Check your tire pressure

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2004, 11:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by bB384
Just so you know.
The tC(and most likely the xA & xB also) have a warning system integrated into the TCS. If your tire pressure is too low your TCS will light up and beep a few times when you first start driving.

I couldnt figure out what it was that was beeping in my xB. I went to the dealer to ask my friend/service rep. He showed me the tC's Service Rep's brocure and he told me the xB probably has the same system. Turns out that a slow leak I had in one of my tires was the problem, it keeps loosing air through my metal valve stem.
Yup. u was going up to berkeley and on the way there i ran over a 3 inch nail. all the sudden a light turned on. i took it in the next day and they told me what it was. i had the nail in there for 2 more days until i had time to get it fixed. every once in a while i had to put air in obviously but when it was fixed the light was still on. i called the dealer and they told me what to do. to reset it u press the button in the glove compartment and hold it down until it goes away.
Old 11-15-2004, 11:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by bB384
Just so you know.
The tC(and most likely the xA & xB also) have a warning system integrated into the TCS. If your tire pressure is too low your TCS will light up and beep a few times when you first start driving.

I couldnt figure out what it was that was beeping in my xB. I went to the dealer to ask my friend/service rep. He showed me the tC's Service Rep's brocure and he told me the xB probably has the same system. Turns out that a slow leak I had in one of my tires was the problem, it keeps loosing air through my metal valve stem.
Yup. i was going up to berkeley and on the way there i ran over a 3 inch nail. all the sudden a light turned on. i took it in the next day and they told me what it was. i had the nail in there for 2 more days until i had time to get it fixed. every once in a while i had to put air in obviously but when it was fixed the light was still on. i called the dealer and they told me what to do. to reset it u press the button in the glove compartment and hold it down until it goes away.
Old 11-15-2004, 11:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

my bad,didnt mean to put it in tiwce
Old 11-15-2004, 11:06 PM
5 Year Member

Nitrogen atoms are bigger than that of the air currently used in your tires. The nitrogen atoms cannot pass through the atoms of the rubber in the tires.
Old 11-15-2004, 11:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That's pretty cool... although in all honesty, I've never had a problem with a non-defective tire leaking enough air to make a difference. Remember this though (I might not have the numbers perfect here): each 10 degrees change in the weather is 1 PSI change. So if it was like 70 or 80 a couple months back and now it's like 40ish (about what happened in Seattle) you're 3.5 PSI off. At least right now I care enough to change that. So you've got to add air (you're not going to take it back to Costco all the time, are you?) And then in the summer, you're going to be way high, so you have to let it back out. So anyway, check your tires from time to time at least.
Old 11-15-2004, 11:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nitrogen is also immune to tempature changes. I've never heard of anyone doing this that wasn't in a race car however.
Old 11-15-2004, 11:48 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by mancide
Nitrogen is also immune to tempature changes. I've never heard of anyone doing this that wasn't in a race car however.
Coctco does it- this is true

If you have not purchased tires from them they will not do anything for you though- At least at my costco.
Old 11-16-2004, 01:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Interesting - if that's true (about it being temperature immune), that would be really cool. But I just checked for replacement tires there, and at least online, they don't have ____. Anyone have a tC and see some good tires at their local costco?
Old 11-16-2004, 05:55 AM
5 Year Member

You can special order any tire you want just go into your local COSTCO. Just remember COSTCO will not put a tire on your car that is below your cars rating.
Old 11-16-2004, 07:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i spoke with an aircraft technician.. he told me that they use nitrogen in aircraft tires.. he told me that it has an expansion similar to oxygen, but the reason they use it is because it doesn't hold moisture (hence corrosion).. but it does expand and contract with heat and cold..
Old 11-16-2004, 11:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Check your tire pressure

Originally Posted by ninerfan
I've been meaning to post this but have not had the chance.

about week after getting my car I decided to check the tire pressure, well they were all way off . they were all 4-5 psi over the recommended tire pressure ( 32psi front/ 29psi rear) has anyone else experienced this, or know the reason why. Im guessing it has something to do with transporting the car.

anyway, after lowering the psi i noticed that my ride got better and the rattle i would sometimes hear near the stereo went away.
Two questions:
1. Was it hotter outside in your neck of the woods than it is usually?
2. Do you have aftermarket rims?
Old 11-16-2004, 11:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by DACS03
Nitrogen atoms are bigger than that of the air currently used in your tires. The nitrogen atoms cannot pass through the atoms of the rubber in the tires.
And if you think that's cool, try putting liquid nitrogen in your tires! :D
Old 11-16-2004, 04:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by sciontc_mich
i spoke with an aircraft technician.. he told me that they use nitrogen in aircraft tires.. he told me that it has an expansion similar to oxygen, but the reason they use it is because it doesn't hold moisture (hence corrosion).. but it does expand and contract with heat and cold..
Yup, it just doesn't expand/contract as much or have to be refilled as often.
Old 11-16-2004, 06:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just saw this link all about the nitrogen tires thing... it's fairly short and a good read:

http://www.aiada.org/article.asp?id=27730&cat=Industry

He does say things about inflating tires to the TIRE maximum (rather than the car recommended pressure) which I know will increase efficiency but isn't a good idea. Our car is supposed to be filled to 32/29 - does anyone around here run anything different from that?
Old 11-18-2004, 07:19 AM
5 Year Member

Just a quick note. I recall reading somewhere in the owner's manual that said if you plan on driving over 100 miles per hour continuously, you should inflate the fronts to 38 and the rears to 32, or something to that extent. Just for all you speed demons out there...
Old 11-18-2004, 04:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Really? I read the owners manual from cover to cover, and I didn't see that. Maybe it was in the tire manual? I didn't read that. So maybe somewhere in the middle for people that drive a little faster?
Old 11-18-2004, 06:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

are ya'll for real?
has a post on checking your tire pressure gone on THIS long?!?
three words...no $h!t sherlock!