Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Check your tire pressure

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2004, 05:00 AM
5 Year Member

Default Check your tire pressure

I've been meaning to post this but have not had the chance.

about week after getting my car I decided to check the tire pressure, well they were all way off . they were all 4-5 psi over the recommended tire pressure ( 32psi front/ 29psi rear) has anyone else experienced this, or know the reason why. Im guessing it has something to do with transporting the car.

anyway, after lowering the psi i noticed that my ride got better and the rattle i would sometimes hear near the stereo went away.
Old 09-06-2004, 05:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

may sound like an idiot, but oh well....

I have the low profile Pirelli's and it doesn't say recommended tire pressure, all it says is 50 psi max. Where should they be?
Old 09-06-2004, 10:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the pressures should be around what scion said to put them at.. you can find this on the door jamb.. or in the owner's manual..

If you have a larger wheel/tire combo than stock.. let's say a plus one upgrade.. possibly a 1lb increase compared to the stock numbers..

the 50 PSI on the sidewall is actually the MAX pressure the tire can take before rupturing and exploding.. not what you should be driving on everyday.. usually all Z-rated and W-rated tires are about 50-51psi.. depending on the tires construction..
Old 09-06-2004, 06:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i checked mine the day after i got it, 3 of the tires were 2-3 psi over and 1 tire was .5 psi under.
Old 09-06-2004, 11:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This one has been posted before but I will post again. Definitely check the PSI. Mine was not adjusted and were well over 40PSI in each tire (kept at shipping PSI). I informed the dealer so the next tC/car will be adjusted.

Kevin
Old 09-07-2004, 12:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
IV ACE

Just so you know.
The tC(and most likely the xA & xB also) have a warning system integrated into the TCS. If your tire pressure is too low your TCS will light up and beep a few times when you first start driving.

I couldnt figure out what it was that was beeping in my xB. I went to the dealer to ask my friend/service rep. He showed me the tC's Service Rep's brocure and he told me the xB probably has the same system. Turns out that a slow leak I had in one of my tires was the problem, it keeps loosing air through my metal valve stem.
Old 09-07-2004, 12:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by bB384
Just so you know.
The tC(and most likely the xA & xB also) have a warning system integrated into the TCS. If your tire pressure is too low your TCS will light up and beep a few times when you first start driving.

I couldnt figure out what it was that was beeping in my xB. I went to the dealer to ask my friend/service rep. He showed me the tC's Service Rep's brocure and he told me the xB probably has the same system. Turns out that a slow leak I had in one of my tires was the problem, it keeps loosing air through my metal valve stem.
FYI only the RS1.0 of the xA has a TCS.
Old 09-17-2004, 01:52 PM
5 Year Member

This is just a friendly reminder to check your tire pressure.

My warning light came on last nite, sure as sheet, my right rear was 8lbs low. I rechecked them all this morning. Good to go and it drives like a new car.

Go check it.
Old 09-17-2004, 02:30 PM
5 Year Member

Default Scion ships them with pressure high...

I downloaded an read all of the Scion tC TSB's. One of them states that Scion (Totyota) ships them with the tire pressure high to prevent flat spots. The pre-delivery checklist tells the mechanic to reduce the pressue to the amount specified on the door jam and then to reset the tire pressure system. It also states the tire pressure warning system is not active until about 30-60 minutes of actual driving has occurred (following a reset).
Old 09-17-2004, 03:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Scion ships them with pressure high...

Originally Posted by mikewest
I downloaded an read all of the Scion tC TSB's.
Where can you get these?
Old 09-17-2004, 03:47 PM
5 Year Member

Default http://techinfo.toyota.com/ - 1 day subscription for $10

I read about this in this forum somewhere...
Old 09-17-2004, 04:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

a TSB isn't what you read, if that's what you read from it. It will state common problems and how dealerships can fix them, I believe. Not general information on production.
Old 09-17-2004, 04:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Rivulent
a TSB isn't what you read, if that's what you read from it. It will state common problems and how dealerships can fix them, I believe. Not general information on production.
That was the impression that I had too. I am interested in seeing the things that someone read above - that state common procedures and things for dealers to check (for example, that the cars are shipped with high tire pressure, the reason why, and that the dealer should fix it on delivery).
Old 09-17-2004, 05:00 PM
5 Year Member

Default You stand corrected...

TSB PD007-04 says, "Tire pressue is set high at the assembly plant for transport and sotrage to prevent tire flat spots." Perhaps you meant to say, "I didn't think TSB's had that kind of information."

Originally Posted by Rivulent
[/img]
Old 09-17-2004, 06:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That's weird cuz when I had my first oil change at Longo, they inflated my tires from 30/29 (from when I did my tire check a few days before) to 40/40.
Old 11-15-2004, 08:46 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

the reason for overinflation could be this, PDI's are usually givin to a tech 1/2 hour before they leave so they have to rush through it to get it done and when u rush u forget things such as setting tire pressures to manufacturer specs. all dealerships are different but where i work PDI's are supposed to take 2 hours and when u give it to some1 right before they leave somethings are not gonna get done.

also if it check pressure right after driving u will not get a correct reading b/c manufacturer specs are "cold tire inflation" that means when u drive the car and check it the pressure has built up so check it about an hour after driving it.

as far as low pressure , put in the correct psi and check it a couple times through out the day see how often it drops u might possibly have a slow leak.
Old 11-15-2004, 09:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

not to be a dick... but checking ur tire pressure's part of owning a car just like checking ur oil and washn it :? am i the only one who knew to check my tires every so often
Old 11-15-2004, 09:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tcwannab
not to be a dick... but checking ur tire pressure's part of owning a car just like checking ur oil and washn it :? am i the only one who knew to check my tires every so often
It is not the routine checking, it is checking it as soon as you get your tC. Mine was close to 40PSI. I did not check until 2 weeks so tC went that long at 40psi. And I did let the dealer know.

Kevin
Old 11-15-2004, 10:54 PM
5 Year Member

Just go to COSTCO and get nitrogen air put in your tires. Then you never have to check your tire presure again.
Old 11-15-2004, 11:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Um... how's that work? What's the deal with nitrogen? Does it not leak or something? Is Costco the only place that does it?

Quick Reply: Check your tire pressure