Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Common tC Issues and Various Fixes

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 11:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

try to double clutch... if u cant put it in reverse.. let go the clucth and push it in again.. if its still not working then push in the clucth let the car roll forward or backard just a few inches and try again!
Old 03-27-2008, 11:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CSOCSO
try to double clutch...
Just don't granny-shift or you might blow the welds on your intake manifold.
Old 03-28-2008, 12:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

???? what?
Old 03-28-2008, 12:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Old 03-28-2008, 12:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I like the tuna fish here!
Old 03-28-2008, 12:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by RodC
when i said double clucth i wanted to say: let go the clucth and press it again... so u can put it in reverse........................

it has nothing to do with him or fast and furious
Old 05-07-2008, 08:48 PM

ok when i am being all fast and furious like and slam the gas in first gear and second gears....on occasion the ebrake light will come on for about a split second...any suggestions?
Old 05-07-2008, 08:51 PM

oh and on this problem the ebrake is completely down as far as it will go
Old 05-07-2008, 09:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Phantom e-brake light = check/replace brake fluid and brake pads.
Old 05-07-2008, 09:26 PM

thanks for your help
Old 05-07-2008, 09:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No problemo.
Old 05-09-2008, 10:05 PM

Hi, im new to this site, but ive had my 08 scion since july of last year... I did search the site to see if this was discussed already but didnt find anything..

.. Recently, ive noticed that when you go into 5th gear, you can hear some kind of rattling type noise. At first i thought there was something in that little cubbyhole thing, but when i turned off the radio and actually listened, it sounds like its the stick. when your in 5th and you kind of push the stick over to the right you hear it more, when you slightly push it to the left it stops. Is it possibly loose or something?

Also, what does everyone mean by the sunroof rattling? Is it when its open and you turn it kind of sounds like its twisting sort of? It kind of makes a creaking type sound.. is that normal, or is that what everyones talking about?

Thanks, and sorry if this was already asked.. i looked but didnt see it anywhere.
Old 05-21-2008, 12:54 AM
5 Year Member
Scinergy

mine made that noise while turning for a while. i'm not exactly sure what the problem was. i took it to the dealer and left it there for a couple hours after complaining about it. when i picked it up i was told they could find nothing wrong, but the noise stopped after that so i have no idea.
Old 06-19-2008, 01:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

For you guys/gals with speakers in a tC, you might get some serious rattling in the rear section of your tC. Happens for all years, even the 09 RS 4 lol. This rattling is most likey caused by the white wire connections in behind the inner body panels somewhere above both rear speakers (sorry, not accurate since I fixed my problem back in 2006). Simply using electrical tape to the sheet metal will do. Mine has never rattled since.

Brandon
Old 06-23-2008, 01:04 AM

Does the warrenty still need to be active for a tsb to be performed?
Old 06-27-2008, 10:21 PM

hey guys and gals of SL, i'm a newbie member here, so forgive me if this question has been answered. I did try the search feature and I've been looking at several topics for months now and I still haven't found an answer to my question.

So, here's what happened:
I was shifting from 2nd to 3rd, and as soon as I passed 4000 RPM(which I try to avoid as much as possible) my car just suddenly lost power. My RPM went down to the 'idle position' but my car did not completely die out. Luckily, i had enough momentum and was able to pull out of the main road and roll into a residential area. I shut down the car completely and let it rest for about a minute. I turned the car back on, and the RPM just shot to redline without me stepping on the gas pedal! I quickly turned the car off and let it rest for another minute or so. I turned it on again and the car was fine, but with the CEL on. It happened randomly two more times, and during one of those times it was on the freeway from 4th to 5th gear when I passed just a tad hair-bit off of 4k RPM, and thank goodness again i had enough momentum to crawl off an exit ramp and into a parking lot.

At the dealership:
The associate told me (without even doing a complete diagnostic) that it's probably because my gas cover wasn't screwed on tight enough. Right then and there I knew I wasn't gonna get that much help at this dealership so I went to an independent mechanic; one that I kinda knew and trusted.

At the independent mechanic:
OBD reading gave an error about the throttle body. If I could find that code I'll re-edit this post. The mechanic said I 'might' need to change my throttle body, which should be covered under warranty.

Onto a different dealership:
They said they'll need to do their own diagnostic. If the problem is covered under warranty there would be no problem and I would just have to pay a diag fee. If the problem is NOT covered underwarranty, it would cost me more than I could've afford at the time. So I had to save up for a couple of weeks and come back.

Two weeks later:
For two weeks I felt uncomfortable driving over 4000 RPM for a few days, but when I did, the car was running normal. It's as if the problem was never there. In fact, it feels like a factory restricition to slow the car down has been removed or something or maybe it's just in my head. *shrugs*

My car had about 55k miles on it when this happened, I drive it easy about 90% of the time, and my car does not have any mods to the engine. I am now at 61k miles and it has never happened again.

So here's my question:
Has anyone ever experienced this before?

I never really got this fixed since the problem went away and It's been about over a year since this happened. But I'm just curious why this happend. And even if I don't find an answer, i'm still just glad the problem is gone.

My apologies for the long, first-time post. I'm such a newb.

-Mike
Old 07-03-2008, 02:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^ Sounds like something wrong with the VVT-i
Old 07-15-2008, 01:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have an 07 Tc and i have no problems with it yet. sorry n advice
Old 08-06-2008, 02:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Added an info thread for a squeaking clutch pedal. Listed under "other issues."
Old 09-18-2008, 10:26 PM

Default Water Pump TC 2006 40k GONE BAD>>>>>>>&

Just to let others know....my 2006 had 40k and apparently the bearing went bad in the water pump. It was covered by warranty so they replaced the water pump hoWEVER......the technician is kind of cool with me. He advised me in the past couple of weeks they have seen this quite often....So just some FYI for you all. If your TC starts to make a loud noise almost like it wants to throw a rod and your gauges look fine.....that maybe your problem.... Also has anyone had an issues with a lite chime when they turn on left turn signal and my security alarm they installed does not make any type of noise except when I hit the panic button. I've had issues with it since the day I bought it, as far as the security alarm goes. The last time I took it back(this has been going on for two years with them now) they told me reason it was not working right was because of a wire not grounded properly. However I ran into another TC owner the other day and his alarm went off when it was suppost to...Can anyone help or tell me where I can purchase or possibly download a manual? I want to test it as much as possible and take it back to BEAMAN and throw it in there face!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Common tC Issues and Various Fixes