way to get rid of the problem was to reach behind the panel and disconnect the wires, however with a set of needle nose pliers the bulb can be easily pulled out from the front. Hope this helps some of you out!
Old 05-17-2005, 04:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Curious... Could it then be assumed you could change it out for a different less annoying darker color bulb without tearing anything apart? Thats a 194 type bulb right?
Old 05-17-2005, 05:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

In all of the pics ive seen of the tc, I was unaware of this light that you guys mention.

could you post a picture of it please?
Old 05-17-2005, 01:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

it's the cubby hole light. the bulb there is a #74 bulb. get replacements here: http://autolumination.com/74.htm

and the cubby hole is just below your a/c controls: http://memimage.cardomain.net/member.../766009_22.jpg
Old 05-17-2005, 01:21 PM
5 Year Member

Yes you can replace it with any number of colors you might be able to find, not sure of the bulb number or type however. I'll try to get a post up later, however let me explain where it is. Look right below your climate control panel, where you heater/air conditioner controls are. Below those you'll see a cubby hole which can be used for storage of keys, your wallet etc. In that storage area, with the headlights turned on, at the back is an annoying light. It only comes on when you have your headlights on. That is the light bulb in question.
Old 05-17-2005, 02:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^um, i just posted the bulb number and where you can find replacement ones. it's also been posted more than 3 dozen times on this site and it's also in my faq...

http://home.cfl.rr.com/icdedppl/faq.html
Old 05-19-2005, 05:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

your FAQ is awesome. It should be stickied somewhere on this site.
Old 05-19-2005, 05:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by icdedppl
^^um, i just posted the bulb number and where you can find replacement ones. it's also been posted more than 3 dozen times on this site and it's also in my faq...
http://home.cfl.rr.com/icdedppl/faq.html
ummm... thanks, smart guy...
Old 05-19-2005, 05:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

just ordered mine from super bright leds
http://www.superbrightleds.com/
Old 05-19-2005, 07:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The really sad part of all this is that you have this mostly useless & mostly annoying cubby-hole light, and no glove box light. What were Toyota's engineers thinking?
Old 05-19-2005, 07:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

They were thinking we like cubby holes and not gloveboxes.
Old 05-19-2005, 08:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I still have not seen what is so annoying about it. Doesnt bother me a bit. It is just a light to help you see in the cubby hole. I would like to replace it with blue to match my blue light kit and my blue gauges.. but it doesnt annoy me in any way.
Old 05-19-2005, 08:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by engifineer
I still have not seen what is so annoying about it. Doesnt bother me a bit. It is just a light to help you see in the cubby hole. I would like to replace it with blue to match my blue light kit and my blue gauges.. but it doesnt annoy me in any way.
With the vast majority of those posting on SL, you've got to realize they're generally on their first car and are looking for things to whine about. LOL
I thought the light there was unusual, but hardly annoying. It comes in handy, too.
As for the lack of a light in the glove compartment/box, the one overhead is quite enough -- and easy to reach.
Old 05-19-2005, 08:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by GerryWhite
With the vast majority of those posting on SL, you've got to realize they're generally on their first car and are looking for things to whine about. LOL
I thought the light there was unusual, but hardly annoying. It comes in handy, too.
As for the lack of a light in the glove compartment/box, the one overhead is quite enough -- and easy to reach.
I’ve owned 11 cars in my life time. The last 6 were brand new.

The cubby hole light with no off switch is stupid.

The glove box with no automatic light is stupid.

Bad engineering, plain and simple.

If you’d like whining about this car, I’ll give you some whining …

The final drive ratio is too low. It should either be 3.90, or at worst 4.11. 4.24 doesn’t cut it. 1st gear is useless unless starting on hill. On flat-land I start in 2nd.

The drive-by-wire throttle actuator is too slow. Many people experience a lag between input and response. For me, it happens on throttle release during up-shifts. The engine continues to rev 200 to 300 rpm after I lift off the throttle and depress the clutch. It should instantly fall back, not rise.

The reverse lock-out gate is miss-adjusted or just poorly designed. I have to release the gear selector or wiggle it a bit in the neutral position to get to go from 5th to 4th.

The cruise control controls should be on the steering wheel or at least on a stem that doesn’t rotate with the steering wheel. I dislike having to hunt for it.

