Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Check engine soon light with intake system.

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2004, 10:23 PM
5 Year Member

Default Check engine soon light with intake system.

I just installed the weopon-R intake and after cruising for about 20 minutes the check engine light came on. I poped the hood and checked all connections and sensors and all seems kosher.

I've heard on some cars you have to "reset" the ECM to make it recognize and adjust to all the extra air coming in. I had a '97 Camaro that was this way, you would have to disconnect the positive battery terminal for 30 minutes then reconnect and be on your way.

I haven't gone this route just yet. Anyone else got any ideas?
Old 10-31-2004, 10:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

Take off the top lid of your engine bay's fuse box. Look on the other side of the top lid and look for the location for the"EFI" fuse (not the blue Denso relay). Take the EFI fuse out using the fuse-puller that is in the fuse box (white). Keep it out for about 30 seconds. Plug it back in and your ECU should be reset. Let your car idle for a few minutes. Afterwards, take the car for some runs on the highway (AT YOUR OWN RISK) to see if you "pop" another CEL (Check Engine Light).
Old 10-31-2004, 10:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

it is because you have the weapon r intake it is known for doing this. something about the pipe size and the air filter or somethin. thats why ya dont buy weapon-r. sorry man.
Old 10-31-2004, 10:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

Originally Posted by hotbox05
it is because you have the weapon r intake it is known for doing this. something about the pipe size and the air filter or somethin. thats why ya dont buy weapon-r. sorry man.
If anything, it's the pipe size around the MAF. There are quick-fixes for the pipe size around the MAF, but I don't recommend them...
Old 11-01-2004, 02:25 AM
Banned
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

Regradless of what intake I install, for whatever vehicle, I will let the car idle for 15 minutes. This is usually enuff for the MAF to reset. I don't throttle the engine until it has idled for at least 15 minutes.

I guess I've been lucky on the cars I've worked on as the CE light has yet to come on. (knocking on wood.)
Old 11-01-2004, 03:01 AM
5 Year Member

Well, thanks for the tips guys. I tried the EFI relay/fuse but it did nothing so I proceeded to disconect the battery. I waited about ten minutes and hooked it back up, let it idle for ten more minutes and then took it out for a couple full throttle pulls.

The light is gone and throttle response is better than before.
Old 11-01-2004, 03:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

Originally Posted by LimitedE
Well, thanks for the tips guys. I tried the EFI relay/fuse but it did nothing so I proceeded to disconect the battery. I waited about ten minutes and hooked it back up, let it idle for ten more minutes and then took it out for a couple full throttle pulls.

The light is gone and throttle response is better than before.
The throttle response might be better because you reset the ECU. It has to redo the fuel maps... The intake should help too...
Old 11-01-2004, 05:26 AM
Banned
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

The ECU and MAF need to re-adjust to the air flow, thus the need to rest everything. That's why I usually disconnect the battery anyway while installing the new intake. Pretty much taking care of "two birds with one stone". And then letting it idle for 15 minutes takes care of the rest.
Old 11-01-2004, 11:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
Seven City Scions
SL Member

why would you let the car idle for 15 mins. yes i agree let it idle for a few mins but at idle it has the same fuel curve, it needs to learn all the fuel curves all the way through the RPM range. i recommend, resetting the ecu, connect, idle a few mins, then easy driving for at least 10 mins on the highway, then slowly take her up higher and higher in the rpm range. this teachs the ecu the new fuel curves with the intake. any time you change the flow of air or the exit of air, its a good idea to reset the ecu.
Old 11-01-2004, 03:11 PM
Banned
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by Gmoney
why would you let the car idle for 15 mins. yes i agree let it idle for a few mins but at idle it has the same fuel curve, it needs to learn all the fuel curves all the way through the RPM range. i recommend, resetting the ecu, connect, idle a few mins, then easy driving for at least 10 mins on the highway, then slowly take her up higher and higher in the rpm range. this teachs the ecu the new fuel curves with the intake. any time you change the flow of air or the exit of air, its a good idea to reset the ecu.
The first install I did, the instructions stated too. I've used that as my baseline ever since. That way the engine and all of its components adjust to the new airflow. I don't know if there is a set period of time, but just from my experience, it works and out of at least 12 short ram/cold air intake installs Ive accomplished, it works and no CE light.
Old 11-01-2004, 08:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Originally Posted by Gmoney
if you let it idle for 15 mins u get better gas mileage for awhile if u rev up and such u get a slight bit more power but adverse mpg.
Old 11-06-2004, 08:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The sensors used on the Scions, as well as many Toyotas and other cars, do not work the same way that a MAP sensor car like a Honda does. These MAF sensors on the Scion need a chance to stabilize, before they can read airflow. If the motor is revved right away, it "pops" the sensor, confusing it. It's true that the ecu must learn the new fuel curve, but it must start at an idle speed first. With a Honda MAP sensor, you can rev the hell out of it, it could care less, MAP sensors don't need to be stabilized, they have a preset pressure/fuel map....and measure pressure instantly. So if you install an intake on a car with a MAF sensor...it's best to reset the ecu...and let the sensor learn, actually...you should reset the ecu each time you mod anything on the motor.