Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

convincing parents to let me upgrade??? PLZ HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 02:29 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default convincing parents to let me upgrade??? PLZ HELP!!!

anyone have ANY more reasons that i can use on my parents so they will let me add mods to my car? my dad says, "i paid for it, and you don't need to accessorize and add on to your car, when you buy your own car, you can do whatever you like to it." and of course my mom doesn't "want" me too, but doesn't wanna do anything about it. Underglow, new Injen CAI and Injen axle-back exhaust is on my list, and $ is ready and everything. i just need a reason, mainly for the exhaust and underglow, b/c its the more physical part of the car. and i told him that everything is undo-able, (just incase, but i doubt it) i just need to put up a good fight. any help? S-techs are also on my list, but those will be easier, b/c i can just be like, ya, the stock shocks, drop a bit after they;ve settled after a few thousand miles. they won't mind that as much. thanks SL
Old 10-12-2006, 02:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

just do it... they wont know unless they see u actually doing it. and if they find out whats done is done... u mihgt get in a little trouble but o well.

what i did was just show my parents pics and sound clips of what im doing so they get a better understanding of it.
Old 10-12-2006, 02:37 AM
5 Year Member

I think your best bet is to do it and say it's not undo-able.

You could probably hide the underglow. I'm sure they'll notice everything else though.

Have you tried the "Everyone else is doing it" approach?
Old 10-12-2006, 02:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Well, it isn't your car, should you really be telling them what to do with "their" car? I know you really want to, but if they say no, then just listen to them. They already bought you a car to drive so if they're not letting you mod, appreciate it for what it is.
Old 10-12-2006, 02:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

bingo, its ur parents, they paid for it if they say no, then no is it. sorry.

although if you tell them davedave said to let you mod, they might let u

Old 10-12-2006, 02:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Tell them you want to be an Auto Technician or Automotive Engineer one day, and that you are really interested in cars. And maybe by tuning the car, it may be be something you want (or not want to do) in the future.
Old 10-12-2006, 02:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well there's always that gas effiency argument. It's a stretch but with gas being such a sensitive issue these days...hehehe
Old 10-12-2006, 02:46 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

for the cai, tell them that it helps save gas.. thats what i said. and for the exhaust, i was like.. yea the engine is too quiet so i dont hear the engine and i stall so i need an exhaust so i can hear it better. and for tint, i said that it keeps the inside cooler. and umm. the shocks you could say that the tc is high and with it being lower it would be safer?? if you want a turbo, i really cant think of an excuse there. ha.. oh and for hid, tell them that stock bulbs suck and its neccessary for safety. i used all these and they worked, but i dont think they cared cuz it was my own money and it was all undoable but oh well..
Old 10-12-2006, 02:46 AM
5 Year Member

I say just go ahead and mod the car, but make sure your on there good side about everything else. really you've already got the money doubt they'll do anything since the parts are already bought. Show them it makes no difference really and ur just trying to express yourself
Old 10-12-2006, 03:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Wow, all these young'ins having mommy buy them their car...lucky bastards
Old 10-12-2006, 03:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

lol right... if only i was that lucky
Old 10-12-2006, 03:15 AM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

U do it when they already told you not to ? Get into a lot of trouble that way. U shouldn't have told them ur gonna mod it in the first place then just do it.

The underglow, just do it and never turn it on when ur at home, they wont know. Go with any mod that they can't see hehe
Old 10-12-2006, 03:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hah brian, i was just about to say.

its your parents car, if you want your own car, should've gone for 1988 honda accord for $1500
Old 10-12-2006, 03:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

my parents warmed up to the idea. i just bought the parts and was like i know what im doing. and now my dad is getting into modding. =] he bought me my springs!
Old 10-12-2006, 03:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

One thing you don’t want to do is mod the car without them knowing, because if they know anything they will question you. But if it is absolutely necessary to mod your car then I would say be very secretive about it and such.

When I first started fixing up my car my dad really didn’t like it, but he realized that its what I love to do, and that I only use name brand parts so he finally gave me the okay to go ahead and do what I wanted to, that’s why my car looked like it did.

And as far as you saying the whole “the shocks settle” that is not gonna work.. because if they are normal parents they will think the shocks blew and when they take it into the dealer the dealer will tell them what really happened, and then you will get owned. I say this because s-techs are a major drop, and to be honest, s-techs will not increase safety, they will probably diminish it as far as cornering goes, as far as rollovers go, the closer you are to the ground, the least likely it is to happen.

But, if you really want the exhaust you can say it adds more mpg because in all honesty it does, I did it and it worked fine for me. But for the underglows, you have no excuse for that, except that you are 17 and you want unwanted attention.
Old 10-12-2006, 03:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

dude, their money, their car. MODS? our of your pocket? BS if it's from mom and dad, just suck it up. There's no need, for those especially when your only 17, all those mods to show off to your lil HS buddies, that mommy and daddy buy you, next thing you know your gonna f-in crash the danm thing. Should've bought you a used car.
Old 10-12-2006, 03:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah if they so then its no ... aha my parents say if you wanted to do stuff to this car we shouldnt have bought you this brand new car ... we shouldve just bought you a used civic to put all this i crap i want on haha oh yeah and they always say you dont need that haha
Old 10-12-2006, 03:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

i would really put the money towards buying the car from your parents and then play with it however you want
Old 10-12-2006, 03:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^I agree.
Old 10-12-2006, 04:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by Neothin
i would really put the money towards buying the car from your parents and then play with it however you want
Good suggestion.

Quick Reply: convincing parents to let me upgrade??? PLZ HELP!!!