I’d prefer that the stock stereo have a volume ****, not up/down buttons. The buttons are slow and tedious. Press, press, press, press, press or press-n-hold-hold-hold-hold….

I find the light colored head-liner and pillars to be distracting. They should be the same color as rest of the interior.
Old 05-19-2005, 09:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Boobala

The final drive ratio is too low. It should either be 3.90, or at worst 4.11. 4.24 doesn’t cut it. 1st gear is useless unless starting on hill. On flat-land I start in 2nd.

The drive-by-wire throttle actuator is too slow. Many people experience a lag between input and response. For me, it happens on throttle release during up-shifts. The engine continues to rev 200 to 300 rpm after I lift off the throttle and depress the clutch. It should instantly fall back, not rise.

The reverse lock-out gate is miss-adjusted or just poorly designed. I have to release the gear selector or wiggle it a bit in the neutral position to get to go from 5th to 4th.

The cruise control controls should be on the steering wheel or at least on a stem that doesn’t rotate with the steering wheel. I dislike having to hunt for it.

I’d prefer that the stock stereo have a volume ****, not up/down buttons. The buttons are slow and tedious. Press, press, press, press, press or press-n-hold-hold-hold-hold….

I find the light colored head-liner and pillars to be distracting. They should be the same color as rest of the interior.
you forgot the secret fresh air filter system.
Old 05-20-2005, 04:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So why the hell did you buy this car?
Old 05-20-2005, 11:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by dslrdave

Because...

The cubby hole light with no off switch.

The glove box with no automatic light.

I never saw the car at night.

I test drove it poorly. It was 95% on the highway where I didn't notice how useless 1st gear was.

I test drove it poorly. It was 95% on the highway where I didn't notice this problem. If it doesn't loosen-up and fix itself, I'll be taking back to the dealer for repair.

I test drove it poorly. It was 95% on the highway where I didn't notice how hard it was downshift from 5th to 4th, and I had not driven a stick in three years, and I though it might be me. If it doesn't loosen-up and fix itself, I'll be taking back to the dealer for repair.

I test drove it poorly. I never used the Cruise Control. I've had vehicles with the control on a stem before, and I got use to, I thought I'd get use to this one. I also didn't notice that it rotated with the wheel.

I had plans to put a different system in it.

I doubt very much that I'll keep this car more than 1 year. I just need to pay it down enough to not be "upside down" when I trade it in.
Old 05-20-2005, 01:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Because...

I test drove it poorly. It was 95% on the highway where I didn't notice how useless 1st gear was.

I test drove it poorly. It was 95% on the highway where I didn't notice this problem. If it doesn't loosen-up and fix itself, I'll be taking back to the dealer for repair.

I test drove it poorly. It was 95% on the highway where I didn't notice how hard it was downshift from 5th to 4th, and I had not driven a stick in three years, and I though it might be me. If it doesn't loosen-up and fix itself, I'll be taking back to the dealer for repair.

I test drove it poorly. I never used the Cruise Control. I've had vehicles with the control on a stem before, and I got use to, I thought I'd get use to this one. I also didn't notice that it rotated with the wheel.

I doubt very much that I'll keep this car more than 1 year. I just need to pay it down enough to not be "upside down" when I trade it in.

wow.....so you bought a car, without properly test driving it, and then b*tch about poor engineering?? I would have though that with being so easily bothered by the above annoyances, that you would have properly test driven the car to ensure it met your criteria. Were you just caught up in the moment about buying a new car? Despite the fact that this wasn't your first new vehicle?
Old 05-20-2005, 01:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Because...

Most cars headliners are a different color than the dash and interior... how could that possibly be distracting?

They gave it the gear ratio they did to improve performance, not to save gas. That should have been apparent to you in the first minute of the test drive. I love the gear ratio.

Not sure why some people are so bothered by not having a volume ****. The last volume **** I had was on a 1985 or so Pioneer Cassette deck. I am a huge fan of buttons. Personal preference, but again something to notice the minute you got in the car.

The fact that the rpms do not drop instantly actually makes shifting easier and smoother for most people. At the least it has no effect. I cant see how it would have a negative one. My saturn does the same thing and it has a throttle cable.

So I guess my point is that the things you mentioned are not issues with the car. The issue is that you bought a car without taking a good look at it.
Old 05-20-2005, 01:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

^^exactly what I was trying to say....you were just less sarcastic, and more direct

Quick Reply: Center Console Light