Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Common tC Issues and Various Fixes

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by jas0nh
Hi guys. I have noticed three different issues since when I got my car; I am bringing it to the dealership today but wanted to know if anybody else have these issues. I have had my '08 tC for about a month. The issues are:

1. When I press on the brake, there is a small clicking sound. I have to turn off the stereo to hear it.
2. After driving, there is a weird burnt rubber smell coming from the engine compartment. My brother-in-law said it's because the car is new and the engine does that, but should the smell remains for a month?
3. Also after driving, I can hear water dripping (onto a metal component) inside the engine compartment. Anybody else also?

Thanks.

That dripping noise is from your A/C dripping onto the hot metal in the engine bay.
Old 09-24-2007, 08:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tCharlie07
Hi guys. I have noticed three different issues since when I got my car; I am bringing it to the dealership today but wanted to know if anybody else have these issues. I have had my '08 tC for about a month. The issues are:

1. When I press on the brake, there is a small clicking sound. I have to turn off the stereo to hear it.
2. After driving, there is a weird burnt rubber smell coming from the engine compartment. My brother-in-law said it's because the car is new and the engine does that, but should the smell remains for a month?
3. Also after driving, I can hear water dripping (onto a metal component) inside the engine compartment. Anybody else also?

Thanks.
Rubber smell could possibly be normal........as for the clicking sound from engaging your brakes that's normal my brakes do that too...it's the noise from your brake booster. As for the water dripping it could be from your A/C if you used it and if not I have no idea than.

That dripping noise is from your A/C dripping onto the hot metal in the engine bay.
Old 09-29-2007, 01:56 AM
SL Member

with all these common problems that tc has...
you think i should extend my warranty to 6years/60,000???
Old 09-29-2007, 09:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tCharlie07

Thanks.

It's thermal expansion.
Old 10-26-2007, 11:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Premium Member

ill bump this with a rattle free hatch......

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...972&highlight=
Old 11-01-2007, 09:59 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

good info, thanks guys!!!
Old 11-11-2007, 06:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What's up yall, this is my latest... https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...378&highlight=
Old 12-07-2007, 04:55 PM

Default Paint scratch

my scion has a small scrath and i don't know how to repair it. My scion is a flint mica or dark grey tc...can someone help me? also i would like to know the color codification number
Old 12-07-2007, 05:54 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

this might sound simple or dumb, but try the "scratchx" on your car. i used to use it on my old truck (which had bad scratches where got keyed) and it worked great. or there is aplace that i bought color matching touch up paint at for the deeper oens.
Old 12-28-2007, 02:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

meg scratch-x does work good!
Old 01-04-2008, 12:00 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

what's the fix for "throttle tip in"

where you just touch the throttle, and it JUMPS

it's like the throttle has a dead spot, then it takes off.

it's been like that since new, but my daughter never got it fixed, she just got use to it.

now, it's driving me nuts.

is there a TSB for that, or does the "throttle delay" rubber chunk under the pedal stop fix that?

you can't drink a soda in a parking lot, you will slosh it out.
Old 01-04-2008, 04:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^ There is a solution, it's called finesse.
Old 01-07-2008, 07:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by RodC
that is total BS. I've had the car for 3 years. I have just as much finese/touch as anyone, seeing as how i've been driving stick cars for 10 years (since i started working at a Getty station).

There is no "finessing" the tc's pedals. You have to mash it down so you know you will get response, then gradual lift off to match revs.

Maybe you can develop a technique which makes it easier, but the tc's[throttle especially] pedals are certainly not easy to use.

maybe when you say finesse, you mean, you have to be incredibly deliberate and sensitive when applying pressure to the gas pedal, because a bit too much pressure and the rpms skyrocket, but sometimes if you try to be real gentle, you don't get any throttle response at all.

go push on the gas pedal with your fingers. you'll see, there is decent initial resistence, but once you get past the break point, the pedal will go right to the floor without much effort. Jab the pedal slightly with your fingers, and you can even get no response. Like the pedal has to travel a few centimeters before the pot actually registers throttle position. And when you "jab" the pedal, rpms don't jump AS you jab the pedal, but AFTER you have jabbed the pedal.

this is because of 2 things:

1) the pedal is not attached to a cable, thus there is no tension on the pedal and nothing directly connecting/linking to the throttle body
2) the return spring for the gas pedal is too soft and is not PROGRESSIVE...as it should be. Ie. It should get more firm the closer the pedal gets to the ground. It shouldn't be just as easy to go from 1/2-WOT as it is from idle - 1/2 throttle.
Old 01-08-2008, 02:32 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SePaTc
Originally Posted by RodC
that is total BS.
i agree. it's a real pain.

i basically just ignore it, and drive it like regular, because i am tired of trying to work around the piece of crap. let it jerk itself to death, what's the warranty, 100k?

you should have seen me trying to back it up in the yard tonite, between the house, the dogs jumping around, and the truck on one side, it was a real pain trying to look all over creation and "finesse" the throttle.

i am gonna call the dealer tomorrow, see if there is a TSB (tech service bulletin) or something that fixes it.
Old 01-08-2008, 02:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

There won't be a TSB. I found that installing a grounding wire kit improved throttle response, but the best fix is just to learn the right technique.
Old 01-17-2008, 03:19 AM

very helpful...thank you
Old 02-07-2008, 01:37 AM

Im a new scion tc owner..i have a 2007 if it matters...i have a bit of a problem with my sunroof...everytime i close it or open it it makes a loud clicking noise (one time) as if something in the rail is snapping agianst metal...don't know how to fix it or if it is what i think it is. any suggestions?
Old 03-04-2008, 01:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

update the list pls!!!!

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie....php?p=3242733
Old 03-11-2008, 10:53 PM

I know that there is supposed to be a kind of lag in the rpm's when you shift gears due to the vvt-i but is there any way to disengage it because when i drive i try and get used to it but the car is trying to get used to me. i
Old 03-27-2008, 01:31 PM
5 Year Member

I have a problem with my clutch, It doesn't wanna go in first gear sometimes or reverse. can someone help me out?

Quick Reply: Common tC Issues and Various Fixes