Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Common tC Issues and Various Fixes

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2006, 09:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i just had a recent problem with my sunroof. i have 30k on my car and after awhile, the sunroof doesn't sit flush thus making wind noise. the dealer will readjust it for you. fyi
Old 05-11-2006, 09:42 PM
5 Year Member

Default glove box

the damper found on the right side of the glove compartment is rattling.
Old 05-18-2006, 04:35 AM
5 Year Member
Scikotics

I think that everything on Toyota's in general rattles. I had an 04 Matrix before this and that whole dash rattled and made noises. The tC i just got has rattles and squeaks in it already and only has 1600 miles on it. My mom has an 03 Camry and it also has a lot of squeaks and rattles in the dash. I do not know if its just Toyota's but my eclipse never had dash rattles. (even though it never ran lol) It seems to me that everytime i take it into the dealer, i can never make the sounds come back but once i leave the dealership, there they are... I know that my dealership is really stingy when it comes to TSB's. I pretty much have to print it out and bring it to them it gets so bad sometimes
Old 05-22-2006, 06:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by mfbenson
All four times its the sunroof. It actually has two problems:

1. When trying to close it, it gets to where the front flap is supposed to fold down, and the pinch protection activates and the sunroof opens fully instead of closing. It consisently did that every time on the first and third times I brought it into the dealer, on the second and fourth times in the dealer it was intermittent.

2. The sunroof does not close 100% of the way when in the "fully closed" position, and whistles loudly when driving at 70 mph or above. It did this on the 2nd and 4th times I brought it in. I do not know if it leaks, as I have not had the car in the rain since it got very bad. The whistling has gradually gotten worse over time.

I had the laminate done on the 2nd time in the dealer, so since my problems started before that the laminate is not to blame, although the install may have somehow worsened the problems.

I'm wondering if I've given my particular dealer's service department too many second chances already and if I should try somewhere else. I'm pretty fed up with it and am about ready to trade the darn thing in. Its still in the dealership now, and has been for four days now. At least the dealership gave me a Celica GT-S as a loaner. Too bad its automatic but I guess that's the only way loaner cars come.

No, I'm not a hater. I also have an xB and its been pretty much perfect.

update 3/13: Car is still in the shop, but they have decided I need a whole new sunroof. That seems a bit drastic, but I'm glad its going to be fixed once and for all.
i'm having the same problem in my sunroof, when closing it gets to a certain spot and opens all the way back up again... what did the dealership say that was or how did they fix it?
Old 05-22-2006, 11:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Often the track is just dirty or they need to be lubricated. Why not just take it in and have them look?
Old 05-22-2006, 11:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Since you guys are so confused by this sunroof thing, I added it as an "issue" to the first post.
Old 05-22-2006, 04:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ack154
Often the track is just dirty or they need to be lubricated. Why not just take it in and have them look?
its one of those things that doesnt happen that often, its rare, and from working at a dealership before, if someone brought a car in, and said i have a problem, but the tech cant see, hear the problem, there's not much they can do...
Old 05-22-2006, 04:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Mine does it occasionally... but after I go to the carwash and it seems to clean out, it's OK again.

I understand what you're saying about not all the time though... but another option if you take it in is to explain what it's been doing (even if they don't see it) and ask them if they'll check it or at least lubricate it for you. That shouldn't be too much of an issue for them. Then if it still does it, you have more to tell them next time and you know something else may be wrong.
Old 05-30-2006, 05:56 PM
5 Year Member

Default driver's side handle vibrates

I just recently noticed the handle above my head is rattling/vibrating while I drive. It is extremely annoying and I can't seem to get it to stop. Does anyone else have this problem and have any ideas for solutions?

Also, I was wondering if anybody has heard about accuracy problems with the speedometer. This may sound dumb and exaggerated, but I have received 2 speeding tickets in the last year with my scion tc and both times was going well under what the cop supposedly clocked me at. This last one was clocked at 80 mph when I was only going 72. That's a pretty significant difference. And my tires had the correct pressure, so that can't be the cause. Has anyone else noticed anything about the speedometer?

| Krystal
Old 05-30-2006, 06:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No huge speedo difference that I know of. Maybe 1-2 mph. Are you sure you just weren't going that fast and saw the lower speed after you knew you were screwed?

