Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Coin stuck in Cell Phone Holder Compartment Door!

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2006, 07:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Coin stuck in Cell Phone Holder Compartment Door!

I haven't posted in a long time here (over year). But recently I noticed my cell phone compartment door doesn't open all the way anymore. I know there is a coin stuck in the area where the door flips open. As an engineer myself, I must say that the center console is poorly designed and the cell phone holder is by far the worst part of the center console.

You guys have any similar problems or recommendations of how to get the coin out. It is driving me crazy. I am thinking of using a big magnet to "suck" it out but I am not even sure the coin that is stuck is magnetic (some coins are more magnetic than others). Any help would be appreciated.

P.S. This is a 2005 tC.
Old 10-20-2006, 07:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

take it apart. its real easy.
Old 10-20-2006, 07:59 PM
web
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've got the same damn problem. Too much change in there. Would have been nice if they made it removable.
Old 10-20-2006, 08:00 PM
5 Year Member

SL Member

Wow I thought i was the only idiot who did this. LOL I got mine out with persistance. I dont remeber how i did it but i know i had to remove the trim to get to it... I cant believe its not removable either. GL lol!
Old 10-20-2006, 08:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Take the center part, with the coin area and cupholders off. Hit it a bunch of times from underneath. If that doesn't work, shake the **** out of it while hitting it from underneath.
Old 10-20-2006, 08:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by web
I've got the same damn problem. Too much change in there. Would have been nice if they made it removable.
Yeah the tC is a great car performance wise in my opinion for the money, but interior wise, there are lots of problems - especially in the 2005 version (not sure if they were fixed in 2006).

1) Cell Phone Holder - The entire design is just terrible (too small, cell phone holder?, door opens the wrong way, door mechanism is terrible, COINS GET STUCK)

2) The back left trunk cloth "cover" has slack in it as if the fabric designers were off by 1 inch or something.

3) The stereo cover is built cheap and easily breakable (I never close mine anymore since getting a new headunit a week after buying the car)

4) The sunroof cover is cheap and poorly constructed (Depending on temperature outside, the cover sometimes gets stuck)

5) They put a car adapter outlet INSIDE the arm support in the middle console. So if you want to charge your phone, the cord will have to stay inside the console with the phone. If they wanted to be this clever, they should of made a hole in the side so the cell phone charger cord could come out and you could still use your phone.

Too many to list. But I haven't stayed up-to-date with fixes or the 2006 version.
Old 10-20-2006, 08:07 PM
web
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, i'm with you on the problems. I like people who can be realistic about their cars.
Old 10-20-2006, 08:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I got a seperate phone holder from my dealer...... maybe they realized ppl were having this problem. But it takes the place of 1 of the cup holders.
Old 10-20-2006, 08:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by Necromancer
5) They put a car adapter outlet INSIDE the arm support in the middle console. So if you want to charge your phone, the cord will have to stay inside the console with the phone. If they wanted to be this clever, they should of made a hole in the side so the cell phone charger cord could come out and you could still use your phone.
I thought it was pretty cool that they put a car adapter inside the center console. That way I can throw my iRiver in the compartment and connect it up to the aux input while charging it.
Old 10-20-2006, 08:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by theblue
I thought it was pretty cool that they put a car adapter inside the center console. That way I can throw my iRiver in the compartment and connect it up to the aux input while charging it.
It is definitely cool, but I feel they kind of failed in that you should be able to guide the wire out to the side of the console so you can still use the electronic device you are trying to use (iPod, Cell Phone, Portable PC, etc.)
Old 10-20-2006, 09:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

...1) Cell Phone Holder - The entire design is just terrible (too small, cell phone holder?, door opens the wrong way, door mechanism is terrible, COINS GET STUCK)

2) The back left trunk cloth "cover" has slack in it as if the fabric designers were off by 1 inch or something.

3) The stereo cover is built cheap and easily breakable (I never close mine anymore since getting a new headunit a week after buying the car)

4) The sunroof cover is cheap and poorly constructed (Depending on temperature outside, the cover sometimes gets stuck)

5) They put a car adapter outlet INSIDE the arm support in the middle console. So if you want to charge your phone, the cord will have to stay inside the console with the phone. If they wanted to be this clever, they should of made a hole in the side so the cell phone charger cord could come out and you could still use your phone...
1. The RAZOR fits fine in the holder...even when it's charging. I guess it just depends on what phone you have.
2. It's supposed to have slack in the event you ever recline your rear seat(s).
3. Does feel flimsy. You might try to adjust the brackets that hold the HU in place. That should give you some space for the HU to move farther back and allow the door to close.
4. Sometimes you gotta lube it.
5. I like the adapter in the center console. It worked fine when I had my stock HU and iPod. (Could charge and keep my iPod out of sight.) About the phone charger; depending on the thickness of the cord, you can move the cord to the middle (where the the door hindges closed) and not only close but lock the door. (That's how my charger cord works.) Now I use the adapter for my SIRIUS Satellite Radio. Works great. Although I may end up drilling a hole for the SIRIUS cable and feed it out to the passenger side. Put a rubber grommet over the hole allowing the wire to pass but looking clean as well and I'll be set!
Old 10-20-2006, 10:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Hmmm, this is why I don't keep my change there. lol
Old 10-20-2006, 10:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by toeveryhour
Hmmm, this is why I don't keep my change there. lol
That is a good idea. I have since taken my change and stuck in the the dual cup holders for now. I am thinking about taking a drill and destroying that piece of crap cell phone holder door. I am still questioning the intelligence of whoever designed that thing. It is horribly designed - and I doubt I am alone on this one.
Old 10-20-2006, 10:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

There's nothing wrong with the power outlet in the center arm console... that's how its supposed to be, so that you can charge the aux audio device. You should use the power outlet provided near the "cell phone holder" - that's what its there for! lol

I find the cell phone holder thing just perfect. I have a Nokia 6682 which is bigger than most people's phones, but fits just fine.

You must all be using Nexhell *cough* Nextel or something
Old 10-20-2006, 11:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

The cell phone door works great in mine and the holder has been great for all 3 phones I have had since I bought the car... including my razor. And if you got a coing stuck.. that is not a design issue.. it was a simple accident on your part. It is a cell phone holder, not a coin trap.

I havent seen one issue on the sunroof cover.. it has to be flexible to roll up in the small area.

There is another power outlet right there by the cell phone holder.. just take the cig lighter out like on every other car in the world. A hole into the center arm rest would completely destroy the entire idea of having one power outlet hidden in the arm rest. And to me.. I would rather have it in there. I think talking on the phone and driving is stupid, so I could care less where it is. But as I a said, you can use the other one outside the compartment.

Never one issue with the stereo cover at all. Works great.

Other than that, just take it apart.. it isnt that hard. And dont put change in it anymore.
Old 10-21-2006, 12:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It's such a pain pulling apart the console for one cent.
Old 10-21-2006, 12:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

no trust me, pulling it apart is so easy. its like legos, just pop out, take what you need, and pop it back in. there is like 4 screws though.
Old 10-21-2006, 06:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by phiquach
no trust me, pulling it apart is so easy. its like legos, just pop out, take what you need, and pop it back in. there is like 4 screws though.
You don't have to unscrew anything. What are you thinking of?
Old 10-21-2006, 07:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by Zebman
Originally Posted by phiquach
You don't have to unscrew anything. What are you thinking of?
Obviously not legos!
Old 10-21-2006, 11:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

i dont understand lol

Quick Reply: Coin stuck in Cell Phone Holder Compartment Door!