Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

convincing parents to let me upgrade??? PLZ HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 12:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Wow, you are so ungrateful. Show your parents some respect.
Old 10-12-2006, 12:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Or you could wait until you are in college and then start modifying. That's what I did.
Old 10-12-2006, 01:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I agree with the ungreatful comment.

When i was 16 i was given a 1986 Chevy Celebrity and i had to go thourgh with getting Confirmed (2 years of religion class) to get it...

Then at 18 i bought myself a '90 Celica and then a '93 NX2000 at 20

Its your parent's name on the title, its their car, how would you like it if they started putting crap on a car you bought? "hey son, look at these nice peter frampton sitckers i got for your car, let me stick them on your car"
Old 10-12-2006, 01:57 PM
web
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, don't be greedy. It's not really your car and they can take it whenever they want. Until you get your own car and make your own payments on it, you shouldn't be able to modify it. You do realize that any mods that you put on that car, and let's say that you get in an accident and you never told your insurance about them, your dad can get even less value than the car is actually worth right? He can also get fined severely. It's called insurance fraud if he doesn't let the insurance know what is in that car (engine/suspension/emission wise). Just leave it stock and wait until you can take over payments or something. Get the car put in your name and then get parts for it.
Old 10-12-2006, 03:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Sorry to sound like an idiot, but do all insurance companies require you to tell them about mods, and if so, what kind?
Old 10-12-2006, 03:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

no. they just reimburst you as if your car is STOCK. Plus, that's why you save all the stock parts, you never know if you grow out of the mods, or need a temp part to replace the broken mod.
Old 10-12-2006, 03:30 PM
web
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you plan on being able to recover all of the actual value of your car, including the modification you've done, then yes. The company will only give you face value of the car in an accident, so if you have about 5K$ in the engine and wreck, you don't get that money. Yes, you premiums will shoot through the roof, but you will be covered incase of an accident. Anything that changes the emmissions, height stance, rideability of the vehicle, the insurance company must be notified.
Old 10-12-2006, 03:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

and btw the s-tecs settle in like a week
Old 10-12-2006, 03:31 PM
web
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

But, that's only if you want to pay high premiums. In that case, you might as well just trade the tC in and buy a G35/STI/Evo...
Old 10-12-2006, 04:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

Originally Posted by blackonblacktc
One thing you don’t want to do is mod the car without them knowing, because if they know anything they will question you. But if it is absolutely necessary to mod your car then I would say be very secretive about it and such.

When I first started fixing up my car my dad really didn’t like it, but he realized that its what I love to do, and that I only use name brand parts so he finally gave me the okay to go ahead and do what I wanted to, that’s why my car looked like it did.

And as far as you saying the whole “the shocks settle” that is not gonna work.. because if they are normal parents they will think the shocks blew and when they take it into the dealer the dealer will tell them what really happened, and then you will get owned. I say this because s-techs are a major drop, and to be honest, s-techs will not increase safety, they will probably diminish it as far as cornering goes, as far as rollovers go, the closer you are to the ground, the least likely it is to happen.

But, if you really want the exhaust you can say it adds more mpg because in all honesty it does, I did it and it worked fine for me. But for the underglows, you have no excuse for that, except that you are 17 and you want unwanted attention.
well said...yeah if you want a subtle drop that they wouldn't notice...then go with the TRD springs / shocks and since they're from the dealer, just say it's an upgrade, not a modification because they most likely won't notice the drop anyway. And the CAI and exhaust will help your mpg a little bit...CAI is easily concealed being under the hood and all...and if you want exhaust and don't wanna ____ off ur parents...get one with the OEM look...not the JDM "cannon" look. Check into Precision Muffler, Megan OEM style, TRD, Magnaflow, Borla...there's a lot that still look stock...

But, don't do it without the consent of your parents because it is THEIR car! Remember that they might just take it away too if you abuse that privelage by disobeying them. You can always ask and the worst outcome will be a "no", but don't disrespect your parents by doing something behind their back, you'll regret it as well as them. Because in all honesty...your parents probably just don't wanna have their kid driving around trying to be like the Fast and Furious
Old 10-12-2006, 05:21 PM
5 Year Member

I was in a similar situation with my first car, however, I bought my first car. 89' prelude B) big pimpin'. Anyway, I really wanted to get some aftermarket wheels, shocks & springs, and a few other goodies. However, my pops and brother kept telling me it isn't worth it (and he was right...an 89' prelude with 150k miles?! the thing would have been lucky to make 70 hp).

I was advised to take the money and spend it on auto cross time, kart school, books, etc. Instead of trying to make the car "better" make the driver "better". I understand you're mods don't necessarily pertain to increasing speeds or decreasing lap times, but it might be something to think about. You can never go wrong with better drivers out there on the road.

---Colin-
Old 10-12-2006, 05:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

suck it up, princess, when you buy the car you can do whatever you want to it. they bought it for you, maybe you should give them some of your hard-earned cash before ricing out your car.

(actually, giving them a small amount of $$ will convince them that you're responsible and can be trusted. who knows, start giving them $50 or $100/month and they very well may let you put whatever you want on/in it.
Old 10-12-2006, 05:58 PM
web
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^Good possibility.
Old 10-12-2006, 06:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Don't just do it and hope they don't find out. You should be proud of being a more honest person than that. Try harder to convince them if you really want to do it.. like one poster said, show them videos, pictures, give them information they can see and maybe they'll allow you to do it.

If not, then there's no value in risking your relationship or their trust in your responsibility over it. Save for your own car or spend your money on something else or just save up for later (I promise you'll find something you need, especially if you're going to college).
Old 10-12-2006, 06:15 PM
web
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Keep in mind; cars depreciate in value. Stay in school and go for more education than material goods.
Old 10-12-2006, 07:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Ha ha! I'm a parent, and can mod all I want! Well, ok I lied - my wife doesn't understand why I need all this stuff on my car either, so most of mine have been...shall we say....without her knowledge.
So, if it ain't the parents, it's the wife - get used to it. Life sucks. Perhaps we need to start the SSSM (Secret Society of Scion Modders), to help others in the same boat find believeable excuses and ways to mod without getting caught - I mean.... to stand up for ourselves as men and do whatever we want! (as long as the wife or parents say it's ok!).
Old 10-12-2006, 07:04 PM
web
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Lil_Deuce_tCoupe
Ha ha! I'm a parent, and can mod all I want! Well, ok I lied - my wife doesn't understand why I need all this stuff on my car either, so most of mine have been...shall we say....without her knowledge.
So, if it ain't the parents, it's the wife - get used to it. Life sucks. Perhaps we need to start the SSSM (Secret Society of Scion Modders), to help others in the same boat find believeable excuses and ways to mod without getting caught - I mean.... to stand up for ourselves as men and do whatever we want!

(as long as the wife or parents say it's ok!).

Exactly!
Old 10-12-2006, 07:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

lol....that's not a bad post.
Old 10-12-2006, 07:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just don't tell my parents when I get a mod. Something will come in the mail and they will be like "whats this" and Ill be like "somethin for my car" and they don't really care since I make the monthly payments. My dad is mad about me getting my tails smoked though because he thinks it will hurt the resell value so hes making me buy an extra set. They don't care as long as I pay for the mods and as long as it doesnt hurt the resell value to much.

If I were you I would tell your dad that you can remove all of the mods easily if something happens and you need to take them off.
Old 10-12-2006, 07:17 PM
web
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

that's only if he is going to be the one putting them on.

Quick Reply: convincing parents to let me upgrade??? PLZ HELP!!!