Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

convincing parents to let me upgrade??? PLZ HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 03:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Best idea yet...tell your parents that instead of them paying for your college (I'm assuming that they would, not such a stretch) they should give you the money for modz! That would be mad hawt. The best part would be showing off to your college-educated friends that have real jobs and drive nice cars at your 10 year high school reunion. Before that though, you could have the sweetest ride in the mcdonalds parking lot as you're flipping burgers!

Seriously though, it's your parents car. You don't get to do anything to it against thier will until you own it. I hope your parents have it in them to sell "your" car if you try to screw around with the extremely generous gift they gave you.
Old 10-17-2006, 03:45 PM
web
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by monkeysauce
Best idea yet...tell your parents that instead of them paying for your college (I'm assuming that they would, not such a stretch) they should give you the money for modz! That would be mad hawt. The best part would be showing off to your college-educated friends that have real jobs and drive nice cars at your 10 year high school reunion. Before that though, you could have the sweetest ride in the mcdonalds parking lot as you're flipping burgers!

Seriously though, it's your parents car. You don't get to do anything to it against thier will until you own it. I hope your parents have it in them to sell "your" car if you try to screw around with the extremely generous gift they gave you.

hahahahaha, nice!
Old 10-18-2006, 08:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

jsut say you only live once !
Old 10-18-2006, 09:16 AM
5 Year Member

hmm what i did was just while driving on the road if i saw a fixed up car i would just say oh mines gonna be like this and like that...blah blah parents say i wont let u do it. next thing u kno i had a new part every week for about 3 months. and just recently my dad found about all the parts i have due to my exhaust i just got about 3 weeks ago. and all he did was asked me where my stock parts were.

so my idea is just get it and see what happens. once its on they wont do much except complain.
Old 10-18-2006, 09:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by clownkillz
hmm what i did was just while driving on the road if i saw a fixed up car i would just say oh mines gonna be like this and like that...blah blah parents say i wont let u do it. next thing u kno i had a new part every week for about 3 months. and just recently my dad found about all the parts i have due to my exhaust i just got about 3 weeks ago. and all he did was asked me where my stock parts were.

so my idea is just get it and see what happens. once its on they wont do much except complain.
Id laugh when you wake up some day and your car is gone. Ive seen it happen cause the parents didnt like what they were doing.
Old 10-18-2006, 09:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

idk guys. im really grateful for my car and all, but when my hand-me-down broke down, i honestly was set on a two grand used 240 or something. but my dad would not let me use my saved up cash to buy it. he said he didnt want me to have someone elses problems or something. but i really wouldve settled for a beater to fix up. so instead we went out and he bought the tC. but really i dont think he can justify not letting me mod my car using the whole "he paid for it" deal cuz i wouldve settled for less. but it doesnt matter. he lets me mod the car just so long as i shop around for a good price and he knows what the part does. he even supported my sway bars! btw i at least pay for the mods and i am really grateful for the car.
Old 10-18-2006, 11:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It's still not your car, please understand that. Did you give your dad the money you were going to use to buy the beater? That would win you some respect.
Old 10-18-2006, 11:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

He insisted i keep it. I was paying the first few payments but i had to quit my job for family reasons so he gave the payment back to me. But trust me were it up to me i would be paying it.
Old 10-18-2006, 11:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by monkeysauce
It's still not your car, please understand that. Did you give your dad the money you were going to use to buy the beater? That would win you some respect.
True that. Brownie points!!!
Old 11-13-2006, 06:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

my parents said i couldnt mod my car... then i moved to san diego, away from my parents. my car is far from stock now! and funny thing is the car is still in my dad's name.
Old 11-13-2006, 06:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

has he still not convinced his parents?!
Old 11-13-2006, 04:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If I were in your dad's position - having bought a car, and stated in no-uncertain terms not to modify it, and saw that mods had indeed been done, you'd better believe my boy wouldn't be seeing that car for some time. Therefore, I'd suggest not modding it behind his back.

That said, lay out a reasonable and logical argument for your side- why would should be able to mod it, what mods you want, how much they'll cost and what they'll do for you. If he bites, then you're in the clear. If not, let it drop and be happy with the fact that you're driving a brand new car that someone else paid for.
Old 11-13-2006, 06:35 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

That's easy. Market it to them as safety.

Yeah Mom, if I get the special springs the car handles better. I can swerve out of the way much safer.

etc...
Old 11-14-2006, 03:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One
SL Member

bah. It took me three months to convince my parents to let me drop a sound system into my '92 Accord with their money...just keep at it and they'll give in eventually. They bought me my tC as well and they don't care if I do something to it as long as I get it installed professionally. They're probably afraid of something getting ____ed up...assure them that nothing will be and you should be g2g.
Old 11-14-2006, 03:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Gui35sa
That's easy. Market it to them as safety.

Yeah Mom, if I get the special springs the car handles better. I can swerve out of the way much safer.

etc...
I like this idea.
"Mom, The intake/exhaust sound will alert the other drivers of my presence and therefore raise their awareness of my position and decrase my chance of accidents".
If they hear u, they'll know your there.