Construction Spray Paint on my Car

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2005, 05:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

Default Construction Spray Paint on my Car

I was driving to work last week and was down to one lane of traffic going through a construction zone. The cars were pretty tight together because everyone was headed for work. The truck in front of me hit something and I just happened to see a can spinning around in a circle by the curb. It turns out that can was an aerosol spray paint can that must have fallen out of a construction truck and had the top broken off.

When I got to work, I looked at the passenger side of my car and now have splatters of orange paint halfway up the side of my car. On the lower trim under the door, it is about 50% covered with the orange paint. Plus, a little got on my Enkei rims and in the fenderwells.

Every day I see the orange spot on the pavement on my way to work and I get angry because the workers weren't being responsible with their equipment.

I am curious if the construction company is responsible to get my car cleaned up since it was their can of paint spinning in the road and I had nowhere to go? The orange spot from the paint is still on the road and it is in the construction zone.

If they aren't responsible, does anyone know a way to get the spray paint off my car without harming the clear coat?
Old 10-17-2005, 06:10 PM
5 Year Member

SL Member

had a buddy's car get vandalized a while back with some spray paint and it just wiped right off.

Then again, he also had about a dozen layers of Zaino Polish built up.

That sucks, bro and it's a really tough call as to who is responsible. Good luck on whatever the outcome is.
Old 10-17-2005, 06:19 PM
Emo
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You can use McGuire's Clay Bar to get it right off.. it's amazing stuff... yesterday I had to use it to get off little white spots of paint off my BSP...

-Emo
Old 10-17-2005, 06:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

I was wondering if a clay bar would take the spraypaint off. I have never used clay before but have been considering getting it. I might go out and get some tonight to try. Still makes me mad about the can in the middle of the road though.
Old 10-17-2005, 06:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Unless you have film of them putting the can of paint in the road and witnesses about the film, the const company can and will say it wasn't their paint... sorry...
But, I agree with the clay bar.. I have some overspray on my windshield from the idiots in the building next to where we park...
Old 10-17-2005, 06:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I say at least take pics of the curb, try and get pics of a can of their paint, pics of your car, and right down (or print out) what you just told us. That way if the clay does'nt work you got a pretty god case in small claims. Good luck.
Old 10-17-2005, 06:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS
Scion Evolution

Well, sometime back I was forced drive on a road that the city was repaving. As you know, after driving on this new road, my car was covered in freshly laid tar. Nothing would take it off.

To make a along story short, I was forced to use lighter fuild. Came right off. Then clayed bared it and a good wax job. Came out as good as new. Keep in mind my car is white as a darker color may not work.

Good luck!
Old 10-17-2005, 07:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ive actually used lacquer thinner to get off some paint overspray and tree sap in the past. Its sounds scary, but if used in small amounts and cleaned off right away, it will not harm the paint. Ive been detailing cars for over 10 years and havent ever had a problem using it.

***I am not responsible if you ruin your paint trying this***
Old 10-19-2005, 07:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by The_Instigator
Ive actually used lacquer thinner to get off some paint overspray and tree sap in the past. Its sounds scary, but if used in small amounts and cleaned off right away, it will not harm the paint. Ive been detailing cars for over 10 years and havent ever had a problem using it.

last line. LOL
Old 10-19-2005, 08:11 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by bubblemyster

last line. LOL
ditto here smart save on bubblemester's behalf. haha.
Old 10-19-2005, 01:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah laquer thinner is some strong stuff, and can take off about anything it touches. this would be my absolute last approach.
Old 10-19-2005, 03:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Its not as bad as it seems actually. It evaporates very quickly so it wont sit on the paint and eat through it. If he used a q-tip and dabbed at the areas carefully, and then wiped off any residue with a damp rag or some spray detailer, it would remove the spray paint and thinner and not damage the clear coat. Im not saying to douse a rag and wipe down the car with it. Follow up with a little polish and it will be good as new.
Old 10-19-2005, 04:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Here's the deal as it was told to me by my Auto body Prof in college; Because most paints are polyurethane (especially newer, post 1985, cars) thinner will not affect your paint. If you want to find out though, take a clean light colored rag, moisten with thinner, wipe on a discrete area of your vehicle. Let the rag dry. If there still remains a dark area (clear coat) then do not use the thinner. Because the thinner is not the same as the base for the paint it will not act as a solvent. Good luck.
Old 10-19-2005, 04:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Orange construction paint should come right off.. When we would layout our lines with it and the next day it would rain it would come right up.. Just hit it with some water and wipe it off.. Or the clay bar.. either way you should be fine.... If it was me I would be pretty mad still.
Old 10-19-2005, 04:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by MikeC
Here's the deal as it was told to me by my Auto body Prof in college; Because most paints are polyurethane (especially newer, post 1985, cars) thinner will not affect your paint. If you want to find out though, take a clean light colored rag, moisten with thinner, wipe on a discrete area of your vehicle. Let the rag dry. If there still remains a dark area (clear coat) then do not use the thinner. Because the thinner is not the same as the base for the paint it will not act as a solvent. Good luck.
Thank you...Like I said Ive used it many times in the past with no problems. FYI, I find that Laquer thinner from a hardware store is weaker (safer for paint) than thinner from an auto parts store. I prefer to use the hardware store variety.
Old 10-19-2005, 08:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by MikeC
Thank you...Like I said Ive used it many times in the past with no problems. FYI, I find that Laquer thinner from a hardware store is weaker (safer for paint) than thinner from an auto parts store. I prefer to use the hardware store variety.
I know yall are right in this, but to me that is just as dangerous as taking a sh*t over a well.... I'd try lighter fluid first....