2005-2010 [ANT10]

Condensation in the CD player?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2005, 05:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Condensation in the CD player?

Ok, had a new problem I've not heard of before. I did a search and found nothing on this, so here goes.

I'm driving down the highway, happy as a clam, AC set on maximum cold and the fan on the highest setting. I've got it set so that it is all blowing out the front vents. I've got a CD in the player, and in mid-song it suddenly cuts out to silence. The display says "error". Then after a bit the radio comes on.

I hit the eject button and nothing. I hit the power button. Hit the power button again. The radio comes on, and "CD In" is blinking, but the CD won't register. I hit the eject button. By now I'm at my destination and pulled over. Hit the eject button again, and I can see the edge of the CD ever so slightly sticking out but it won't come out. I hit the eject button again and it goes back in, but the display just says "CD Load" without ever finishing loading. I turn the car completely off with the ignition and turn it back on again. I hit the power button again and still nothing and by know I'm about ready to give up on the damn thing so I get out of the car, lock up, and go inside to take care of business.

About an hour later I am done and go out to the car. I turn the engine and the pioneer does its normal greeting and its playing the CD just fine. I hit the eject button, and the CD comes out, but get this: IT IS WET!

Its completely covered in condensation! I use a cloth I keep in the car for cleaning my sunglasses to clean the CD and put it back in and it works just fine.

Anyone else have a problem like this? I think what happened was that I ran the AC so cold for so long that the CD player got cold enough that condensation caused it to stop working. Seems to me like a bad design if this is even a possibility. Is there something wrong with my AC? Maybe the condensation wasn't draining away properly because something is plugged?

Anyhow, it is strange and annoying.
Old 05-24-2005, 05:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

take it to the dealer. maybe there was moisture buildup and some of it dripped onto the headunit? just a guess. i would take it to the dealer anyways
Old 05-28-2005, 05:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Condensation in the CD player?

Originally Posted by mfbenson
Ok, had a new problem I've not heard of before. I did a search and found nothing on this, so here goes.

Anyone else have a problem like this? I think what happened was that I ran the AC so cold for so long that the CD player got cold enough that condensation caused it to stop working. Seems to me like a bad design if this is even a possibility. Is there something wrong with my AC? Maybe the condensation wasn't draining away properly because something is plugged?

Anyhow, it is strange and annoying.
you're not alone.. since some people have heard how i went through THREE stock headunits before I got one that works.. this condensation happened on the 2nd one I had.. it also wouldn't eject cd's properly either. I know that physics does play a role in causing condensation on the cd's themselves even the owners manual has an error for this (you saw it).. but.. i noticed that the 2nd headunit i had did this a lot more than the other two i have had.. this third one is fine no problems at all..

if it happens a lot more i'd go to the dealer and make them warranty this and give you a new headunit.. let us know what happens
Old 05-29-2005, 04:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hasn't happened again since. So far it is an isolated incident, but this summer I'm going to be using the A/C a lot more (Texas, you know) so we'll see how it goes.