Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Common tC Issues and Various Fixes

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 11:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This might seem like an odd question, but do you wear white stick deodorant? Cause my friend at work always has white crap on his chair and it because his deodorant "flakes" off throughout the day. This sounds like the same deal- weird as it is
Old 04-13-2007, 12:58 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Not weird at all, but I wear a gel deodorant. I also have it on my passanger seat, which I dont ever sit in. I took it to the dealership yesterday and they said it looks like waterspots, but I know that there hasnt been any significant amount of water on the seats that could do this. One thing that I know when I owned my VW is that the detergents used on cleaning clothes could come of on the "sports cloth" seats. I let you know what the dealership can do to fix it today...
Old 04-19-2007, 03:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by MountScion1
Originally Posted by ChimChim
Hey sorry guys i'll post up the info from the dealership either later on today when i get home from work or tomorrow. I'll scan it in or just retype the write up from the dealership.

:-)
Hey Chimchim, just curious if you still have that info from the dealership, thanks.
Hey i know i alrady replied to you but this is for everyone else. Hope it helps. This is the write up from the dealership.

Body adjustments
CS/ There is a rattle in the sunroof or the rear hatch. Metal to metal contact of moon roof assembly to body. Performed bulletin NV007-06 and reassembled.

Exterior trim
Rattle still present in the RT/T after perfroming bulletin. Found metal to metal contact of body panels at pitch weld under the mon roof assembly.
Adjusted body seam & lubricated to correct noise
Old 04-19-2007, 07:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Good Job ack154 Gonna fix the rattling sound and the delay throttle.
Old 05-12-2007, 01:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hi im new and dont know how (or if u can) search with in a thread. but does any one have a rattle some where in the steering area. around under the dash possible cant really tell. its driving me crazy i just got my car the other day and it rattles mostly on a highway or bumps. some one help please.
Old 06-07-2007, 06:31 AM

i posted in the first sunroof thread to give the fix the mechanics use
Old 06-07-2007, 05:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tvdang7
hi im new and dont know how (or if u can) search with in a thread. but does any one have a rattle some where in the steering area. around under the dash possible cant really tell. its driving me crazy i just got my car the other day and it rattles mostly on a highway or bumps. some one help please.
check the fuse cover
Old 06-07-2007, 08:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

did it turns out the knee airbag is loose and i dont know how to pop it back in place.
Old 06-08-2007, 02:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

that can't be good. i would go to the dealer for that one.
Old 06-08-2007, 02:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by EnderSavesTheDay
Originally Posted by Spect2K3
it stops in the middle. I guess for safety. Whatever reason, its normal. It is supposed to close half-way, stop, then release and hold it again to finish closing.
it stops because it meets a little resistence by the wind deflector assembly... that's what I assumed...
Na, it's supposed to do that. It's not really b/c of the resistance - just how they designed it. They could have at least made it so you could hold it for 2 more seconds and close all the way - instead you have to release the button and press it again.

Originally Posted by twitrock
I was wondering if anyone else has or seen this problem.

I have notice that I get white bloches or they kind of look like fade marks on the front two seats. It's always on the outside bolster(sp) of the seat bottom and that's it. I tried cleaning it thinking that it was just something on the seats, but it comes back within a week or two.

Any help would be great!

Thanks,
Unfortunately that's kind of common. I have the same spots on my seat. It seems like it's from water, but they don't wash off, obviously. Not really sure what might work though... doubt the dealer can do much though.
Old 06-08-2007, 03:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^ yes!! stupid water spots. at least that's what they look like. mine are circular and i've got one or two on the center arm rest as well. honestly, i wonder if they are water spots. what if it's a sign that our sunroof is leaking?
Old 06-09-2007, 11:57 PM

anybody ever have their s t ock radio skip to a different station randomly or while switching the volume?
I'm just waiting to put in a new cd player....
Old 06-10-2007, 09:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have the funny white spots on the seats as well. i don't think there water spots. i think it's something to do with the fabric
Old 06-10-2007, 09:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tvdang7
i have this exact same thing too. sounds to me like it comes from where the windshield meets the dash or frame or possibly inside the dash.

the dealership said it was my DC strut bar....which i've had on for 2+ years with absolutely no noise.

it happens 80% of the time over rigid bumps going at least 15mph or faster.

annoying as any rattle i've ever had in the car. makes me forget about the hatch and radio.
Old 07-29-2007, 07:25 AM

I've had my tc since March, and just encountered my first car problem. About a week ago, I started to hear some noise above me when I was driving 60+ mph. I figured I had the infamous sunroof rattle.

Then I was driving down the freeway and "CLUNK"... I swore someone had thrown something over an overpass and hit the top of my car. When I got into my driveway, I looked... and found that the weatherstrip above the top of the windshield had ripped off on the left side, and the whole thing was hanging half-attached on the right side.

Has anyone else had this happened to them? I'm pretty certain it came off by itself, and not that something hit it first and ripped it off (the noise was probably it becoming unglued, and if something had hit my car there would be scratches... and there are none.)

Just curious.
Old 08-01-2007, 06:09 PM
SL Member

Nope hasn't happen to me and i hope it doesnt happen at all.

Btw, the other day, I noticed my fuel gauge wasn't reading properly after I filled up and it remained on F until I drove 140 miles. So now it just started to register and it reads 3/4 after 50 more miles of driving, but I know for sure I have a half tank left, maybe less. I wonder what caused this issue. Maybe it's just a problem with my sensor or maybe I go to the gas station only when the light turns on. Either way, I don't know, but I'm taking it to the dealership to have it looked at tomorrow. Warranty should cover it right?
Old 08-08-2007, 06:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hi guys. I have noticed three different issues since when I got my car; I am bringing it to the dealership today but wanted to know if anybody else have these issues. I have had my '08 tC for about a month. The issues are:

1. When I press on the brake, there is a small clicking sound. I have to turn off the stereo to hear it.
2. After driving, there is a weird burnt rubber smell coming from the engine compartment. My brother-in-law said it's because the car is new and the engine does that, but should the smell remains for a month?
3. Also after driving, I can hear water dripping (onto a metal component) inside the engine compartment. Anybody else also?

Thanks.
Old 08-08-2007, 07:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jas0nh
Hi guys. I have noticed three different issues since when I got my car; I am bringing it to the dealership today but wanted to know if anybody else have these issues. I have had my '08 tC for about a month. The issues are:

1. When I press on the brake, there is a small clicking sound. I have to turn off the stereo to hear it.
2. After driving, there is a weird burnt rubber smell coming from the engine compartment. My brother-in-law said it's because the car is new and the engine does that, but should the smell remains for a month?
3. Also after driving, I can hear water dripping (onto a metal component) inside the engine compartment. Anybody else also?

Thanks.
my brakes creek annoying and i had a gas smell but its gone now.
Old 08-09-2007, 02:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jas0nh

Thanks.
I'm guessing this is your first car?

1) Normal on Toyotas, My 04 Corolla does this but does not affect braking.
2) How strong is the smell. If it's very light, its normal but its real heavy, then you should have it check out. But since you have had the car only a month, take it to the dealer and see what they say.
3) That water dripping that sounds like its dripping on a metal piece is normal. Is it a fast drip or slow drip? It's normal when you shut the car off. Seems normal on every Toyota I've owned.
Old 08-09-2007, 07:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This is my first NEW car, and you're right, those are all normal :

1. Normal.
2. Normal smell coming from new engine.
3. Normal sound as metal expand or contract.

These are what the dealership told me.

Quick Reply: Common tC Issues and Various Fixes