As for the handle thing, I think very few have mentioned it and there hasn't really been any quick fix for it. You may just have to go to the dealer and see what they say.
Old 05-30-2006, 07:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Big Sky Scion
SL Member

Default Re: driver's side handle vibrates

Originally Posted by first_new_car
I just recently noticed the handle above my head is rattling/vibrating while I drive. It is extremely annoying and I can't seem to get it to stop. Does anyone else have this problem and have any ideas for solutions?

Also, I was wondering if anybody has heard about accuracy problems with the speedometer. This may sound dumb and exaggerated, but I have received 2 speeding tickets in the last year with my scion tc and both times was going well under what the cop supposedly clocked me at. This last one was clocked at 80 mph when I was only going 72. That's a pretty significant difference. And my tires had the correct pressure, so that can't be the cause. Has anyone else noticed anything about the speedometer?

| Krystal
Do you have stock tires/wheels?
Old 05-30-2006, 09:34 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by SciontCya

| Krystal
Do you have stock tires/wheels?
yes, stock tires. i'm pretty sure it was the cop just being a jackass, but i figured i'd look at all angles before i give in to paying the ticket.
Old 06-01-2006, 01:40 AM
5 Year Member

| Krystal
I have the exact same problem in the exact same plae. Ive had it looked at and all they did was insulate it but it still does it all the time. I have that rattle, the infamous hatch rattle which is like Japanese Water Torture, and a clicking noise coming from the center console whenever I shift and/or accelerate/decelerate.

Does anyone else have that clicking noise from the center console when shifting gears or change in speed?
Old 06-01-2006, 06:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just fixed my hatch rattle.. it was the ribs that support the shape of the top part... i simply cut a towel and shoved it between.. the bottom part of the rib kept bouncing against it....

as for near the shifter i have no clue.. now i gotta fix my radio door rattle...
Old 06-02-2006, 01:33 AM
5 Year Member

When I took mine to the dealer, they said the hatch rattle was really my fuel door release cable flopping around. They insulated it and it still rattles. I think the workmanship on these cars just sucks.
Old 06-02-2006, 01:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Did you take it back and tell them that wasn't it?
Old 06-02-2006, 06:30 AM
5 Year Member

No, since it was the third time ive taken it to the dealership for the same problem, i figured id just call Scion Customer Service which I did today. I think i'll get better results with Scion anyways.
Old 06-03-2006, 10:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScioNRG

i know it's way past winter in NJ, i'm new to this whole forum thing so....Here's my problem, in the winter when it's i guess below freezing and you open your trunk, then go to close it the lock i guess freezes and you can't shut your trunk until it thaws out? I was going to take it to the dealership to have them look at it and they said they can't fix it unless it is actually doing it, I told them that I can't predict the weather or when it is going to happen so how can i make an appointment.
Old 06-05-2006, 06:16 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by stink05tc
i know it's way past winter in NJ, i'm new to this whole forum thing so....Here's my problem, in the winter when it's i guess below freezing and you open your trunk, then go to close it the lock i guess freezes and you can't shut your trunk until it thaws out? I was going to take it to the dealership to have them look at it and they said they can't fix it unless it is actually doing it, I told them that I can't predict the weather or when it is going to happen so how can i make an appointment.
I think it has to do with the grease they use to lubricate the locking mechanism. When it gets very cold, the grease gets harder and actually inhibits movement. Try spraying some WD-40 or other such lubricant into the lock housing that actually engages onto the other part of the trunk.
Old 06-09-2006, 02:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Can I make a suggestion to the mods?

Whenever there is a thread created about sunroof rattle, it is just about immediately closed, citing this common tC fixes and FAQ's thread. Well, I've looked at the threads and not one about the actual sunroof rattling. Its an issue that I personally have, and have been to the dealer about it twice! The sunroof rattles over bumps in vent and opened positions, and it pops when it opens.
The dealership had my car the entire day to work on it with corporate Toyota engineers. Toyota engineers know the issue exists, but are unaware how to fix it. So I still have a rattling sunroof.

So next time you lock a thread down because someone mentions the sunroof rattling, dont immediately tell them to search and lock it. Mention what I've said and maybe put that in the sunroof rattle section of this Thread (it would be the only thing in the Sunroof/Rattle part that actually talks about the Sunroof itself).

Thanks for the consideration.

Quick Reply: Common tC Issues and Various Fixes