2005-2010 [ANT10]

Center Console Light

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2005, 01:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by engifineer
Not sure why some people are so bothered by not having a volume ****. The last volume **** I had was on a 1985 or so Pioneer Cassette deck. I am a huge fan of buttons. Personal preference, but again something to notice the minute you got in the car.
I agree with you on all points except this one. I test drove the tC twice and both times, the radio wasnt even installed yet. I asked the second dealership, and they said that its one of their ways of trying to get you to upgrade to the 6 disc changer. I only know about the buttons after reading it on this forum.

But...for a guy (not you, im referring now to the person you quoted) who has owned 11 cars, 6 new, I would have thought he researched this car a bit better before buying it so blindly.
Old 05-20-2005, 09:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Most cars headliners are a different color than the dash and interior... how could that possibly be distracting?

They gave it the gear ratio they did to improve performance, not to save gas. That should have been apparent to you in the first minute of the test drive. I love the gear ratio.

Not sure why some people are so bothered by not having a volume ****. The last volume **** I had was on a 1985 or so Pioneer Cassette deck. I am a huge fan of buttons. Personal preference, but again something to notice the minute you got in the car.

The fact that the rpms do not drop instantly actually makes shifting easier and smoother for most people. At the least it has no effect. I cant see how it would have a negative one. My saturn does the same thing and it has a throttle cable.

So I guess my point is that the things you mentioned are not issues with the car. The issue is that you bought a car without taking a good look at it.
All of the cars I've owned had monochromatic interiors. Most of them black. In this car the light colored "A" Pillars are slightly distracting at night to me. And by “distracting” I mean I notice them. My last vehicle had a light gray interior, and it never bothered me. Maybe it’s because the “A” pillars in this car are so fat (with airbags). Had I test driven the car at night, I would have notice this, the screwy consol light, and the lack of a glove box light.

The low final drive ratio is useful if you're a racer-boy wanna be, and regularly take it up to the red-line in 1st gear. But for average day-to-day driving, where I shift at about 3000 rpm, 1st gear runs out way too soon. Something I should have noticed during the test drive, but didn’t. This was never a deal killer anyway, I half expected it. My ’99 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS also had a low final drive ratio.

It’s not that the RPM’ don’t drop instantly (and they should), it’s the fact they continue to climb 200 to 300rpms . If I want to RPM-Match during shifting I'll heel-toe it. To RPM match now I have to...
Lift off the accelerator... wait 1/2 second... depress clutch.... change gear... release clutch... depress accelerator... repeat.
That's not normal or a feature to make it easier for newbs. The slow throttle actuator is a not a feature, it’s a bug.

False and True. The car has problems, and I didn't test drive it thoroughly. At least I’m not such a fanboy that I’m blinded to reality, and can admit to imperfections in the car I choose to buy. (I’m not saying anyone here is such a fanboy, I’m just saying I’m not).
Old 05-20-2005, 11:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Team ScionEyed
SL Member

Originally Posted by dslrdave
Originally Posted by Boobala
Originally Posted by GerryWhite
I still have not seen what is so annoying about it. Doesnt bother me a bit. It is just a light to help you see in the cubby hole. I would like to replace it with blue to match my blue light kit and my blue gauges.. but it doesnt annoy me in any way.
With the vast majority of those posting on SL, you've got to realize they're generally on their first car and are looking for things to whine about. LOL
I thought the light there was unusual, but hardly annoying. It comes in handy, too.
As for the lack of a light in the glove compartment/box, the one overhead is quite enough -- and easy to reach.
I’ve owned 11 cars in my life time. The last 6 were brand new.

The cubby hole light with no off switch is stupid.

The glove box with no automatic light is stupid.

Bad engineering, plain and simple.

If you’d like whining about this car, I’ll give you some whining …

The final drive ratio is too low. It should either be 3.90, or at worst 4.11. 4.24 doesn’t cut it. 1st gear is useless unless starting on hill. On flat-land I start in 2nd.

The drive-by-wire throttle actuator is too slow. Many people experience a lag between input and response. For me, it happens on throttle release during up-shifts. The engine continues to rev 200 to 300 rpm after I lift off the throttle and depress the clutch. It should instantly fall back, not rise.

The reverse lock-out gate is miss-adjusted or just poorly designed. I have to release the gear selector or wiggle it a bit in the neutral position to get to go from 5th to 4th.

The cruise control controls should be on the steering wheel or at least on a stem that doesn’t rotate with the steering wheel. I dislike having to hunt for it.

I’d prefer that the stock stereo have a volume ****, not up/down buttons. The buttons are slow and tedious. Press, press, press, press, press or press-n-hold-hold-hold-hold….

I find the light colored head-liner and pillars to be distracting. They should be the same color as rest of the interior.
So why the hell did you buy this car?
No S**T?!